Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,312
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:05:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Machynlleth Comedy Festival 2022

Started by BritishHobo, December 01, 2021, 05:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Des Wigwam

Absolutely flew by. I had to drive through about midday and tried not to look at the crews dismantling the main stage in the leisure centre.

You've described Sam Nicoresti much better than I did. I enjoyed KPM's material on the subject but his take and approach was a bit more of a jolt.

Like you I noticed the number of comedian's going to both their gigs. It may be that they move in the same circles or it may be that there's some hype building within the industry.

Side note @BritishHobo  did you notice - before the Nicoresti gig there seemed to be some upset with a couple of performers - like a gig had gone very very badly. Their support people (friends but also couple of organisers) seemed very sombre and trying to console them. I won't write a name as it's then googleable and this is just me being nosy. 

There were a lot of other comics in Anna Mann's show too. I didn't realise she/Colin Hoult had that level of pull. It's not my usual sort of thing, but it was a very funny show - albeit maybe ten minutes too long.

I think that was my favourite Mach ever. Everyone I came across was sound, and I had a top hit rate with shows. Really got the post-festival blues now.

up_the_hampipe

Did anyone go to James Acaster's WIP? Can't seem to get tickets for that when he does it anywhere. Wondering how the show is shaping up.

BritishHobo

I did! I don't really know the etiquette on spoilers for WiP stuff but so I'll keep it vague at the moment, but it seemed very polished as an hour. A lot of other works in progress this weekend were still at the "not sure if this will make it on" stage, but this felt easily like a finished show, and absolutely stands up. It's well-rounded in terms of its narrative,  it's all there and it all connects in a very satisfying way. Obviously given the name of the show, there's scope for hecklers, but I got the feeling he's approached the show with the intention not to let his responses derail the structure.

I really really enjoyed it; seemed like a natural evolution of the stuff he talks about in Cold Lasagne (which I will forever regret not going to see at Mach 2018, even if it meant I got to see Nish Kumar sing all of Alexander Hamilton from Hamilton), and reinforces his incredibly rare status as a comedian who is both sincere and brave enough to actually say what he wants, rather than just what audiences want to hear. Killer right from the opening setup.

If you're after any specific information about the content let me know; as I say, I'm not too familiar with the etiquette as I basically only see stand-up on this one weekend.

up_the_hampipe

Oh interesting, thanks for the rundown! I'd heard from a previous WIP that he was just trying to tell stories and it was all very loose, I'm impressed to hear that he's put together a really tight hour already. Is it in the vein of his classic scrapes or is it more towards the Cold Lasange weightier side?

BritishHobo

Quote from: Des Wigwam on May 02, 2022, 06:48:23 PMAbsolutely flew by. I had to drive through about midday and tried not to look at the crews dismantling the main stage in the leisure centre.

Like you I noticed the number of comedian's going to both their gigs. It may be that they move in the same circles or it may be that there's some hype building within the industry.

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on May 02, 2022, 10:37:10 PMThere were a lot of other comics in Anna Mann's show too. I didn't realise she/Colin Hoult had that level of pull. It's not my usual sort of thing, but it was a very funny show - albeit maybe ten minutes too long.

I think that was my favourite Mach ever. Everyone I came across was sound, and I had a top hit rate with shows. Really got the post-festival blues now.

I wondered whether the number of comedians in the audiences was down to a smaller turnout - from what I saw it looks like the performers have their own coloured wristband that gets them into any show as long as there are seats free. So they'll wait to the side until the queue goes in, and if there's any space left (or if they can pack 'em in) then they'll be let in. It may just be the nature of the current fame-level of that group though, as I was seeing them everywhere, including the campsite, but didn't see hide nor hair of Nish, Acaster, Ed Gamble or the like, who presumably stay out of the way in their secret elite backrooms while we SLUM IT (this is meant to be affectionate sorry I love everyone at Mach Fest).

I'm definitely feeling the blues. I think because it was my first time going with people since 2017, but it absolutely sped by, and I'm missing it very much. Don't know what to do with my day now I haven't got the Mach schedule to repeatedly trawl through in anticipation.

BritishHobo

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 03, 2022, 08:48:06 PMOh interesting, thanks for the rundown! I'd heard from a previous WIP that he was just trying to tell stories and it was all very loose, I'm impressed to hear that he's put together a really tight hour already. Is it in the vein of his classic scrapes or is it more towards the Cold Lasange weightier side?

I'd say it's a nice middle-ground. Very much a series of classic scrapes rather than the bigger stories in Cold Lasagne, but still with a strong throughline that leads into emotional vulnerability and a clear theme.

Des Wigwam

I am just about getting over it now. Terrible.

I know what you mean about seeing comedians everywhere. It was like Sean Morley was following me around at one point - which was great. Apart from that it was loads of faces I recognised but knew it wasn't people I know.

I didn't see any Names apart from Nish K in the distance at the Big Top on Saturday evening. Last time it was Mark Watsons and Rhod Gilberts wherever you turned. As you say - the elite cabal probably all gather at the back of Caffi Alys or somewhere.