Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,187
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:50:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I Never Hear The Term "Social Distancing" Anymore

Started by MortSahlFan, December 14, 2021, 11:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MortSahlFan

from our "leaders"

I think its the only thing that works, but Biden doesn't wanna hurt his economy numbers. And since he was elected, CNN refuses to show daily/total deaths.

If people would have seriously locked down, this thing could have been under control. So instead of 3 weeks or even 3 months of a lock-down, we're almost in YEAR 3.

Fambo Number Mive

I don't know much about CNN, but I do agree with you that there was no attempt to try and eradicate covid in the USA (or the UK for that matter) like there was in Australia. The pandemic really showed how capitalism and public health don't mix.

Now in the UK we have nightclubs open because the government won't do the logical thing and furlough nightclub staff and close the nightclubs. Imagine how easy it is for covid to spread in a packed, mainly maskless nightclub. I know there are covid passports now but I don't think they are enough. 

MojoJojo

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on December 15, 2021, 09:33:54 AMI don't know much about CNN, but I do agree with you that there was no attempt to try and eradicate covid in the USA (or the UK for that matter) like there was in Australia. The pandemic really showed how capitalism and public health don't mix.

Very different circumstances. By the time it was realised how serious covid was it was too late to try and "eradicate" covid. There are huge sections of the population for which isolation just isn't possible, and once covid was in them eradication isn't possible.

The tory government fucked a lot of things up, but the idea that covid could have been eradicated by better leadership is not realistic. And considering the damage to the economy that has been done, the tories would have liked to keep covid out. It's not as if Australia has a particularly left wing government.

Crenners

Turns out that's bollocks because plenty of countries cunted it right off.

chveik

shoulders

To an extent, I still think it is likely that a coordinated global lockdown via UN and WHO with a phased rotation of essential workers could have snuffed this out and perhaps still could be the way to go, saving lives and economic damage, but the conspiracists have probably made that impossible.

MojoJojo

Quote from: chveik on December 15, 2021, 07:58:12 PMi guess China, Vietnam and the like don't exist

177 and 175 on the press freedom index there. Out of 180.

chveik

lol. i doubt it will be much comfort for the thousands of people needlessly dying of covid

chveik

Quote from: shoulders on December 15, 2021, 08:07:21 PMbut the conspiracists have probably made that impossible.

nah not locking down suits the interest of capital, antivaxxers don't have much weight in the matter.

MojoJojo

Quote from: chveik on December 15, 2021, 09:57:01 PMlol. i doubt it will be much comfort for the thousands of people needlessly dying of covid

My point wasn't "mah freedoms", my point was it's extremely naive to take their claims of zero covid at face value. They routinely suppress bad news.

bgmnts

Quote from: MojoJojo on December 15, 2021, 09:24:27 PM177 and 175 on the press freedom index there. Out of 180.

If the country was riddled with covid and fucking it up to the same level as we around, you'd assume there'd be a fair bit of shit leaking out wouldnt you regardless of press freedom.

Crenners

Quote from: MojoJojo on December 15, 2021, 10:11:05 PM.

Shame to see you go full loon over the last year or so. I don't know anyone's individual circumstances but I always enjoyed your posts. All the best.

chveik

Quote from: MojoJojo on December 15, 2021, 10:11:05 PMMy point wasn't "mah freedoms", my point was it's extremely naive to take their claims of zero covid at face value. They routinely suppress bad news.

i don't trust what our press says about those countries either. remember the disinformation about lab leaks and mass cremations?

Rizla

The idea was never really that social distancing, lockdowns, wfh etc were gonna cunt covid off, but that they'd relieve the pressure on the NHS, stop it collapsing, give them time to build up capacity OH LOOK 2 YEARS LATER STILL NO MORE MONEY FOR NHS LOL IT GONNA GET OVERWHELMED!! SOZ!!! GUESS U GUYS BEST LOCKDOWN AGAIN!!!  AGAIN AND AGAIN!!!!!!

Crenners

Anyone still desagree we should have locked down in Feb 2019? 🎃🎃🎃

imitationleather

Quote from: Crenners on December 15, 2021, 10:46:23 PMAnyone still desagree we should have locked down in Feb 2019? 🎃🎃🎃

Might have been a bit premature but sure why the hell not?

MojoJojo

Quote from: Crenners on December 15, 2021, 10:46:23 PMAnyone still desagree we should have locked down in Feb 2019? 🎃🎃🎃

Was anyone suggesting it?

Quote from: chveik on December 15, 2021, 10:29:14 PMi don't trust what our press says about those countries either. remember the disinformation about lab leaks and mass cremations?

Fair enough, and I agree. That doesn't mean they are evidence a country can eliminate covid once it is established, which is what you were trying to do.

beanheadmcginty

I never hear the term "social distancing from white dogshit" any more. What's that all about?

Cold Meat Platter

If no one trusts what the press says, where the fuck are people getting their information from? Are they just always where stuff is happening?

The Mollusk

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on December 17, 2021, 03:01:43 AMIf no one trusts what the press says, where the fuck are people getting their information from? Are they just always where stuff is happening?

According to a message someone sent my dad this week, sites called Resistance and Crusty Travellers. I wish I were making the latter up for a laugh but it's 100% true - this 66 year old woman is getting advice from ket-hoofing squatters.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on December 17, 2021, 03:01:43 AMIf no one trusts what the press says, where the fuck are people getting their information from? Are they just always where stuff is happening?

I trust some of what the press says. For example, I think the UK numbers are what they say they are, because they are really bad.

racecar bed indy 500

Quote from: bgmnts on December 15, 2021, 10:12:05 PMIf the country was riddled with covid and fucking it up to the same level as we around, you'd assume there'd be a fair bit of shit leaking out wouldnt you regardless of press freedom.

yeah, i feel like western outlets (and intelligence agencies, more to the point. gotta keep the cold war and imperial power going after all.) would love to get anything credible that indicates places like Vietnam aren't actually doing as good as they appear to be with covid from everything I've read about them. There's no way its as bad as the US/UK. I'll fry a mask up on the stove and eat it if they've fucked up anywhere near as bad.