Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:41:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Louis CK special - "Sorry"

Started by dirkgonnadirk, December 18, 2021, 11:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: peanutbutter on December 19, 2021, 04:32:02 AMQuite a lot of his rep by the time the news came out was via positioning himself as something of a bastion of wokeness. It's the hypocrisy that's killed him and I'm still not totally sure he is now aware he was doing it.

I liked Louis a lot before he became the Ingmar Bergman of sitcoms about wanking off, and I was totally disgusted by his deliberate positioning of himself as a feminist or woke in his shows and series. It was unbearably cynical - it was like every weird forty-something creep trying to sleep with twenty-somethings on Tumblr in 2011. A lot of his moralising stuff seemed deliberately pitched to be meme-able, gif-ready; talking down to a younger audience. It was obnoxious and transparent, really leaves you wondering in hindsight how he got away with it - but I guess having the status to position yourself squarely on the Good Guys team is teflon. His material around this time was tin-eared enough to leave no doubt whatsoever in my mind that the rumours were true.

His original presentation as sleazy, selfish bastard who hates himself because he has liberal ideals he can't hold himself to was a good comic persona. The neutron star dense mass of male guilt and privilege checking to cover the fact his character does almost-rapes and manipulates people was creepy as fuck. All that shit with his daughters in his series was so fucking dark and exploitative its hard to believe he managed to keep it rolling that far and still get near universal acclaim as a guy who 'gets it'.

My partner liked Louis as much as I did, but she went from spending most of the episodes/shows laughing to yelling at the screen. At one point she threw a seat cushion at the TV and described Louis as reminscent of every creepy dude at feminists meetings or blog circles who turns every conversation back to rape no matter what, or the aforementioned 40-somethings who haunted sites like Tumblr asking college students to explain intersectionality to them. Seeing him get massive acclaim for this stuff was baffling. Who was the audience for joke-free fake art movies where a sleazebag you saw verbally abuse a woman a few scenes ago plaintively explains social justice to his daughter? Were Gawker and AV just running it in the background, noticing half of it was in black and white then calling it brilliant?

The first two series of his Louie will probably hold up but a lot of water is going to have to pass under the bridge for them to find an audience again. I don't doubt he's still moderately funny, but never he's going to ever do anything significant again, he's too oblivious and unaware to realise how he got Maestro status in the first place and exactly why he lost it.

chveik

Video Game Fan 2000

It's more that he clearly thought that if he crafted a Good Guy image in the media he could treat people however he pleased. It worked, it took years for any of it to be taken seriously.

Video Game Fan 2000

peanutbutter

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on December 19, 2021, 01:11:26 PMIt's more that he clearly thought that if he crafted a Good Guy image in the media he could treat people however he pleased. It worked, it took years for any of it to be taken seriously.
I think even in the kind of assaults and abuses of power which he done there seemed to be a pretty clear cognitive dissonance going on, which is why I'm not sure he's ever fully realised.

In his mind I imagine he was telling himself he was crafting an image of a helpless loser who is _trying_ to be better but often ultimately failing, and letting himself think the acclaim was coming from the openness rather than the fact he was presenting some of his shitty behaviour as examples of things he might be instinctually compelled to do but ultimately would have the sense/decency to refrain from.

Video Game Fan 2000

I find it really hard to believe that his influential friends wouldn't have intervened and made him act on it earlier if that was the case. The whole thing took years unravel. The only reason he made a statement is that eventually he was pressured into it. If there was cognitive dissonance going on its hard to imagine him still rolling with the ultra-cynical woke persona while people were pleading with him to make a statement about his well-known history of sexual assault.

The cognitive dissonance is probably more about what he thought he could get away with than what he did.

QuoteIn his mind I imagine he was telling himself he was crafting an image of a helpless loser who is _trying_ to be better but often ultimately failing,

I think he clearly flipped from this to the didactic Maestro who explains feminism and racism to people through his art. It's really hard not to see the flip from the loser who is sincere but lacks the will to be better, to the SJW Maestro, as a knowing move on his part. The message of Louie ultimately became "Louie is a loser but Louis a genius", and I hated it about as much as I ever hated work from someone I used to love. I felt like having been taken for a ride by someone else's abusive boss.

peanutbutter

Yep, I think you're right that by the time shit was catching up with him he had definitely flipped into embracing the whole notion he was some super woke genius. Along with that a more ruthless self-preservation streak to maintain levels of reverance he probably couldn't have dreamt of 10 years earlier.

I think he was a bit snookered by the time that flip occurred though. He really needed to be a lot more explicit about what a cunt he was from before the mainstream bestowed that role onto him; if I were to pin a point of no return it was probably Hilarious which is relatively early on in his rise.

Video Game Fan 2000

He was so up his arse by the end he seemed to genuinely think that I Love You Daddy would redeem him. We were spared the transgressive provocateur era.

whatabulb

Does anyone have a recommendation for any decent forums to discuss comedy specials

madhair60

g0m

Quote from: whatabulb on December 19, 2021, 02:32:34 PMDoes anyone have a recommendation for any decent forums to discuss comedy specials

i think the issue is that everyone who watched this one is going to be someone who felt comfortable giving louis ck $10 in December of 2021. so kind of a self-selecting demographic

Replies From View

MortSahlFan

Oh my gosh, the piousness. Toeing the establishment line. So brave!!!

I give this a 7/10, better than his last couple specials. "2017" wasn't good, but every one of his specials was great up until then, and I think besides the first bit about pedophilia (kinda lazy, shock for shock value), most was good, especially the idea of writing a movie you're in. COVID, and how everyone is going through it, something to unite people. I especially liked the Jews in America vs. Jews in Palestine - I'm guessing the (fake) pious Puritans here probably support apartheidisrael, being the trendy justice whoriors.

Some other good stuff. Went by very fast, I knew it was an hour long, and thought he'd do an encore, because it flew by. I laughed. I enjoyed it. There's only so few comedy specials coming out, hope he does more.

I hope this makes a billion dollars just to piss off those who are crying right now.  I think corporate America wants to get rid of anything talented to make room for talent-less cunts who have no point of view beyond the trivial and gossip - national enquirer of non-entertainment. Comedy will always be used to tell truth with humor if its done correctly. Never expected so much bitchery from a message board on comedy.

Artistic license.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: MortSahlFan on December 19, 2021, 03:51:05 PMOh my gosh, the piousness. Toeing the establishment line. So brave!!!

I give this a 7/10, better than his last couple specials. "2017" wasn't good, but every one of his specials was great up until then, and I think besides the first bit about pedophilia (kinda lazy, shock for shock value), most was good, especially the idea of writing a movie you're in. COVID, and how everyone is going through it, something to unite people. I especially liked the Jews in America vs. Jews in Palestine - I'm guessing the (fake) pious Puritans here probably support apartheidisrael, being the trendy justice whoriors.

Some other good stuff. Went by very fast, I knew it was an hour long, and thought he'd do an encore, because it flew by. I laughed. I enjoyed it. There's only so few comedy specials coming out, hope he does more.

I hope this makes a billion dollars just to piss off those who are crying right now.  I think corporate America wants to get rid of anything talented to make room for talent-less cunts who have no point of view beyond the trivial and gossip - national enquirer of non-entertainment. Comedy will always be used to tell truth with humor if its done correctly. Never expected so much bitchery from a message board on comedy.

Artistic license.

Your catchphrases never fail to amuse, fair play.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: MortSahlFan on December 19, 2021, 03:51:05 PMI'm guessing the (fake) pious Puritans here probably support apartheidisrael, being the trendy justice whoriors.

Yes this forum is famously pro-Israel so this observation makes a lot of sense. Can't get enough Israel over here. Particularly the apartheid stuff. Fuckin love it mate.

selectivememory

Quote from: MortSahlFan on December 19, 2021, 03:51:05 PMOh my gosh, the piousness. Toeing the establishment line. So brave!!!

Artistic license.

MortSahlFan

I refuse to watch a stand-up comedian who masturbates, but I'll make an exception for him.

Hobo With A Shit Pun

Pity his cancellation wasn't as permanent as Mort Sahl's.

chveik

McDead

I watched half of this and didn't rate it, to be honest. The material was no better or worse than his earlier stuff that I liked, but I just didn't click with this at all. It seemed oddly by the numbers, somehow. As a performer he didn't seem defeated or angered or even fundamentally changed by his situation, he seemed - as always - complacent. Some fairly inane observations compounded by moments of rote shock stuff. The stuff with the James Bond asshole... Just crap. Bill Hicks was doing more transgressive anus schtick in 1992.

I've spent ten quid on this rubbish, so I'll probably finish it tonight, but I'm not expecting the rest to be much better. It feels like his moment, in one way or another, has passed.

Replies From View

Quote from: Hobo With A Shit Pun on December 19, 2021, 04:30:48 PMPity his cancellation wasn't as permanent as Mort Sahl's.

Indeed.  If anything what he did was even worse than Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator.

madhair60

Artistic license.

ok, now I know this isn't worth watching

up_the_hampipe

Louis doesn't seem to do the more hashed out thoughtful material from his peak (2007-2013 roughly) and now seems mostly focused on just talking about arbitrary shit he finds funny, as well as saying shocking things to excite his new audience. It's him fucking around for the most part, and I enjoyed some of it. The Good Will Hunting and "it's like 9/11 everyday" bits are probably the highlights.

Replies From View

Why do you never hear of Lee Evans being cancelled

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Replies From View on December 19, 2021, 05:08:07 PMWhy do you never hear of Lee Evans being cancelled

Far too sweaty to get a good enough grasp on his erect penis to bash one out in front of someone that he's trapped in a hotel room.

Replies From View

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on December 19, 2021, 05:28:12 PMFar too sweaty to get a good enough grasp on his erect penis to bash one out in front of someone that he's trapped in a hotel room.

I always assumed he would find a way around it

Video Game Fan 2000

He could try repeatedly falling on his penis until climax.

mr. logic

I genuinely didn't get the black woman banana bit. I understand the allusion he's implying but I don't get why the whole moment made him uncomfortable

MortSahlFan

Quote from: madhair60 on December 19, 2021, 04:50:52 PMok, now I know this isn't worth watching

No, you shouldn't watch it.. Go watch something trendy like "he/him"