Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:42:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Louis CK special - "Sorry"

Started by dirkgonnadirk, December 18, 2021, 11:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

If nothing else it's shown me what I long suspected about Mortsahlfan.

I imagine this is a load of hackneyed shit but I'm going to pretend I find it funny to own the libs etc etc

ajsmith2

Is it as good as the Ronnie Corbett show of the same name?

McDead

Hobo With A Shit Pun

madhair60

Quote from: MortSahlFan on December 19, 2021, 05:50:23 PMNo, you shouldn't watch it.. Go watch something trendy like "he/him"

When the imdb forums closed and you had to move over to Reddit, was that a particularly sad day for you?

McChesney Duntz

Is "he/him" even a thing to watch? What the hell is that supposed to mean, man?

aunt mildred

I think that's what's called a "burn" by these young uns nowadays, you know the ones in the shopping centres.

good times

Quote from: peanutbutter on December 19, 2021, 04:32:02 AMQuite a lot of his rep by the time the news came out was via positioning himself as something of a bastion of wokeness. It's the hypocrisy that's killed him and I'm still not totally sure he is now aware he was doing it.

I remember a lot of the anger at the time of the wanking revelations was driven by this perception of hypocrisy (and I had much the same reaction myself) but in the last couple of years I've struggled to recall what he actually did to position himself in this manner, and thought maybe it was a weird collective perception thing based on the fact that he occasionally had good things to say about women and, more often, how men (usually him) are pieces of shit.

Nothing from his stand ups or talk show appearances (the ones I've seen) spring to mind, so I'm guessing either bits from Louie (although I can't think of many right now, where he is calculatedly trying to come across as 'woke').

This is not a defence by the way - just hoping someone can job my memory, as I say I had the same initial reaction but can't actually remember why now.

Video Game Fan 2000

The airing of the popular false etymology of the word "faggot" in an early episode, with himself in full nodding and learning mode, was a tip off in hindsight. Especially considering one of his most famous routines before was about how that's "our word" and its OK to use because it means silly or ridiculous etc. 

Video Game Fan 2000

https://slate.com/culture/2013/04/louis-c-k-feminism-oh-my-god-on-hbo-proves-comic-a-feminist.html
https://slate.com/culture/2012/07/louie-review-daddys-girlfriend-part-2-with-parker-posey.html

Liberal sites fucking clapping like seals.

Even linking to the wikipedia article on "male gaze" - what enlightening rabbitholes will Louis' observations take us down next?

peanutbutter

Quote from: good times on December 19, 2021, 08:09:05 PMI remember a lot of the anger at the time of the wanking revelations was driven by this perception of hypocrisy (and I had much the same reaction myself) but in the last couple of years I've struggled to recall what he actually did to position himself in this manner, and thought maybe it was a weird collective perception thing based on the fact that he occasionally had good things to say about women and, more often, how men (usually him) are pieces of shit.
The sitcom is the core source for sure but I'd say his "I'm a man too, I'm a piece of shit" type schtick was never clear enough as to its specifications of how shit he was and his general presentation made him out to be someone who, if anything, was likely to be too hard on himself and ultimately a voice of reason. As far as I can see he was pretty okay with letting people make those kinds of assumptions and made little effort to correct it.

jobotic

The only stand up I remember was him saying that men can't think straight when they see a pair of tits.

Groundbreaking stuff.

Unless it was someone else in which case apologies Wankbeast

Ant Farm Keyboard

I would still vouch for the first two seasons of Louie. Outside of its comedic value, he paved the way for more experimentation with the form, which paved the way for stuff such as Better Things, Baskets, or Atlanta.

The worst thing about him is definitely how much in denial he is. The guy has a fetish, which could be tolerable among peers, for consenting adults. But when he started to become this huge TV and standup star, that should have been over with other female comedians. His "apology" letter is a masterclass in things that shouldn't be told. He states a couple of times that these women "admired" him, as if the worst thing was that he, as a role model, had disappointed people. He can't even think that they may have been terrified of being blacklisted in the comedy circuit because of the power he and his agent had over clubs and careers, not because of some fucking broken admiration. From the minute I read this letter, I've known that I'm no longer interested in anything he has to offer, even if it's for some harmless chuckles.

g0m

Quote from: MortSahlFan on December 19, 2021, 05:50:23 PMNo, you shouldn't watch it.. Go watch something trendy like "he/him"

What?

Video Game Fan 2000

Gotta say that Pamela Adlon was uniformly superb in Louie and she got laughs from me until the bitter end when I was only watching it to see how bad it was going to get.

Is she in his new special? No? then fuck it.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I mean, honestly, why can't we just talk about the latest special from a wankbeast without bringing his wankbeastery into everything? This is a comedy discussion forum! Who cares about analysis and context?!

whatabulb

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on December 20, 2021, 04:13:22 AMI mean, honestly, why can't we just talk about the latest special from a wankbeast without bringing his wankbeastery into everything? This is a comedy discussion forum! Who cares about analysis and context?!

that would actually be an interesting post if it did contain analysis and context.

eg how does his disgrace inform his material and delivery, to what extent did it work/fail etc.

no one on this thread is interested in talking about comedy though, admit it.

re the idea about him being a paragon of progressive thought pre his fall, i always found that a bit weird at the time bearing in mind his content.  i think to be honest it boils down to (and i say this as a fan of the Louie shows!) his portrayal of an affluent white heterosexual man, as a disgusting maggot lol

right on dude!  oh hang on you are actually a disgusting maggot what a plot twist

knock knock
well before we go any further, imma need to know who you voted for

weird behaviour from supposed comedy fans, it really is.  i'll be the first to say that i've got some great recommendations from this site that would otherwise have passed me by (jon glaser, joe pera) but perhaps the reluctance to discuss comedy is borne of you all posting about it for the last 20 years.

it's just that the social commentary stuff, it's like... yeah?  of course?  it's just such obvious opinions.  and now here i am talking about people not talking about comedy, seppuku.

it was a really good special though.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: whatabulb on December 20, 2021, 08:01:31 AMthat would actually be an interesting post if it did contain analysis and context.

eg how does his disgrace inform his material and delivery, to what extent did it work/fail etc.

re the idea about him being a paragon of progressive thought pre his fall, i always found that a bit weird at the time bearing in mind his content.  i think to be honest it boils down to (and i say this as a fan of the Louie shows!) his portrayal of an affluent white heterosexual man, as a disgusting maggot lol

right on dude!  oh hang on you are actually a disgusting maggot what a plot twist

knock knock

weird behaviour from supposed comedy fans, it really is.  i'll be the first to say that i've got some great recommendations from this site that would otherwise have passed me by (jon glaser, joe pera) but perhaps the reluctance to discuss comedy is borne of you all posting about it for the last 20 years.

it's just that the social commentary stuff, it's like... yeah?  of course?  it's just such obvious opinions.  and now here i am talking about people not talking about comedy, seppuku.

Or a shorter version would be "wah, some people are being mean (and honest) about a comedian I like, stop it and agree with me".

The Mollusk

There is a lot of good comedy which gets a very substantial degree of discussion on here every day that's not overshadowed by its creator being a vile sex offender. Some things rightly take precedent in a discussion. If you can't handle a forum of (mostly) right-on nerds talking at length not just about the art but also the inner machinations of it, and the events that lead up to or followed its creation, then you are - by your own admission - in the wrong place.

Dickie_Anders

I liked his TV show, but I remember I went off it a bit with the series where everything revolved around him and Pamela Adlon getting together. It just had this uncomfortable feeling about it. Like it was two mates feeling the need to simulate a romantic relationship on television for the world to see, for some reason. Or it really was them just enacting a real-life romantic relationship. Either way it felt self-indulgent and weird

I think self-indulgence was the main problem. There was a scene in a later series where he talks to Marc Maron about their past grievances. I was thinking: "a comedy nerd will know what this is all about, but will this really be of interest to the general public watching?"

I guess you could say it was all a bit
Spoiler alert
masturbatory
[close]

madhair60

Quote from: whatabulb on December 20, 2021, 08:01:31 AMthat would actually be an interesting post if it did contain analysis and context.

knock knock

Nobody besides worthless cunts would give him even a single penny of their money now that's he's a confessed serial sexual predator so unless you have a link to a torrent this shit ain't getting the time of day 

whatabulb

Quote from: Dickie_Anders on December 20, 2021, 08:37:33 AMI liked his TV show, but I remember I went off it a bit with the series where everything revolved around him and Pamela Adlon getting together. It just had this uncomfortable feeling about it.

kind of interesting in light of his material about matt damon's motivation for being a writer to be to create wish fulfilment scenarios for himself

QuoteI guess you could say it was all a bit
Spoiler alert
masturbatory
[close]

ha!

The Mollusk

The thing is, CK's defenders seem to treat his work as if it's the lifeblood of comedy and if you're a comedy fan you're mugging yourself off with your progressive values denying you the pleasure this unparalleled singular work of brilliance.

I won't deny that at his peak I found his standup to be ridiculously funny and I loved it, but I can live without it. I'm not losing out on the reinvention of comedy by not watching Louis CK any more. He's literally just some guy. I know heaps of other comedians (and musicians and filmmakers and whatever else) who entertain me and who aren't sexual abusers.

If you want to continue indulging the work of a man who literally traumatised women and halted/ruined their careers with his genitalia and based a great deal of his artistic material around that then go ahead, but if you want to criticise me for choosing to ignore it and turn my back on him then you're going to look a bit weird at the least or at best an apologist for sex offenders. I have every right to loathe this dude, I don't see why that sort of opinion has to be so vehemently contested.

Hat FM

has he been on Maron since all of this came out?

Replies From View

Quote from: peanutbutter on December 19, 2021, 08:41:30 PMThe sitcom is the core source for sure but I'd say his "I'm a man too, I'm a piece of shit" type schtick was never clear enough as to its specifications of how shit he was and his general presentation made him out to be someone who, if anything, was likely to be too hard on himself and ultimately a voice of reason. As far as I can see he was pretty okay with letting people make those kinds of assumptions and made little effort to correct it.

Well said.  His presentation spoke for men generally being shit, and his persona was one of rising above all that to be an apologist for all men.  Nowhere in his characterisation did he ever highlight his own sincere guilt about his personal behaviour, and it appears never to have sunk in that what he did wasn't just a man doing what all men can't help doing.

Replies From View

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on December 19, 2021, 09:37:19 PMI would still vouch for the first two seasons of Louie. Outside of its comedic value, he paved the way for more experimentation with the form, which paved the way for stuff such as Better Things, Baskets, or Atlanta.

The trend was already there, wasn't it?  I feel this is like giving Gervais credit for the mockumentary sitcom form.

Ornlu

Quote from: The Mollusk on December 20, 2021, 09:44:54 AMIf you want to continue indulging the work of a man who literally traumatised women and halted/ruined their careers with his genitalia and based a great deal of his artistic material around that then go ahead, but if you want to criticise me for choosing to ignore it and turn my back on him then you're going to look a bit weird at the least or at best an apologist for sex offenders.

He's not a 'sex offender'. Otherwise yes, you got me: while I did think less of him as the news came out, I personally still value his body of artistic material over the hypothetical careers of a couple of unknown comics, and don't think that is at all weird.

If only you did all just ignore him! I wouldn't criticise anyone for choosing to no longer follow CK's career, but probably would judge their motives for constantly signalling that decision to others who are just trying to earnestly discuss his work's undeniable comedic merit on a comedy forum.

madhair60

He's not a sex offender, no; just a confessed sexual predator.

Torrent's out.

Replies From View

Quote from: Ornlu on December 20, 2021, 11:18:38 AMIf only you did all just ignore him!

Or you could stop feeling the need to dictate what should and shouldn't fall under the remit of discussion here at CaB.

As already pointed out, more vapid content must surely still exist on reddit if that's what you're after.

Otherwise backseat moderation has never been viewed favourably here, so you may as well stop doing it.