Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:55:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Old Skool Rave Dumping Ground Pt. 2

Started by monkfromhavana, December 23, 2021, 09:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkfromhavana

After the wild success of the earlier thread started by Puffin Chunks, I thought a fresh one would be in order. Early to mid 90s hardcore/rave/jungle/gabba/happy hardcore/house/progressive house/Darkcore/artcore/jungle techno/ragga jungle/intelligent jungle/ambient jungle/ Drum 'n' Bass/hardstep/jazzstep/bouncy techno/hammer house/hubba house/tartan techno/techno/tekno/fungle/4-beat/trancecore/trancekor/freeform/high house/breakbeat house/piano house/happy jungle only please.

Where else would I be able to post this absolute banger from 1992 that is basically just a remix of 'Only The Lonely' by T'Pau?

Goldseal Tribe - Only The Lonely

monkfromhavana

One of those tracks that defined a new sound in D'n'B that I wasn't fond of, but you can't fault the actual track. A bit like 'Pulp Fiction' with it's 2-step beat that heralded a lot of rhythmically boring D'n'B. The way that synth just bores it's way into head for 5 minutes or so. Fantastic stuff.

DJ Trace - Mutant Revisted

Sonny_Jim

Doesn't get much better than those two tbh.

Basically anything by NRG but especially:

EDIT: Oh and Mickeybeams channel is fucking class

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJYI6gHkjLBYn8iBSVG91Mg

monkfromhavana

Mickeybeam's YT channel is indeed, class. Saves me a lot of time with the newer releases cos he always has them uploaded pretty much straight away so I can check them out.

Some great tunes there!

purlieu

monkfromhavana

Quote from: purlieu on December 29, 2021, 03:44:14 PM

That's an absolute piece of loveliness. Being trying to track down an FSOL track for years, pretty sure it was part of a John Peel session, and it was called "Spatial Freakout" but it seems no such track exists. It started with all bells and running waters noises, then into a trip-hop type beat, then into some mental d'n'B, then back through the trip hop and ambience. If anyone has any ideas, let me know cos I've been searching for it since about 1996.

Anyway, I've decided that this is my favourite track by The Prodigy from their rave period. Was only a few years ago that I found out that the main melody is nicked from Queen's soundtrack to 'Flash Gordon'. Liam had apparently toyed with the idea that their debut album would be more, IIRC, early Pink Floyd inspired and a lot more conceptual. He obviously went against the idea, but I'm guessing that this track is one of the remnants of it.

purlieu

Quote from: monkfromhavana on December 30, 2021, 11:25:13 PMThat's an absolute piece of loveliness. Being trying to track down an FSOL track for years, pretty sure it was part of a John Peel session, and it was called "Spatial Freakout" but it seems no such track exists. It started with all bells and running waters noises, then into a trip-hop type beat, then into some mental d'n'B, then back through the trip hop and ambience. If anyone has any ideas, let me know cos I've been searching for it since about 1996.
It ended up on Dead Cities as 'Quagmire', albeit in a slightly different mix (noticably without the extended jazzy outro section):

The 'Spatial Freakout' version is here:
That 1995 Peel Session was basically the very first set of Dead Cities demos, a really interesting period as they morphed away from the jazz and hip-hop influences of ISDN into more rigid electronic sounds. Lots of info on the show on this ridiculous FSOL blog I'm writing.

I think aside from PNG this is my favourite of theirs from that period (amazing vocal sample from Disney's Cinderella), although Q is fucking amazing too.

Prog house from 1993. Not particularly notable to my ears -- I'm only posting it cos I wanted to mention that (according to Discogs anyway) it was pressed up with CaB fave "Fucking Cunt/Awkward Bastard" on the b-side, for some reason.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: purlieu on December 31, 2021, 12:19:01 AMIt ended up on Dead Cities as 'Quagmire', albeit in a slightly different mix (noticably without the extended jazzy outro section):

The 'Spatial Freakout' version is here:
That 1995 Peel Session was basically the very first set of Dead Cities demos, a really interesting period as they morphed away from the jazz and hip-hop influences of ISDN into more rigid electronic sounds. Lots of info on the show on this ridiculous FSOL blog I'm writing.

Ah brilliant!! Been searching for that for ages. Weird how the memory plays tricks, I could have sworn there were water noises etc, but then again it was all based on one listen of the track live 26 years ago.

monkfromhavana

Great tune from about the time when hardcore and jungle split. Ragga samples and uplifting stings / pads and bells. I think this period was probably my favourite, just a bit of everything in every tunes as the scene tried to find it's new direction.

B.B. & Steam Fish - Browning

monkfromhavana

Tune that was on loads of compilations, but hard to find if you didn't live in London (probably) as it's on Greensleeves. I love the siren/horn sample and I think I'd put it on every track I made (if I made any).

Proper jungle, not drum 'n' bass with an amen on top of a 2-step beat and a one word ragga sample.

Dawn Penn & Bounty Killer - You Don't Love Me (Reel 2 Reel's Junglist Lick Remix)

monkfromhavana

Some smooth jungle from Mark Mac. Absolutely great tune, probably the way commercial DnB should have gone. For some reason with 4 Hero (as a pair, rather than the original 4), I have always vastly preferred Mark Mac's output to Dego's. Eevn on "Creating Patterns" where they appear to be credited as solo writers on each track, Mark's have that classic soulful quality whereas Dego's don't seem to cut it (for me IMHO etc etc.)

Maximum Style ft. JB Rose - Admit To Love

WhoMe

Quote from: Better Midlands on December 31, 2021, 01:12:40 AM

That's lovely. Big warm tune.

Another tune with a vocal sample that sends it to outer space:

This one is for if a DJ were to ever point me out in a crowd and say 'you, come up and drop ONE tune'.

This one took me ages to find after hearing it in an obscure 90s jungle mix online somewhere, the atmosphere and drum work are just lovely.

Sonny_Jim

monkfromhavana

Some lovely tunes there, "Silent Voices" is a bonafide classic, as is "Finest Illusion". Apparently Steve Gurley mixed the acappella in in real time over the track. I also love the fact that the tune had to come out on Section 5 so as not to get Moving Shadow in trouble if the shit hit the sampling fan. Rob Playford asked Foul Play to use a different name for the release as well, so as not to create a further link to MS. They chose the name "Foul Play Productions".

Since the Sleng Teng riddim is being posted about elsewhere:

monkfromhavana

Also used to great effect on this jungle monster

Shaka - Red Like Blood

DJ Ron has a video podcast on YouTube that's interesting if you like mid-50s geezers talking about their lives

https://youtube.com/c/LondonSomethingEst1994

I've watched the Mickey Finn and DJ Hype episodes so far, they're both good and I especially enjoyed the Hype episode - what a top bloke.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Better Midlands on February 10, 2022, 12:11:54 PMDJ Ron has a video podcast on YouTube that's interesting if you like mid-50s geezers talking about their lives

https://youtube.com/c/LondonSomethingEst1994

I've watched the Mickey Finn and DJ Hype episodes so far, they're both good and I especially enjoyed the Hype episode - what a top bloke.

Yeah I've watched most of these and they're all good. Surprisingly entertaining was the Voltage episode. I've never heard any of tunes (after 97 is a bit late for me), but his back story of growing up in a showman family was really interesting and insightful. As was the fact that the aforementioned Micky Finn also comes from a showman family.

monkfromhavana

Also good for a watch (as I'm doing now) is Alex from Hyper On Experience / E-Z Rollers on Twitch livestreaming making tunes. He's a sound bloke and always up for a chat (especially as so far I've never seen more than 5 people in chat).

Got to hear some unreleased Flytronix tracks from BITD as well when it was just me and him in there

https://www.twitch.tv/alexhyperezbanks

Quote from: monkfromhavana on February 10, 2022, 02:27:34 PMAlso good for a watch (as I'm doing now) is Alex from Hyper On Experience / E-Z Rollers on Twitch livestreaming making tunes.

I think I've seen some of these streams on Youtube a few years ago maybe, perhaps on Twitch.

I'm sure I've posted it here before but I found this interview with him about the Moving Shadow era very interesting

monkfromhavana

Yeah, he's done before, but this is a lot better as he's in the studio and you can see him rather than just the blocks. I find it quite relaxing seeing someone build a tune from scratch. The one today is lovely but he can't seem to get it together :D

Quote from: monkfromhavana on February 10, 2022, 02:37:17 PMYeah, he's done before, but this is a lot better as he's in the studio and you can see him rather than just the blocks.

That makes sense, I've only seen it with blocks before now you mention it.

Sonny_Jim

Haha that's mint.  Didn't realise that piano riff got used so many times:

monkfromhavana

Best used on the original version of You Got Me and this monster from Panacea (doesn't come in until the 4 minute mark)

Of course, all sampled from this:

JJ Tribute is great, I was blown away when years later I found out the vocal samples were Janis Joplin.

I used to play two copies at once, starting with the more synth led Space mix