Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:33:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Changes to restrictions in England imminent

Started by shoulders, January 19, 2022, 12:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Quote from: MojoJojo on January 20, 2022, 11:42:53 AM*sigh* still a big fucking silence on what should be done.

The super low impact stuff that has the largest marginal benefit over doing literally nothing ie keeping a mask mandate and encouraging social distancing where possible? That was my response to the question anyway.

You could even still go to Pret if you wanted so even the tories would be happy.

Kankurette

Screw Johnson, I'm keeping my mask. Anyone mocks me, I'll tell them I had face cancer and my nose hurts when exposed to the cold (which is true).

SpiderChrist

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Kankurette on January 20, 2022, 01:31:11 PMScrew Johnson, I'm keeping my mask. Anyone mocks me, I'll tell them I had face cancer and my nose hurts when exposed to the cold (which is true).

Just doing my Mileena from Mortal Kombat cosplay

Kankurette

Fambo Number Mive

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Kankurette on January 20, 2022, 03:40:31 PMMileena is boss. I should get a purple mask.

I've got a mask with a donkey kong print and it is one of my favourite things.

Ferris

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 20, 2022, 04:25:26 PM107,364 cases today.

Down from 200k a couple of weeks ago to be fair. Really hoping there's a nice steep drop off and the UK can be a bit more normal.

Quote from: bgmnts on January 20, 2022, 04:47:12 PMOpen the pubs.

This guy gets it. He might be an odious turd but he opened the pubs so Boris is alright by me.

Dr Rock

I might get a mask made with 'Boris doesn't care if we die' on it

shoulders

Quote from: Dr Rock on January 20, 2022, 07:42:08 PMI might get a mask made with 'Boris doesn't care if we die' on it

It's difficult and I occasionally forget due to the extent of propagandising but please use Johnson, don't use Boris.

Anything that reinforces the persona/the brand is to be avoided, even when used negatively. If you refer to someone as though they're a family member that is dangerous when it's a politician.

SpiderChrist

katzenjammer

On the other hand calling him Johnson seems to lend him integrity, but I know what you mean. It's a conundrum

Endicott

Using 'That cunt Johnson' ought to sort that problem out.(1)

(1) I'm not actually suggesting you put this on a mask. It's one of those jokes I've heard so much about.

Fambo Number Mive

According to the Welsh secretary, criticism of the govermnent's decision is an insult to medical advisors and the public.

Quote...Welsh Secretary Simon Hart has labelled attacks on the UK government and PM Boris Johnson by the first minister of Wales, Mark Drakeford, "an uncalled for and opportunistic insult towards medical advisers and the public".

"It's thanks to the decisions of UK (& Welsh) Gov, scientists, families & businesses that the UK is ahead of the world in its response to Covid," Mr Hart wrote in a tweet.

Speaking earlier at a press briefing, Mr Drakeford said the UK government was "simply not functioning" because it was occupied by the need to deflect attention from press stories about parties held at Downing Street during lockdown...

The Welsh Conservatives also want a Wales-specific Covid enquiry, claiming Wales have the worst covid mortality rate in the UK. Just a diversion from the failures of their colleagues in Westminster.

bgmnts

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 21, 2022, 02:13:58 PMAccording to the Welsh secretary, criticism of the govermnent's decision is an insult to medical advisors and the public.

The Welsh Conservatives also want a Wales-specific Covid enquiry, claiming Wales have the worst covid mortality rate in the UK. Just a diversion from the failures of their colleagues in Westminster.

According to me, they can fuck off and get fucked.

Wonderful Butternut

Well if misery loves company, you'll be happy to know Ireland's done the same.

Nearly all COVID restrictions gone from tomorrow morning. Recommendation from NPHET just came out of nowhere yesterday. Mask wearing and certs for travel are staying for a while, and return to work will be phased, but everything else meaningful is gone. Just like that.

I have no love for COVID restrictions, but I don't understand how that works. Going from a relatively high level of restrictions with max of three households in one place, pubs only doing table service and closing at 8pm, as much work from home as possible, limits on numbers at indoor and outdoor events etc. to basically nothing apart from masks. Not even mandatory social distancing.

Kankurette

I find it weird as well. And I don't want full lockdown, it isn't feasible but the exact same thing happened with lifting restrictions last year, and we all know how that ended.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on January 21, 2022, 07:43:32 PMWell if misery loves company, you'll be happy to know Ireland's done the same.

Nearly all COVID restrictions gone from tomorrow morning. Recommendation from NPHET just came out of nowhere yesterday. Mask wearing and certs for travel are staying for a while, and return to work will be phased, but everything else meaningful is gone. Just like that.

I have no love for COVID restrictions, but I don't understand how that works. Going from a relatively high level of restrictions with max of three households in one place, pubs only doing table service and closing at 8pm, as much work from home as possible, limits on numbers at indoor and outdoor events etc. to basically nothing apart from masks. Not even mandatory social distancing.
Because Micheál Martin said so! Pandemic's over, get back into that office and out spending money again.

olliebean

Frankly the fact that masks mandates are lifted next Thursday everywhere but schools, where for some reason the masks had to come off immediately, betrays that there's very likely still a herd immunity agenda behind this (although science now reckons herd immunity is impossible with Omicron's increased transmissibility). Schools, being hubs of transmission, will by going maskless ensure the maximum possible spread of the virus over the coming weeks.

Pinball

When today there were 95,787 cases and 288 deaths reported, the data would suggest maintaining restrictions. Obviously. But the more important question for Boris is- has the premature unwarranted lifting of restrictions got Boris off the hook. Because for Boris the only issue that matters is Boris. For all the good UK democracy is right now, he might as well be Putin.

flotemysost

This is a really trifling piffling little thing compared to what some people are potentially facing obviously, but I know my mum and dad were looking forward to finally feeling OK about getting a bus into town at some point, to go to the cinema or a museum or something for the first time since 2020, but now that no cunt's gonna be wearing a mask I don't suppose they will. Obviously not a life or death thing but they haven't exactly got ages left to enjoy that stuff, it just makes me sad thinking about it.

Either way, they've also got regular hospital appointments they need to get to, and as they don't have a car they (and many, many other vulnerable/elderly people) will need to get public transport for that. But it's all good because we can trust the Great British Public to do the right thing, I mean it's not like Parliament erupted into brays of delight when the removal of mask mandate was mentioned, like they were at a fucking football match or something. I HATE THEM SO MUCH.

A few days late but thinking of anyone who's struggling with this news, anyway.

Quote from: bgmnts on January 21, 2022, 11:46:14 PMBoris.

Every time I look at this post it makes me laugh more.

Pinball

Back in the day when rag mags were a thing, Boris would be a great name for one.

'Oh Christ, have you seen this year's Boris? Fuck's sake.'

Glebe

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on January 21, 2022, 07:43:32 PMWell if misery loves company, you'll be happy to know Ireland's done the same.

It's just baffling that NPHET have given the go ahead so soon. Couldn't we at least have waited a few weeks until the numbers had dropped more significantly? We came out of a previous wave too soon and things got bad again. We'll see...

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Kankurette on January 20, 2022, 03:40:31 PMMileena is boss. I should get a purple mask.

Quote from: Pink Gregory on January 20, 2022, 04:45:28 PMI've got a mask with a donkey kong print and it is one of my favourite things.

I've got a welding-grade respirator (I use it for spraypainting too) I wear that I painted a shark mouth on like a WW2 jet. I'm a riiight cunt.

Attila

Quote from: Kankurette on January 20, 2022, 01:31:11 PMScrew Johnson, I'm keeping my mask. Anyone mocks me, I'll tell them I had face cancer and my nose hurts when exposed to the cold (which is true).

Ditto. Our semester starts today, and my university is right up this government's backside -- we've been told that we're not doing any more covid measures, and we don't have to wear masks in the classroom (and that we're not to pressure the students into doing so). I've got three 1-hour classes today in small classrooms, and I know I'll get complaints if I open any of the windows (it's wet and chilly here today).

I also take SWR to campus, and 1/2 the train services from my area have been cut due to the new 'covid timetable' (well, the old one from lockdown), which means trains are starting to get really crowded again at peak times. Yay.

Attila

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Attila on January 24, 2022, 08:00:17 AMDitto. Our semester starts today, and my university is right up this government's backside -- we've been told that we're not doing any more covid measures, and we don't have to wear masks in the classroom (and that we're not to pressure the students into doing so). I've got three 1-hour classes today in small classrooms, and I know I'll get complaints if I open any of the windows (it's wet and chilly here today).

I also take SWR to campus, and 1/2 the train services from my area have been cut due to the new 'covid timetable' (well, the old one from lockdown), which means trains are starting to get really crowded again at peak times. Yay.

Absolute madness.

Found out yesterday my mate is flying to Qatar for work later this week. I just don't understand why people are being so cavalier about this. Well, I do, but I expected better. That'll teach me.