Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,574,324
  • Total Topics: 106,599
  • Online Today: 546
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:34:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"This government got the big things right"

Started by Fambo Number Mive, January 20, 2022, 11:42:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Quote@BorisJohnson

United Kingdom government official
 · 16h
Confronted by the nation's biggest challenge since the Second World War and the worst pandemic since 1918, any government would get some things wrong.

But this government got the big things right.

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1483873206066896896

You can see Johnson's boasting above, but the UK government did not get "the big things right".

It locked down too late three times. It failed to enforce mask wearing properly. It did not ensure that people with limited incomes received masks. It did nothing to protect the most vulnerable. It continued to fail to protect the NHS or its staff despite

The seventh highest number of deaths in the world, beaten mainly by countries with much higher populations. The fourth highest number of cases in the world.

evilcommiedictator

Well, it killed off a bunch of it's own elderly voting base, I imagine most people don't mind not having those tiresome "I was -3 during the blitz" idiots out of the way

shoulders

Some extremely big things:

- PPE contracts scandal
- An eye watering outlay on a dysfunctional test and trace system which appears to be a total abuse of public funds.
- Letting discharged hospital patients with covid return to care homes alone an act of gross negligence leading to tens of thousands of avoidable deaths
- The slow starvation and crippling  of the NHS

Some simply big things:

- Scotch egg/Tier fiasco
- Allowing mass spread of Delta in futile effort to save face at Christmas leading to a 5 month lockdown
- Reopening schools for a day
- Mass disobedience of the rules by elites resulting in no punishments whatsoever while ordinary people stopped by police for going about their business
- Failure to support businesses or even understand what makes certain businesses different from another on an even basic level (eg. VAT cuts)

I'm sure I missed a fair few there.

chveik