Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,481
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:04:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Jackass Forever

Started by madhair60, February 05, 2022, 04:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: madhair60 on February 14, 2022, 10:58:47 PMWhere did you hear this? The original scene was shot for Jackass Number Two, some four years earlier, with Don Vito. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I've never heard this story before.

Yeah, that's what I remember (although they couldn't mention Don Vito by name, so I can see the misunderstanding).

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see RfV's reply

madhair60

Quote from: Replies From View on February 14, 2022, 11:14:12 PMHere Steve-O talks about it, in the unlikely event that people are unaware of this:

"Danger Ehren is the permanent holder of the short straw."

Thanks, sorry, that really wasn't meant to be me saying "this didn't happen", I was just hoping for a source because I'm obsessed with these cunts and I'd never heard about Tremaine or whoever being pissy about the Vito thing. And now I've got one!

Replies From View

Mobius

I sort of got the impression from the movie that Jeff Tremaine is pretty forceful in making them do this stuff? Although they're all grown men and have been doing it for ages, so perhaps I'm just a softie. But I just thought he came across as a bit of a dick?

I don't know much background of the guys though. Like my partner was going off and getting angry about Bam not being in it, but I don't know any circumstances so dunno if she has a point.

That english guy, Eric Manaka didn't do much.

Preston shitting his pants was just bleak.

Sonny_Jim

That Danger Ehren video is good stuff, highlights for me:

Steve-O saying how they 'bonded' on a 17hr flight to Japan which Ehren remembers differently.  Steve-O thinking it was a nice long chat about each other, whereas Ehren was worried about his drug intake at the time and was trying to convince him to get sober.

Steve-O kinda-sorta apologising for the bullying, Ehren essentially replying 'No one forced me to do it and I've now got 6 houses'.  He does have a good point about how he could take it if the cameras were rolling, but if there was no cameras and they started picking on him it really upset him.  What is the point of making him feel shit if it wasn't going to end up in the film?

EDIT:  Bam feels that he should get more credit for the prank video phenomenon that was launched by Jackass, so I can see why people would take his absence to mean the Jackass boys screwing him over and denying him his due.  My feeling on it is that Bam loved dishing it out and could never take it, which is why I'll always enjoy the sight of him breaking down in tears when locked into a van with a snake.

Replies From View

I just can't handle the fact that these guys are about 90 years old already, yet are no more than ten years older than me.  One of those "bolt my cat's arse" moments.

boinks

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on February 15, 2022, 06:43:36 AMMy feeling on it is that Bam loved dishing it out and could never take it, which is why I'll always enjoy the sight of him breaking down in tears when locked into a van with a snake.

I so agree with that. Bully boy.

There's a vid on youtube of Dave England double drop-kicking Bam in the head after Bam gloats that no one can do it, and it's truly glorious.

Replies From View

Only 4 days old, this one:

QDRPHNC

Bam definitely had the biggest ego on him, seemed in love with himself. Was it Jackass 1 where someone mentioned how protective he was of his hair when they were going around shaving chunks off people?

I liked Bam a lot as a youngster, because he and Knoxville seemed to be the coolest. As much of an arsehole as he (Bam) has ended up being, I feel bad for him. He's one of those people who fame and money just didn't agree with, and I'm sure the death of Ryan Dunn didn't help. I always loved how sweet and supportive April and Phil were too, even when he was tearing up their house - and the fireworks reprise (when Phil gets into his car at 5am), is one of the best bits of Jackass ever.

I really get the impression Pontius didn't like him, even at the end of the Drywall Drop-in video, you can see him giving a look to camera.

Replies From View

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on February 15, 2022, 06:43:36 AMMy feeling on it is that Bam loved dishing it out and could never take it, which is why I'll always enjoy the sight of him breaking down in tears when locked into a van with a snake.

This is the same for me, as well; I've probably mentioned it in a similar thread in the past.  He's the hardest of the gang to like, routinely punching/kicking people for his own amusement but immediately falls into a tantrum whenever anyone does it back.

His shittiest day ever seemed to involve having a lot of snakes around him and then when he tried to get into his car he stood in a little trap that had been dug by the driver's door.  And it was only a watchable sequence because he made such a big deal of these small things - he whined and whined about them as if he was being bullied at school rather than paid an absolute fortune to suffer nothing like having a healthy tooth pulled out by a Lamborghini.

peanutbutter

I think Bam's role was to inject excitable energy into things and tbf he was generally pretty good at that. It just doesn't work very well long term when he doesn't seem to get anywhere near enough comeuppance to balance it out (presumably because he was absolutely shite at revelling in pranks pulled on him so it just wasn't good tv).

Replies From View

It's weird as well that he was picking on his family members during his bits - older people, presumably not stunt trained, shrieking and running out of the bedroom or toilet, feebly responding that he's losing his marbles after he's ruined yet another night's sleep for them.  Definite punching down going on there, and I always felt bad after watching them, like those bits in Adam and Joe where they went around upsetting shop owners by drinking "only the 10% free bit" of the Ribena.  Just horribleness- never understood it.

QDRPHNC

Oh I don't know, I think Phil and April were sometimes pissed off the moment, but saw the funny side pretty quick.

madhair60

Bam is great in Jackass, brings a lot of creativity, has a lot of the best ideas and strong energy, but I agree with all of the criticisms here.

I would like to see him get better, of course.

Quote from: QDRPHNC on February 15, 2022, 02:01:14 PMOh I don't know, I think Phil and April were sometimes pissed off the moment, but saw the funny side pretty quick.

Phil and Ape are enormous fun. I love them.

Greg Torso

Quote from: QDRPHNC on February 15, 2022, 02:01:14 PMOh I don't know, I think Phil and April were sometimes pissed off the moment, but saw the funny side pretty quick.

Also, I'd guess by Jackass they were probably pretty used to Bam wrecking their house and pranking them, seeing as he'd been doing CKY before that (and probably since he was a kid). I actually think a lot of Bam's mum's outrage is 'for the camera' in the Jackass films.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: madhair60 on February 15, 2022, 02:09:15 PMPhil and Ape are enormous fun. I love them.

In fact, just thinking of that bit where Phil is on the toilet and Bam slaps him until he's naked - I can see where @Replies From View is coming from, but the punchline really is Phil yelling "Hey! He's starting to lose it!" then calmly going back to reading his newspaper in the nude.

Also, here's that dropkick video. Yes, satisfying, but to be fair to Bam, he takes it and shakes Dave's hand after.

Quote from: Greg Torso on February 15, 2022, 02:15:57 PMAlso, I'd guess by Jackass they were probably pretty used to Bam wrecking their house and pranking them, seeing as he'd been doing CKY before that (and probably since he was a kid). I actually think a lot of Bam's mum's outrage is 'for the camera' in the Jackass films.

That's true. Was in CKY or the Jackass TV show where Bam basically hollowed out their house while they were at work and installed a skate park? What I loved about it was Phil being both shocked and also delighted watching Bam tear through the place. They're model parents, in a way.

The Mollusk

Wow that dropkick video is so good. England grinning all the way through the action in the slow motion replay as Knoxville's mouth slowly opens wide. Amazing.

Replies From View

I always found Dave England and Danger Ehren disconcertingly alike in physical appearance, and routinely mixed them up for years.

JamesTC

Quote from: QDRPHNC on February 15, 2022, 02:20:34 PMThat's true. Was in CKY or the Jackass TV show where Bam basically hollowed out their house while they were at work and installed a skate park? What I loved about it was Phil being both shocked and also delighted watching Bam tear through the place. They're model parents, in a way.

That is the first episode of Viva La Bam IIRC.

I also seem to remember him turning the house into a skate rink to play Ice Hockey but getting really annoyed when April loved it.

I went to this the other day after a pretty grim 12 hour shift and it definitely cheered me up. Snuck a 4 pack of beers into an almost empty cinema and just allowed myself to be 14 again.

Whilst it's obviously a bit silly to analyse Jackass in any serious thematic way, it is fair to say that throughout their 20+ year run there was never really a sniff of sexism, homophobia or anything else unpleasant. Which is actually quite remarkable considering the general media output in the early 2000s. They just did stupid shit to each other. I really enjoyed it.

Magnum Valentino

The yelp Steve-O lets out when that skateboard hits his legs is one of the funniest things I've seen in years.

Really enjoyed this. Cineworld popcorn isn't worth a shite but.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: SereneMackeral on February 18, 2022, 09:08:25 PMWhilst it's obviously a bit silly to analyse Jackass in any serious thematic way, it is fair to say that throughout their 20+ year run there was never really a sniff of sexism, homophobia or anything else unpleasant. Which is actually quite remarkable considering the general media output in the early 2000s. They just did stupid shit to each other. I really enjoyed it.

They said some cool stuff about this in their Vanity Fair interview from 2010:

QuoteSo listen, I'm not sure how to broach this subject. There's a lot of half-naked men in Jackass, and a lot of anal play and nipple torture and testicle touching. Is it possible that Jackass is at least a smidge gay?

Knoxville: I'm offended you just said a smidge!

It's more than a smidge?

Knoxville: We're over here sitting on rainbows and you say a smidge.

You're a gay pride parade waiting to happen?

Knoxville: We're a gay pride parade that's happening! And in 3-D!

It's not just homoerotic tension?

Knoxville: No, man, it's all about release with us.

Steve-O: We always thought it was funny to force a heterosexual MTV generation to deal with all of our thongs and homoerotic humor. In many ways, all our gay humor has been a humanitarian attack against homophobia. We've been trying to rid the world of homophobia for years, and I think gay people really dig it too.

This was way too easy. I had all of these questions designed to lure you into admitting your subconscious desire to fuck each other. But apparently you're not suppressing anything.

Knoxville: Suppressing?! Wait till I tell the guys you said suppressing! We're not suppressing anything! We're over here sitting on dicks!

Replies From View

Were they actually sitting on rainbow-coloured dicks?

beanheadmcginty

All dicks are rainbow coloured when you think about it.

Replies From View

And when you stop thinking about it do they turn back?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on February 18, 2022, 11:50:17 PMAll dicks are rainbow coloured when you think about it.

Kermit the Frog demands rewrite.

The obligatory Rick Kosick vomiting shot, this time in a mask, made me laugh too much.

Noodle Lizard

I'm looking forward to 4.5. The film itself felt like it had been a bit overthought, which makes sense given how many times it was pushed back, and I think editing around Bam might have created some awkwardness. That also accounts for the British guy (Eric Manaka) barely being in it, as I think he was only able to shoot with them pre-lockdown back when Bam was still involved. Hopefully all that drama is settled somewhat by the time they get 4.5 out and we can see some of the other stuff they shot with them.

Did anyone watch Steve-O's latest stand-up(?) special, Gnarly? It's really weird, but I won't go on about it if I'm the only one who's seen it.

I also thought it was interesting during Steve-O's podcast with Johnny Knoxville that he describes Bam using the exact same words he uses to describe Machine Gun Kelly during his appearance in the film ("younger than me, richer than me etc.") - makes me wonder if Bam was originally supposed to be in that skit.

up_the_hampipe

I heard they only shot one scene with Bam and it's in the film - the marching band treadmill stunt.

Tempted to check out the Steve-O special, but is it streaming anywhere (officially) or just for purchase?

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on February 19, 2022, 09:39:34 PMI heard they only shot one scene with Bam and it's in the film - the marching band treadmill stunt.

Tempted to check out the Steve-O special, but is it streaming anywhere (officially) or just for purchase?

I've seen some reporting that suggests similar, but I think they're getting confused with "Bam only appears in one scene" (which is true). We know, for instance, that he was involved in one stunt involving a bucket of snakes being poured on him in the dark, which suggests he might have been in the Silence of the Lambs bit (with Steve-O, presumably, since the rest are in pairs).

He's also among the main cast in the prologue video of Steve-O's Gnarly special. As far as I know, you can only buy it from Steve-O directly, since none of the streaming platforms wanted it (a point he makes very, very clear). I'd say they were more or less correct not to. Imagine interrupting your own stand-up special to advertise merch.