Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:24:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Queen has a dose [split topic]

Started by Blue Jam, February 20, 2022, 11:54:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Quote from: Dr Rock on February 20, 2022, 01:30:38 PMMostly the over 60/70s

Yougov as of 2018:

QuoteWhile the majority of people in all age groups support Britain having a monarchy, the older Britons are the higher this level of support gets: 57% of 18-24 year olds are monarchists, a figure which rises to 77% among those aged 55 or older.

Dex Sawash

43 countries have monarchy, quin is quim of 15 of them

Old Nehamkin

At this point I'm just impatient to experience (what I'm guessing will be) the profoundly weird and ambivalent cultural moment of Charles actually being crowned king and all the money/stamps/post boxes/national anthem recitals being updated accordingly. The queen is the queen - she's been a solid, immovable fact of life for as long as nearly anyone is able to remember and it's probably fair to say that more British people feel at least a passive sentimentality for her than otherwise. I'd imagine the strength of this feeling starts to decline pretty sharply for people under the age of 40-odd, but still, her sheer longevity makes her legitimacy feel like a neutral non-issue for most people.

But I just wonder how far that consensus will hold in the face of the first succession of the information era, with the UK grinding to a halt to watch a man who even royalists aren't particularly enthused about getting a crown stuck on his head. And I wonder if the monarchy will be able to synthesise a brand for Charles that comes anywhere close to gaining the same widespread public acceptance and passive goodwill as Elizabeth's image as a serene maternal totem of the British state.

Dr Rock

Quote from: bgmnts on February 20, 2022, 01:33:33 PMYougov as of 2018:

Fair enough, thought it was lower than that amongst young people. ffs.

It will all change a year into King Charles reign anyway.

edit - see above.

There's probably a few people of one hundred and over who can remember her father on the throne.

dissolute ocelot

Things like the Coronation are quite mad, does God still anoint the monarch? And Liz has a lot of affection from people who think Charles is tiresomely woke, as well as people who are otherwise monarchy-skeptics or hate Charles for other reasons. She's done a good job of not making enemies. One thing's for sure: when she dies it will be a glorious spectacle of pompousness and hypocrisy, as they rush to pour oil and crowns on Charles before the public mood changes. Leave it too long and there will be republican stirrings.

(Sad face: when I came to CaB a few minutes ago I got a 502 Gateway Error, I thought she'd carked it and site was either overloaded with comments or taken down by the government.)

TrenterPercenter

I reckon she is going to go after the Jubilee.  Charles will be a much bigger problem once the Queen actually dies before that we will be told she will still be pulling the strings in the background like Alex Ferguson.

mothman

Quote from: Chairman Yang on February 20, 2022, 01:05:07 PMBBC News have gone with the 'ballsack stretched over a Gromit' variety of The Queen for this story
Quote from: bgmnts on February 20, 2022, 01:06:35 PMHow do we know she hasn't been dead for ages and has just been weekend at bernies'd so the govt can push all the weird uber patriotic nationalist shit it wants in the next few months.
There's a limit to how closely CGI and deepfaking can mimic the Queen.

It's called the Onecanny Valley.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 20, 2022, 01:21:40 PMKiss of death

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1495371842294538243

Brilliant how the highest-ranking replies seem to be
QuoteShame you didn't care about us regular people catching Covid. Your absymal lack of opposition and support of the government contributed to the high level of cases and deaths we had in the UK afaic

Quotenot to tell you how to do your job but this would be a very good opportunity to point out how irresponsible and dangerous it is for the Prime Minister to be scrapping all Covid health protection measures. in your own time.

wrec

He will definitely publicly cut a finger off when she kicks the royal bouquet

Blue Jam

Quote from: Dr Rock on February 20, 2022, 01:12:26 PMHope she dies before she has transferred any money to Andrew. Any news about whether he's paid yet or not?

What if it happened just as she was signing the cheque?

idunnosomename

Install her bodily husk on the golden throne already and start sacrificing those thousands of psykers daily already

Dr Rock

Paying off her nonce son's accuser with tax payers money whichever way you add it up will probably be the last thing of note she does. She should whip her tits out on instagram or something.

Jittlebags

Yes. She could do that on her Only Subjects site.

Blumf

Quote from: superthunderstingcar on February 20, 2022, 01:13:06 PMThe Queen'll be fine, and then they can push the line 'If a 190-year-old* woman can shrug it off, we obviously need no restrictions whatsoever, treating it as a serious threat is akin to wanting Her Majesty dead, you traitors!'

https://twitter.com/cjsnowdon/status/1495395734744670216
QuoteChristopher Snowdon @cjsnowdon

Mild cold-like symptoms and is carrying on working. She's 95. If this doesn't scream 'Covid is over', nothing does.

Butchers Blind

'Working' used in the loosest sense of the word.

Blue Jam

Yeah, it's not like she's a call centre working coming in with flu because she can't afford to lose 8 hours' wages.

Dr Rock

I bet she hasn't had the strength to shoot anything for ages, the poor love.

Fambo Number Mive

Surely the Queen gets access to the best medical care in the UK and will be in much better health than most people?

Also, we've known since the start of the pandemic that some people get more ill with covid than others. The idea that the experience of one elderly person shows covid is over is laughable.

Chairman Yang

Quote from: mothman on February 20, 2022, 01:45:48 PMThere's a limit to how closely CGI and deepfaking can mimic the Queen.

It's called the Onecanny Valley.

You've reminded me exactly what it is! She looks like a The Queen texture preview.

Famous Mortimer

The Philip running "gag" might be the least funny thing in CaB's history. Even including me, and I'm a laugh vacuum.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 20, 2022, 05:55:31 PMThe Philip running "gag" might be the least funny thing in CaB's history. Even including me, and I'm a laugh vacuum.

Oh please FM, I really don't feel comfortable disagreeing with a Mr. Show fan.

poo

imitationleather

This time next week she'll be tugging off Captain Tom in Posh Heaven.

surreal

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on February 20, 2022, 01:37:38 PMAt this point I'm just impatient to experience (what I'm guessing will be) the profoundly weird and ambivalent cultural moment of Charles actually being crowned king and all the money/stamps/post boxes/national anthem recitals being updated accordingly. The queen is the queen - she's been a solid, immovable fact of life for as long as nearly anyone is able to remember and it's probably fair to say that more British people feel at least a passive sentimentality for her than otherwise. I'd imagine the strength of this feeling starts to decline pretty sharply for people under the age of 40-odd, but still, her sheer longevity makes her legitimacy feel like a neutral non-issue for most people.

I think/hope it will be the start of some change in this country, like the last thing tying us back to the "good old days" and actually let us move forward - I think this will depend on which bunch of cunts are in government of course but it will be like a monument being demolished.  I think Charles (won't he change his name as king anyway?) will change a lot in the monarchy but I also think it will do him in, I'd give him maybe 5 years?

Will be funny that there is absolutely no way that any England fans will remember to change the national anthem from queen to king - will they interrupt them and make them start again?

Butchers Blind

Who's going to play the piano at her funeral and what song will they bastardise the lyrics for?

Blue Jam

Goodbye **** of Death
You've just given us your final breath

jobotic

My grandad was a big royalist and he died aged 95.

So go on Queenie - he'd be made up if you carked it before your 96th

Kankurette

Charles must be licking a lot of toilet seats.