Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:16:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Retiring the covid sub-board - thoughts?

Started by Ferris, February 27, 2022, 04:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

I think Barry was absolutely right to silo this stuff away when covid was new because for the anxious among us (raises hand) it was all a bit overwhelming, especially back when we didn't really know anything about covid. Remember sterilizing your shopping? Fucking hell.

We're sort of past that initial discovery phase now, and traffic seems to have dropped - the last post on one of the pinned threads was almost a year ago and it seems like we only get a couple of posts a week across the entire board. In true form, captain Tom seems to be keeping the whole operation on the rails.

We discussed retiring the board a month or two ago, and with the 2 year anniversary coming up (congratulations!) it might be time to call it day. Wondering what everyone else reckons.

Weirdly, seeing the board separated away makes me more anxious about covid because I remember it's still out there so as a focal point for covid anxiety I'd like it to go, though maybe removing the board is a Johnsonian trick of just pretending a virus has gone away because it's inconvenient, plus it's Barry's so he can do what he likes with the place.

In short: I don't know.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I need this board to calm my nerves after glancing at General Bullshit.

Lordofthefiles

Leave it be.

Some of us who are stupid enough to be clinically vulnerable are still hiding in the house watching the madness outside.

Personally I'd rather the board stayed around for news of new mutations, etc, or incase sanity is restored and society starts giving a fuck about us.

TL;DR:
I sterilise my shopping.

Ferris

Dex Sawash

I almost did an end of covid in sight thread but I looked at cdc website first.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Lordofthefiles on February 27, 2022, 04:34:31 PMLeave it be.

Some of us who are stupid enough to be clinically vulnerable are still hiding in the house watching the madness outside.

Personally I'd rather the board stayed around for news of new mutations, etc, or incase sanity is restored and society starts giving a fuck about us.

TL;DR:
I sterilise my shopping.

Agreed.

Cuellar

It's too soon, I'm not ready to say goodbye

olliebean

Apart from anything else (and I agree with the other reasons already posted), retiring it at this particular moment in time would feel a bit too much like saying "Boris is right, it's all over, we've beaten it!" So I vote no.

BlodwynPig

flotemysost

Quote from: Lordofthefiles on February 27, 2022, 04:34:31 PMPersonally I'd rather the board stayed around for news of new mutations, etc, or incase sanity is restored and society starts giving a fuck about us.

Agree. Not clinically vulnerable here, but the recent scrapping of pretty much all safeguards has hit my mental health pretty hard - not worried for myself, it's more that I feel incredibly angry and upset and just helpless about the whole thing, sure I'm far from alone.

Also on a simply practical note, I do find it useful having a dedicated space to talk about stuff like (for example) symptoms, testing, vaccines, working from home/other covid-related work issues - stuff that might clog up the GB board, but which I do genuinely find helpful having an arena for. It's still out there and still affecting people's lives in lots of ways, and it's just a handy space to share experiences and advice - but can completely see why not everyone might want constant reminders of it, too (though I also see your point Ferris about a separate board actually adding to anxiety).

Quote from: Ferris on February 27, 2022, 04:07:35 PMRemember sterilizing your shopping? Fucking hell.

I find it a bit nuts/disgusting now when I think I never used to clean my phone before covid. Wiping down groceries went out the window a while back for me, though.

Ferris

It's worse that I spent 6 months wiping my phone down like a mad thing but stopped September 2020. Entirely indefensible.

gib

must look like a plasterer's radio by now, you dirty boy

shoulders

Things will still happen from here across the globe.

US fuckdown is still raging, for example.

Dr Rock

Covid is currently preparing for the biggest comeback since Elvis in 68. So I vote no.

pigamus

I did go in a shop without a mask the other day for the first time. It wasn't worth the guilt so I don't know why I did it.

Pranet

Bravely, for me it depends on how many people are wearing a mask. Yes I know this is idiotic but  I don't want to be the only person wearing one.

The superstitious part of me feels like removing this board would be tempting fate.

Got an email at work to take down all the track and trace stuff last week. No one had even glanced at it for god knows how long but still felt weird.

But on the other hand I'm still supposed to test each day before going int.

Dex Sawash

Duke University here in town tests all faculty/staff/students weekly. 6 weeks ago they had ~20% positive of all those tests which is fucking incredible when you consider that is everyone, not just thise with symptoms.

This week it is 0.63% positive.

I'm trying to remain pessimistic.

flotemysost

My flatmate has just tested positive for the first time (like me, had seemingly evaded the whole whirligig until this year).

She's feeling awful (as in, morally) because she went into work (in a hospital) today, having tested negative last night, even though it's absolutely not her fault and she wears a mask all day. Of course by now it'd be entirely legal for her to pop in a chekky visit to the old folk's home tomorrow, ffs.

Cloud

It's me and the parents' first go on this merry go round, so selfishly I say no, the anecdote sharing feels kind of useful. 

I might feel ready to stop looking at covid news if we pull through okay.  But that seems achievable by just not looking

SpiderChrist

I'm supposed to be playing at Strawberry Fair in Cambridge on 11th June, but still twitchy about it. Maybe Her Maj will cark it and it'll be cancelled*

*tbh I hop this doesn't happen, cos (from what I hear) if SF gets cancelled for a third year running it seems likely that it won't be back in 2023