Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:33:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sad Ernie Wise

Started by Menu, March 04, 2022, 11:05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Menu

This is a sad little interview. Only three hours after Eric's death, Ernie(true pro that he is) puts on a suit and tie and talks to TVAM. John Stapleton(already looking about 55) makes a little faux pas at the end that Ernie bats away with dignity but I just find it all a little depressing.

My question is: does anyone remember Eric doing any of these panel show appearances that Ernie refers to? I checked YouTube but no joy. I do like seeing the lads outside of the same old clips the BBC wheel out on a weekly basis so would love to see some of these. Anyone?

gilbertharding

Menu

Menu

Ooooh also wanted to add I saw an appearance they made on the Ed Sullivan show. A really funny sketch centred around Eric trying to be a ventriloquist. It doesn't get a great reaction despite being perfectly done. They noticeably react when they get a big laugh at one point. And Ernie starts creasing up at the end which is really sweet.

Apparently Ed Sullivan was a big fan and got them on the show quite a few times. Would have been weird if they'd made it over there wouldn't it?

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Menu on March 04, 2022, 11:05:02 AMMy question is: does anyone remember Eric doing any of these panel show appearances that Ernie refers to? I checked YouTube but no joy. I do like seeing them outside of the same old clips the BBC wheel out on a weekly basis so would love to see some of these. Anyone?

There's a clip of Eric and Ernie (and Betty Turpin) on Denis Norden's delightful nostalgia series Looks Familiar on YouTube. I wish there were more, I love/d listening to old people in the 1970s and 80s talk about how much fun they had in the 1930s and 40s, decades we tend to think were unimaginably impoverished and terrifying. I think Eric had only just done some What's My Lines before he died, no sign of them though.

Menu

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on March 04, 2022, 11:46:36 AMThere's a clip of Eric and Ernie (and Betty Turpin) on Denis Norden's delightful nostalgia series Looks Familiar on YouTube. I wish there were more, I love/d listening to old people in the 1970s and 80s talk about how much fun they had in the 1930s and 40s, decades we tend to think were unimaginably impoverished and terrifying. I think Eric had only just done some What's My Lines before he died, no sign of them though.

Lovely stuff, I'll check that out. I bet those What's My Lines exist somewhere. Hope we eventually see them.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Menu on March 04, 2022, 11:32:45 AMCLOSE THREAD

I'd posted something, then discovered it was bollocks, so edited it to say 'Nothing. Sorry' because there's no 'delete' button. Sorry about that. Carry on!

Menu

I was only joking. Would have liked to see what you'd written actually.

Menu

Has anyone read old Barfey's book about them? Should probably get that.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Menu on March 04, 2022, 12:27:15 PMI was only joking. Would have liked to see what you'd written actually.

It really wasn't remotely helpful, or even funny. It was before I'd watched the clip, for one thing.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Menu on March 04, 2022, 11:36:17 AMApparently Ed Sullivan was a big fan and got them on the show quite a few times. Would have been weird if they'd made it over there wouldn't it?

Ed Sullivan must have been quite a fan of English comedy. I remember seeing a clip of Joyce Grenfell on there (the same show on which Elvis Presley made his debut).

Menu

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 04, 2022, 12:48:54 PMIt really wasn't remotely helpful, or even funny. It was before I'd watched the clip, for one thing.

Still can't believe that interview is just three hours after he died. I feel for Ernie because he was a brilliant performer and the best straight man in the business but he was pretty brutally discarded after Eric's death. He still had a lot to offer(he wasn't really even that old) and could quite easily have gone down the Brucie route maybe. I'd have much preferred seeing Ernie present light entertainment shows that Forsyth or fucking Barrymore.

Menu

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 04, 2022, 12:54:47 PMEd Sullivan must have been quite a fan of English comedy. I remember seeing a clip of Joyce Grenfell on there (the same show on which Elvis Presley made his debut).

Wow never knew that. That's a proper variety show right there! Have to say I did always think that Ed Sullivan was almost laughably unsuited to be a presenter of any television show, let alone the biggest one on US television. He always looks so wooden and devoid of charisma. How did that happen?

gilbertharding

Quote from: Menu on March 04, 2022, 12:55:24 PMStill can't believe that interview is just three hours after he died. I feel for Ernie because he was a brilliant performer and the best straight man in the business but he was pretty brutally discarded after Eric's death. He still had a lot to offer(he wasn't really even that old) and could quite easily have gone down the Brucie route maybe. I'd have much preferred seeing Ernie present light entertainment shows that Forsyth or fucking Barrymore.

It would have been terrible if he'd gotten himself a massive dog though, to be fair.

Menu

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 04, 2022, 01:03:16 PMIt would have been terrible if he'd gotten himself a massive dog though, to be fair.

Ha, yeah! Even Bernie Winters got more work than Ern.

Autopsy Turvey

I always assumed Ernie didn't feel right continuing to be a high profile entertainer without Eric; he was 60, and he'd looked after his money, so I don't imagine there was a burning ambition to make it on his own. But let's not overlook Wise On The Wireless, although it's easy to do so as everyone else has. I heard a couple at the time, and remember them being lots of fun, but there's been no repeat or release since as far as I'm aware. The Radio Times write-ups certainly arouse curiosity, especially the final episode:

QuoteLadies and gentlemen, please welcome to your radios this good, old-fashioned comedy show starring the handsome devil-may-care trillionaire Ernie Wise and that mad bunch who work with him: Colonel Bonky, Morris, Mr Selinar Scot, Lady Hermione Clanger and Otto Von Strobelamp.

He's rich, talented, handsome, versatile and charming. But never mind Derek Jameson, tune in to the peculiar world of Ernie Wise, business tycoon.

This week sees Colonel Bonky St John Bedpost showing Ernie Wise the correct way to entertain at an all-nude barbecue.

The first series reaches a climax when Ernie trains his wig to fry omelettes, Colonel Bonky tries an interesting experiment with a bicycle pump, and Selinar Scott tries on the latest in Celtic underwear - the Highland G-fling.

Brundle-Fly

This is delightful. 28 years old, I was.

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on March 04, 2022, 11:46:36 AMLooks Familiar on YouTube. I wish there were more, I love/d listening to old people in the 1970s and 80s talk about how much fun they had in the 1930s and 40s

I used to watch that with my mum all the time when I was very young, I can't believe it ran 17 years 1970-87 - it's the late 70's/early 80's ones I remember.

Here's the M&W clip mentioned

Menu

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on March 04, 2022, 01:13:36 PMI always assumed Ernie didn't feel right continuing to be a high profile entertainer without Eric; he was 60, and he'd looked after his money, so I don't imagine there was a burning ambition to make it on his own. But let's not overlook Wise On The Wireless, although it's easy to do so as everyone else has. I heard a couple at the time, and remember them being lots of fun, but there's been no repeat or release since as far as I'm aware. The Radio Times write-ups certainly arouse curiosity, especially the final episode:

Wow, would love to hear this, it sounds great. I wonder who wrote it? I have a feeling I've read somewhere that Ernie did want to do more stuff but there just weren't any offers. I think he even had a sitcom idea where he was the father to a 'punk rocker'. Would have been a bit like Home To Roost with John Thaw I suppose.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on March 04, 2022, 01:13:36 PMI always assumed Ernie didn't feel right continuing to be a high profile entertainer without Eric; he was 60, and he'd looked after his money, so I don't imagine there was a burning ambition to make it on his own.

Apparently, some time after Eric's death, Ernie approached their old friend Eric Sykes to ask if he wanted to team up for a 'new Eric & Ernie' double act. Sykes calmly told him that nobody could fill that man's shoes and it would be a bad career move for both of them.

Menu

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 04, 2022, 01:20:58 PMThis is delightful. 28 years old, I was.

That's lovely. Although the interviewer no-selling many of the jokes is annoying. But nice to see Eric so relaxed.

The film he mentions is probably Night Train To Murder I think. ITV promised them a proper big budget film but in the end it was shot on video and looks pretty ropey at times. I still love it and it has some of my favourite M&W moments in it but it has a bad reputation and apparently they hated it. It was pretty much the last thing they did and was only broadcast after he'd died. Sad because it's actually really good.

poodlefaker

He had his "Gardenwise with Little Ern" column in the News of the World for years. Probably didn't have much time left after sweating over that all week.

Menu

Quote from: Better Midlands on March 04, 2022, 01:21:44 PMI used to watch that with my mum all the time when I was very young, I can't believe it ran 17 years 1970-87 - it's the late 70's/early 80's ones I remember.

Here's the M&W clip mentioned

That's great, thank you. Love the money routine. It's a bit of a weird interview isn't it. Norden just asks each of them the same question but doesn't really listen to the answers just immediately moves on to the next person to ask literally the same question. Feel sorry for that poor bear too.

Menu

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 04, 2022, 01:30:48 PMApparently, some time after Eric's death, Ernie approached their old friend Eric Sykes to ask if he wanted to team up for a 'new Eric & Ernie' double act. Sykes calmly told him that nobody could fill that man's shoes and it would be a bad career move for both of them.

Yeah I can't see that working but he could definitely have fronted stuff, or acted in things. He was a natural performer.

Ignatius_S

Wise did various stage and live work, both here and overseas, and suspect did more than people suppose.

Menu

Quote from: poodlefaker on March 04, 2022, 01:41:18 PMHe had his "Gardenwise with Little Ern" column in the News of the World for years. Probably didn't have much time left after sweating over that all week.

Ha ha! Also famously the first person to use a mobile phone in the UK. That's a strange one - he pretty much gets turfed off the TV as soon as Eric dies but for some reason is seen a few years later as the natural choice to promote an exciting new era in telecommunications.

Menu

Quote from: Ignatius_S on March 04, 2022, 01:51:28 PMWise did various stage and live work, both here and overseas, and suspect did more than people suppose.

Ah did he, that's interesting. What sort of stuff? I remember a TV show he did probably in about 85 which was in front of a studio audience and was him standing on stage on his own telling a few anecdotes and showing a few clips of him and Eric. But sadly I can't remember much else.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Menu on March 04, 2022, 01:25:59 PMWow, would love to hear this, it sounds great. I wonder who wrote it?

Martin Booth, Stuart Silver, Alan Whiting and Malcolm Williamson

Quotesome time after Eric's death, Ernie approached their old friend Eric Sykes to ask if he wanted to team up for a 'new Eric & Ernie' double act.

Jeez, this is the saddest thing, the thought of Ernie ringing round other men called Eric to see if they'd be in a double act with him. "Heffer's busy, Estrada's busy, the Crafty Cockney's busy, Von Däniken's a maybe..."

Menu

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on March 04, 2022, 01:56:04 PMMartin Booth, Stuart Silver, Alan Whiting and Malcolm Williamson

Jeez, this is the saddest thing, the thought of Ernie ringing round other men called Eric to see if they'd be in a double act with him. "Heffer's busy, Estrada's busy, the Crafty Cockney's busy, Von Däniken's a maybe..."

Yes that is sad. I remember when Ronnie Barker retired, Corbett and Forsyth teamed up for a  Christmas show. Would have liked to have seen Ernie do something like that. But yes, with the wrong person it would have been a bit depressing. I could see him doing something like The Generation Game though.

FredNurke

I remember Ernie being on Rainbow in the mid to late 80s, teaching Zippy how to tell jokes.

Also, I have the lfbarfe book and enjoyed it.