Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:23:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Boys (Diabolical, Season 3 etc.)

Started by up_the_hampipe, March 04, 2022, 09:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

Lots of people expected that Homelander would lose his powers.

colacentral

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 09, 2022, 11:16:23 AMLots of people expected that Homelander would lose his powers.

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 04, 2022, 07:12:26 PM
Spoiler alert
Hughie teleports Soldier Boy into space and leaves him there
[close]

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 05, 2022, 05:21:44 PMWe should be writing for Hollywood!

Do you have an issue with people speculating about where things are going? When we talk about episodes on a weekly basis, it's natural to speculate on what might happpen next. Not sure why that warrants weaselley passive aggressive insults.

bakabaka

As usual I misunderstood Soldier Boy's powers - I thought his blast removed powers from people, rather than kill them (like Kimiko).

So I couldn't work out why Butcher didn't want Ryan to lose his powers (alongside Homelander). Which, in turn, made the whole fight completely contradictory and pointless.

Good to see Maeve go out being massively positive. I hadn't expected such a redemptive arc for anyone in the show.

Dr Rock

Nah it can kill people too. He went cuckoo in New York and blew up about 20 people.

Dr Rock

QuoteQuote from: Dr Rock on July 04, 2022, 07:12:26 PM
Spoiler alert
Hughie teleports Soldier Boy into space and leaves him there

Come on, that wold have been great.

up_the_hampipe

Man, that fight was so illogical you've got people believing this now https://twitter.com/eustassvinsmoke/status/1545236509862789121

According to Kripke, the two writers of this episode have never written for The Boys before, and one of them was writing their first ever script. Explains some inconsistencies and clunky plot beats. But obviously they're all to blame for quite lazily hitting reset on the major situations.

BritishHobo

What a bizarre choice to make for the finale writers.

Shaky

I mostly enjoyed the finale but it was definitely more about setting up next season - removing a couple of characters, setting up new story beats for Homelander, Butcher, Ashley, A-Train, Neumann. All of which seemed somewhat stretched out to justify the season. Soldier Boy ultimately felt like a wasted opportunity. Agree Maeve should've died but on the other hand, it might have felt a bit mean considering the writers had given her less and less to do.

Will be interesting to see how much of this stuff they actually work with. I'm pretty resigned to the fact they'll probably never top the S1 ending.

Dr Rock

Maeve should've died from the fall? Maybe Soldier Boy's depowering blast takes a couple of seconds to work fully?

bakabaka

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 10, 2022, 09:13:44 AMMaeve should've died from the fall? Maybe Soldier Boy's depowering blast takes a couple of seconds to work fully?
I think you'll find that Soldier Boy, as well as PTSD, has PDSP, Plot-Dependant Super Powers.

bakabaka

This oddly popped up unbidden; 'the one who failed the audition'?

dissolute ocelot

It would definitely have made more sense for Maeve to die. Although killing lesbians is a controversial thing in TV and films so maybe they didn't feel able to do that. Definitely too many people left alive though. It would have been neater (and more redemptive) for A-Train to die, although the heart transplant was a nice gag, I just hope we see some racist cardiology coming up as it reacts against his body.

More news on spin-offs, with college series Gen V apparently set to go. So much of the success of The Boys depends on character/actor, that it's hard to be 100% confident, but at least there will be blood and nudity.

up_the_hampipe

Yeah, not sure about the spin-offs. It's a weird thing to turn this into a universe like what they're parodying. I guess it's cake and eat it.

You're right about the actors being integral, as the writing on the main show can sometimes be bland, and not everyone can elevate it (Starlight/Hughie and Frenchie/Kimiko scenes this season were like a torturously repetitive, out of place teen drama). For whatever reason, I can't see them having the talent level of Starr, Urban and Ackles involved with this, so let's hope the writing is really sharp.

Dr Rock

What would happen to Homelander if Hughie teleported him into the centre of the earth? Or solid rock?

Dr Rock

They really should've discussed whether his power could be lethal to Homelander. Probably is, while he's still got it.

jobotic

I watched Sea Beast with my son this weekend. The main beast hunter is voiced by Karl Urban with exactly the same Butcher accent. Was waiting for him to say "cunt" all the way through it. He does say "bollocksed" at one point.