Support CaB

Subscribers don't see this.

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

August 19, 2022, 08:44:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

The Boys (Diabolical, Season 3 etc.)

Started by up_the_hampipe, March 04, 2022, 09:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

#90
I like that we get full versions of the in-universe TV clips, especially the Robert Mitchum calypso parody  https://twitter.com/jensensboyjared/status/1542693383864467456

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 01, 2022, 03:35:56 PMThis is getting high marks by critics so far in the third series. Is that justified?

If they can stick the landing next week, it'll be one of the best seasons of television this year, along with Barry, Better Call Saul and (so I've heard) Stranger Things. I'd say this is the best season of the show so far, at the very least.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on July 01, 2022, 03:39:06 PMI'd say this is the best season of the show so far, at the very least.

Thanks. First series was great but the second made me want to jump ship. Good to hear it's getting back on track because Homelander is such a great villain. One of the best in years. Even if it stayed shit but the Homelander scenes were good it would be worth watching for that.

stonkers

I think they develop Homelander very well in this season.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: stonkers on July 01, 2022, 06:22:16 PMI think they develop Homelander very well in this season.

Definitely. Antony Starr has been doing some of his very best work as well. The mirror scene from episode 6 was particularly astonishing.

stonkers

Yeah there's an awful lot more going on than the tired old "what if Superman was a baddy instead of a goody and he punched people's heads off" trope. He's really the main character of the show now, I just hope they stick the landing.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Homelander is a delight to watch. This is a great take on someone suffering from arrested development. They have given a lot of glimpses that he's partly a victim, who never got any real opportunity to really grow up, and who handles powers too strong, especially with that kind of immaturity and his own insecurities. But he's still ridiculous and frightening.
I don't mind the parallels with Trump, which they decided to emphasize. Sure, it could have been done with more subtlety, but Trump is particularly blunt on his own, and at some point, just like when they made Neo-Nazis the bad guys in Peacemaker, you have to call a spade a spade rather than beating around the bush and staying within the confines of some abstract fantasy.

Poobum

Assume there's gonna be a payoff for
Spoiler alert
A-Train not dying
[close]
I won't be happy if he reverts to type. Have a feeling Hughie's gonna take someone out by teleporting into them.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on July 01, 2022, 03:39:06 PMI like that we get full versions of the in-universe TV clips, especially the Robert Mitchum calypso parody  https://twitter.com/jensensboyjared/status/1542693383864467456

If they can stick the landing next week, it'll be one of the best seasons of television this year, along with Barry, Better Call Saul and (so I've heard) Stranger Things. I'd say this is the best season of the show so far, at the very least.

Don't forget Severance, that was fucking brilliant.

Fishfinger

#98
Quote from: BritishHobo on July 01, 2022, 02:25:27 PM[...] it does feel like they're heading to the point of no return, hopefully things are going to absolutely explode in the finale.

Has to. The build-up of and tension around Black Noir, to mention one thing of many, has to get paid off.


dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Small Potatoes on July 01, 2022, 01:58:56 PMAnother belter episode, but by Christ those Cockney accents were appalling.
The Butcher house looked very American/Canadian rather than British too, the panelling on the walls and everything. Stop getting Britain wrong!

But fuck me can't wait till next week.

BeardFaceMan

Gonna have to go some to top that Homelander/Butcher/Hughie/Soldier Boy dust up, I'm really looking forward to seeing what they have planned. This show is different enough from the comics now that I have no idea where they're going with it.

bakabaka

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on July 02, 2022, 07:37:38 PMThis show is different enough from the comics now that I have no idea where they're going with it.
I'm getting a little bit worried about this as the scripts are beginning to circle the brain drain of Hollywood cliché territory in the last couple of episodes. Various characters extolling the obligatory virtues of 'Family', the lowest common denominator of The American Way, and Butcher and Homelander having Daddy Issues (which I don't think is quite as obligatory as it was 10 years ago) does not bode well, so they'll need to do something rather special in the finale to avoid disappointment.
Spoiler alert
Giving Homelander Daddy Issues to go with his Mommy Issues is an interesting twist, though of course it could be made up by Soldier Boy to fuck up Homelander. I've found Homelander's childishness/stupidity to be one of his redeeming features that makes him more watchable, so I'm not sure if SB taking over the bad guy role for the next series will work. Though having an intelligent adversary for the Boys will make for a greater challenge, I suppose.
[close]

colacentral

I'm thinking
Spoiler alert
Soldier Boy unintentionally takes Homelander's powers away after another blackout. I've thought that was inevitable since they introduced the power. How do you make Homelander more pathetic? Force him to live like a normal person for a bit.
[close]

BritishHobo

That would be really really fun. Although
Spoiler alert
they would have to come up with a really good reason as to why Butcher doesn't just kick fuck out of him until he's dead.
[close]

bakabaka

Quote from: BritishHobo on July 04, 2022, 10:08:02 AMThat would be really really fun. Although
Spoiler alert
they would have to come up with a really good reason as to why Butcher doesn't just kick fuck out of him until he's dead.
[close]
Have the scene take place in front of their son?

Though if the lad finds out that Soldier Boy can take away his powers, that would become his obsession till it happens.

phantom_power

Why are we spoilering guesses?

It could happen without Butcher being around of course

colacentral

Quote from: phantom_power on July 04, 2022, 11:50:31 AMWhy are we spoilering guesses?

It could happen without Butcher being around of course

Just to be on the safe side, since it gives away that both characters are still alive if anyone hasn't seen the last one.

phantom_power

Fair enough, though I think revealing the opposite would be a bigger spoiler

up_the_hampipe

My theory for the finale:

Spoiler alert
During some big fight where Homelander and Soldier Boy are now on the same side, Butcher & Hughie play some Russian music which triggers SB's PTSD blast. However, due to the long charge-up time, Homelander is able to escape. Maybe MM and Frenchie use the nerve agent to subdue SB for the remainder of that fight. Someone may die during the blast, maybe Maeve (Black Noir will factor into this somewhere, maybe getting some good shots in on Soldier Boy). Later, HL is furious thinking that his dad tried to kill him, unaware of the PTSD stuff. "Of course he couldn't stand to see someone take the spotlight!" So he kills Soldier Boy either in a 1-1 fight or an immediate death cos SB doesn't want to fight his son, probably confused by the whole situation since he blacked out. Next season HL has spiralled worse than ever with no one on his side, he finally had a dad but killed him in a misunderstanding. This leads to his endgame rampage we've been waiting for.
[close]

Or not. That's what's so exciting about this finale. We have veered so far from the source material, but in a very interesting way imo.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on July 04, 2022, 04:20:45 PMMy theory for the finale:

Spoiler alert
During some big fight where Homelander and Soldier Boy are now on the same side, Butcher & Hughie play some Russian music which triggers SB's PTSD blast. However, due to the long charge-up time, Homelander is able to escape. Maybe MM and Frenchie use the nerve agent to subdue SB for the remainder of that fight. Someone may die during the blast, maybe Maeve (Black Noir will factor into this somewhere, maybe getting some good shots in on Soldier Boy). Later, HL is furious thinking that his dad tried to kill him, unaware of the PTSD stuff. "Of course he couldn't stand to see someone take the spotlight!" So he kills Soldier Boy either in a 1-1 fight or an immediate death cos SB doesn't want to fight his son, probably confused by the whole situation since he blacked out. Next season HL has spiralled worse than ever with no one on his side, he finally had a dad but killed him in a misunderstanding. This leads to his endgame rampage we've been waiting for.
[close]

Or not. That's what's so exciting about this finale. We have veered so far from the source material, but in a very interesting way imo.

I dont like the complete 180 theyve done with Hughies character, and that it took so long for Compound V to be introduced,  but, a few niggles aside, those have been my only real gripes about the tv show compared to the comic. Which is quite good considering how much a fan of the comics i am, its changed enough from the comics that i dont know where theyre going with it and im not unhappy about that.

Dr Rock

Spoiler alert
Hughie teleports Soldier Boy into space and leaves him there
[close]

BritishHobo

How different are the comics then? Is it just the order of the plot events, or is the characterisation significantly different as well? I've been thinking of getting into the comics and probably more likely to do so if it seems like the overall story might end up completely differently.

bakabaka

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 04, 2022, 07:12:26 PM
Spoiler alert
Hughie teleports Soldier Boy into space and leaves him there
[close]
And Soldier Boy removes Hughie's powers before he can go back?

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: BritishHobo on July 04, 2022, 08:03:18 PMHow different are the comics then? Is it just the order of the plot events, or is the characterisation significantly different as well? I've been thinking of getting into the comics and probably more likely to do so if it seems like the overall story might end up completely differently.

Yeah there's some serious difference in characterization for a few characters. Hughie has changed a lot (I don't want to go into too much detail into how if you're going to read the comics), Frenchie is basically unrecognizable from the comic version (which is fair enough, he was a bit too batshit in the comics for it to work on tv) but they seem to have forgotten to give the tv version any character at all. There's also a pretty big reveal at the end of the comics that I don't think they'll be doing in the tv version, I think their ending will be different than the comics version.

jobotic

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on July 02, 2022, 07:27:33 PMThe Butcher house looked very American/Canadian rather than British too, the panelling on the walls and everything. Stop getting Britain wrong!

But fuck me can't wait till next week.


Yeah. And who supports West Ham.and Charlton?

Mobius

Quote from: jobotic on July 05, 2022, 12:14:57 AMYeah. And who supports West Ham.and Charlton?

I wondered this too, but maybe the two brothers supported different teams

up_the_hampipe


Dr Rock

Quote from: bakabaka on July 04, 2022, 08:04:54 PMAnd Soldier Boy removes Hughie's powers before he can go back?

We should be writing for Hollywood!

AngryGazelle

Fantastic season so far, let's hope they stick the landing.

Episode 7 was brilliant; I really enjoyed all the animated sequences, and can't help but laugh at Soldier Boy's crudeness.

Black Noir is a goner in the finale, right?