Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:53:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What was up with Mr Bean's original airing schedule?

Started by Memorex MP3, March 05, 2022, 06:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

Genuinely all I remember from Room 426 is Bean covering his bare arse with an exit sign. Which to be fair, is a very good joke.

Replies From View

I can remember him finding a way past some elderly folk on a staircase

LemenTheGent

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 07, 2022, 11:01:17 AMeven more odd the heavily New Year's Eve themed Do-it-yourself (NYE party, NYD sales) went out on the 10th, which is utter Christmas done and dusted time. Livens up a miserable January I suppose. Along with Tim Yeo MP resigning over his love child.

As a kid I had a VHS recording of the original airing - it's my favoutite Bean episode, and easily one of the funniest things I've ever seen. I still watch it at least once a year and always lose my shit when he serves twigs and vinegar to Rupert and Hubert.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Replies From View on March 07, 2022, 02:59:44 PMI can remember him finding a way past some elderly folk on a staircase

Getting food poisoning from oysters and having a nightmare of horribly grinning Michael Fenton Stevens offering him a disgusting plate of steaming shellfish.

JamesTC

Did Mr Bean headbutt the Queen or was it supposed to be some generic royal?

Mr. Ssmsslth

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on March 07, 2022, 11:47:43 AMMr Bean's Holiday is much closer to Jacques Tati than the first film. There some heartwarming moments, but the script doesn't have everyone else talking incessantly while Bean remains silent, or have him try to ingratiate himself into a typical American family.

It does have Willem Dafoe as a self-important film director, though, so that's quite fun.

Mr Bean's holiday has a wonderful end scene. Was watching it randomly one lazy afternoon and that ending floored me. Just so joyous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Iykn4mBT9U

Mr. Ssmsslth

Just looked it up, apparently she was meant to be the Queen Mother:

idunnosomename

Wow actual good content from the Bean tube. Genuine laugh at the willy gag and the headbutt. Childish yes but still very funny

Replies From View

I recognise that copyright Mr Bean signature from the 1993 Mr Bean diary.  I have a feeling it's a scan of the exact same one, which would be mad if true.

Edit:  I've just done a little search and my memory is playing tricks.  A Mr Bean signature doesn't appear on the diary's cover, at least.  I still reckon they scanned it from something 30 years old rather than just make a new one, though.

Sebastian Cobb

I kind of supposed it was made as filler content for slack schedule time, a bit how like CH4 used to fling in episodes of Murun Buchstansangur, but they do look to be consistent 24 min episodes.

Virgo76

Quote from: Wadded Beef on March 07, 2022, 07:42:20 AMIt's a bit odd that the Christmas episode first aired four days after the actual Day.
Not really.

Quote from: JamesTC on March 07, 2022, 01:01:18 PMWould love a longer version of the original Bean movie. Was apparently chopped to ribbons by the studio.

#RELEASETHESNYDERCUT

Replies From View

Quote from: Virgo76 on March 08, 2022, 08:53:38 PMNot really.

4 days after Christmas Day I really start feeling in the mood for Christmas content.

Virgo76

It's hardly unusual to show Christmas specials a few days after Christmas. It's still the Christmas period until January 6th. TV scheduling doesn't revert to normal at the stroke of midnight on December 25th.
Last year, the Death in Paradise Christmas special was on Boxing Day and on the 29th, the Beeb was still showing repeats of Xmas specials from the previous year on BBC 1 and 2. So, no. It's not unusual.

Bad Ambassador

I think New Year's Day, or the New Year Bank Holiday if it falls on a weekend, is the end of the festivities.

Virgo76

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on March 09, 2022, 02:16:52 PMI think New Year's Day, or the New Year Bank Holiday if it falls on a weekend, is the end of the festivities.
What about January 6th? Twelfth Night etc?

Bad Ambassador

What about it? Unless you're in the Orthodox Church or the 18th century, I don't think it's relevant.

purlieu

It used to be Christmas until school started up again. As an adult, it's Christmas until 2nd January when everything goes boring again.

Although the very best Bean is clearly early on, I don't really agree with the idea that the later ones were shit. Tee Off, Mr. Bean is one of my favourites, and I like Good Night, Mr. Bean a lot too. Room 426 is actually my least favourite, largely because it focuses so heavily on the unpleasant side of his character where he's basically making the other guy's stay in the hotel grim through his relentless and unnecessary competitiveness. I tend to prefer the character when he's just going about his only bizarre version of day-to-day life.

Cuellar

JamesTC

For some reason, even as a child, Room 426 and Mind the Baby had a weird quality to them. I think they felt more expensive than the rest due to being all location filming. Mr Bean shouldn't have that filmic look.

Also, this is real:

JamesTC

I suppose Mr Bean goes a bit the way of Jerk Ass Homer near the end.

That didn't just stop me howling at this bit.

EDIT:

purlieu

Dickhead Bean is funny in small doses. Also that bit is great because there's a real joy in the anti-authoritarian nature of it. He's the sort of person our childish Bean would love to throw a chair at. Also the headmaster's performance is great.

Replies From View

Quote from: Virgo76 on March 09, 2022, 02:13:14 PMIt's hardly unusual to show Christmas specials a few days after Christmas. It's still the Christmas period until January 6th. TV scheduling doesn't revert to normal at the stroke of midnight on December 25th.
Last year, the Death in Paradise Christmas special was on Boxing Day and on the 29th, the Beeb was still showing repeats of Xmas specials from the previous year on BBC 1 and 2. So, no. It's not unusual.

I'd have expected some difference though between the feeble stench of unloved repeats and HOLY FUCK THE NEWEST MR BEAN - WE GOTTA GET OUR COCKS OUT RIGHT NOW FELLAS, YES YOU TOO THE MATHS TEACHER.

Unless it's a sign that Mr Bean was no hotshot yet in the scheduling department, which is the most likely explanation.

Replies From View

Quote from: Virgo76 on March 09, 2022, 02:29:10 PMWhat about January 6th? Twelfth Night etc?

There's probably a religious cut-off point but the appropriateness of an overtly Christmassy special is always down to how festive people still feel at that point in the holiday.  At some point it starts feeling even more sickly to continue hearing Christmas songs, or see the end of a length of tinsel hanging out of a cat's anus.  December 22nd, 23rd etc it's lovely and warm to watch the 1980s BBC version of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.  No fucker is yearning for it on the 31st.

The premiere of a Christmas special some several days after Christmas Day just says it wasn't a priority for the channel to get it seen within the correct window of time.

Virgo76

Quote from: Replies From View on March 10, 2022, 11:47:24 AMThere's probably a religious cut-off point but the appropriateness of an overtly Christmassy special is always down to how festive people still feel at that point in the holiday.  At some point it starts feeling even more sickly to continue hearing Christmas songs, or see the end of a length of tinsel hanging out of a cat's anus.  December 22nd, 23rd etc it's lovely and warm to watch the 1980s BBC version of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.  No fucker is yearning for it on the 31st.

The premiere of a Christmas special some several days after Christmas Day just says it wasn't a priority for the channel to get it seen within the correct window of time.

Yes. Fair point really.

neveragain

My odd Mr Bean story is I had a dream in which he was running around a theme park searching for a lost child a couple of months before Mind The Baby was broadcast. Not exactly the same plot but enough to cause a shudder.

JamesTC

Quote from: neveragain on March 10, 2022, 05:22:10 PMMy odd Mr Bean story is I had a dream in which he was running around a theme park searching for a lost child a couple of months before Mind The Baby was broadcast. Not exactly the same plot but enough to cause a shudder.

It was delayed, so maybe you had heard the plot before you forgotten it and it seaped into your subconscious.

Replies From View

It was delayed due to real life events that probably entered your subconscious as well.

non capisco

Quote from: JamesTC on March 09, 2022, 09:36:53 PMI suppose Mr Bean goes a bit the way of Jerk Ass Homer near the end.

That didn't just stop me howling at this bit.

Yeah, even though a gamete swimming in a concussed dog's balls could guess what was going to happen from the title of the video alone I have to admit that got me good.