Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:00:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Forces TV

Started by monkfromhavana, March 07, 2022, 10:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Forces TV showing what I think is their first feature film next week. An Ungentlemanly Act, 1992, Ian Richardson and Bob Peck.

JesusAndYourBush

Does anyone know what areas of the country get Forces TV on Freeview.  I don't get it in Leeds but Googling around there's nothing easily findable that tells you, just that not everywhere can receive the channel.

Indomitable Spirit

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on March 29, 2022, 04:58:16 PMDoes anyone know what areas of the country get Forces TV on Freeview.  I don't get it in Leeds but Googling around there's nothing easily findable that tells you, just that not everywhere can receive the channel.

I'm in Leeds too, and we definitely get Forces TV (should be channel 96 on Freeview) so maybe retune your set?

We also get That's TV (channel 91) which is an even more delicious and decadent spin on the Forces TV model. The other week they were showing back to back episodes of Russ Abbot's Madhouse in PRIME TIME and I've just turned it on now and they're treating us to some Hale & Pace.

I FUCKING LOVE MY LIFE!

non capisco

Every time I've flicked past That's TV whatever they've been showing has been in what I can only describe as "nan's house aspect ratio". Have they started showing 80s TV in 4:3 yet? It's Russ Abbot's Madhouse, not Once Upon A Time In The West.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Indomitable Spirit on March 30, 2022, 12:02:29 AMI'm in Leeds too, and we definitely get Forces TV (should be channel 96 on Freeview) so maybe retune your set?

We also get That's TV (channel 91)

Nope, don't get either of those, never have, and I've retuned a bunch of times in the last year.  I get all the others though.

Quote from: non capisco on March 30, 2022, 01:09:52 AMEvery time I've flicked past That's TV whatever they've been showing has been in what I can only describe as "nan's house aspect ratio".

I've noticed that when some channels show things in 4:3 it looks too narrow.  I don't know if it's just because I'm used to seeing everything in 16:9 but it's not just the picture being narrow, the people look too narrow.  When I stretch it to 16:9 it's a tad too wide but I've found within about a minute my brain has compensated and it looks normal.  One time when I changed back to a proper 16:9 channel my brain was still compensating for a few seconds so I literally watched as the too-wide people literally reduce back down to the correct width over a couple of seconds.

Quote from: A Hat Like That on March 29, 2022, 05:03:47 PMdoes this help?

https://www.freeview.co.uk/freeview-channel-checker

Ah, I found something that linked to that page earlier but when I clicked it it redirected to another page on that site so I assumed the page no longer existed. Your link works though.   Among the things it says engineering work might be affecting things, but I've retuned quite a bit over the last few years and never got them, so unless the engineering work is taking several years it can't be that.

While I'm talking about freeview, one thing that pisses me off is that they keep adding a new channel, and it makes a bunch of other channels all move up one. They just did it again.  It means that all your favourite channels that you can remember the number to all change and you have ro remember the new number.  Channels that had logical numbers like 4 Seven was ch.47 are no longer on their original number.  Why can't they assign the new channel one of the unused numbers instead of moving them all up one? Twats!

monkfromhavana

I wonder if this spike in Forces TV viewing figures is going to push the top brass into military action somewhere, believing that "the people are behind us".

Only if 'us' includes Anton Rodgers.

QuoteWhile I'm talking about freeview, one thing that pisses me off is that they keep adding a new channel, and it makes a bunch of other channels all move up one. They just did it again.  It means that all your favourite channels that you can remember the number to all change and you have ro remember the new number.  Channels that had logical numbers like 4 Seven was ch.47 are no longer on their original number.  Why can't they assign the new channel one of the unused numbers instead of moving them all up one? Twats!

When I first moved back to the UK, my TV decided to just put all the channels - radio and TV - in alphabetical order. BBC is danger close to Babestation.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: A Hat Like That on March 30, 2022, 09:08:52 AMOnly if 'us' includes Anton Rodgers.

That's "Forces Sweetheart" Anton Rodgers to you, civilian.

kaprisky

Is Forces TV only available on Freeview via Freeview HD and Freeview Play? A bog-standard telly and aerial just won't receive it.

I notice that "W" is now on Freeview. Some of the schedule is just repeats of Tipping Point.

Fr.Bigley

Forces TV sounds like something Chris Tarrant does when he has people round at CHRIStmas.

Is this where we'll be able to watch the new Obi Wan Kenobi programme?

Indomitable Spirit

Quote from: kaprisky on March 30, 2022, 11:46:25 AMIs Forces TV only available on Freeview via Freeview HD and Freeview Play? A bog-standard telly and aerial just won't receive it.

I get Forces TV on a 10+ year old Toshiba with a wire coat hanger jammed in the aerial socket, so it might be that you live in an area that doesn't receive it or your aerial may need repositioning.

Lost Oliver

My nan's watching this atm. Always on whenever I round and I did wonder what the fuck it was.

Speaking of Freeview though I wonder if you could help me. I live in a basement flat and don't have any signal so can't get any of the channels. I need an aerial but whenever I've bought one it doesn't work. I'd flash the cash for one if anyone can recommend one and say that there's a 50% chance of it working.

JesusAndYourBush

One Freeview channel that has never made any sense is one up in the 80s that (according to the guide) shows a documentary on Mary Millington nearly every night but whenever I take a peek is the dullest most unsexy shite.  Finally a few weeks ago I recognised the programme it was showing and realised it's never shown the Mary Millington documentary, and it's possible it's actually a different channel entirely.  One of these days when I'm bored enough I'll watch it for long enough to work out what the deal is.

kaprisky

Quote from: Indomitable Spirit on March 30, 2022, 11:58:52 AMI get Forces TV on a 10+ year old Toshiba with a wire coat hanger jammed in the aerial socket, so it might be that you live in an area that doesn't receive it or your aerial may need repositioning.

Maybe your TV has Freeview HD built-in. The Freeview website suggests that's the only way you can watch it via the aerial, and I tried London and Leeds postcodes in the search box.

TPTV used to be Freeview HD but since they went to the standard signal in Nov 2017 they seem to have flourished.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Lost Oliver on March 30, 2022, 09:31:29 PMSpeaking of Freeview though I wonder if you could help me. I live in a basement flat and don't have any signal so can't get any of the channels. I need an aerial but whenever I've bought one it doesn't work. I'd flash the cash for one if anyone can recommend one and say that there's a 50% chance of it working.

I don't know if it would still work in a basement but I had one like this(don't know if it was this brand, it was inherited boxless from a mate) and although it looks like a floppy bit of plastic, it was the best indoor aerial I've ever had by miles. Perfect Freeview HD.

weirdbeard

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on March 30, 2022, 01:19:10 AMNope, don't get either of those, never have, and I've retuned a bunch of times in the last year.  I get all the others though.

Will be probably one of two things, either your TV/Box isn't DVB-T2 (ie. Freeview 2.0) compatible, or whatever aerial you have isn't picking up the frequency (looks as though this frequency is generated less powerfully than the other channels). If you can get any HD channels, then you can discount the first reason.

If you're in Leeds, you're probably getting your signal from Emley Moor - this is what you should be getting. https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Emley_Moor

weirdbeard

By the way the multiplex that Forces TV is currently on is scheduled to close down by June so if they can't get a slot on another mutiplex then it'll disappear from Freeview then.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: weirdbeard on March 31, 2022, 01:41:17 AMBy the way the multiplex that Forces TV is currently on is scheduled to close down by June so if they can't get a slot on another mutiplex then it'll disappear from Freeview then.

It's run by the army, can't they just mount a coup and take over Create & Craft?

gilbertharding

Quote from: weirdbeard on March 31, 2022, 01:41:17 AMBy the way the multiplex that Forces TV is currently on is scheduled to close down by June so if they can't get a slot on another mutiplex then it'll disappear from Freeview.

And whither CHiPs then?

Pranet

I'm fucked off about this.

Apparently the channels on the multiplex that is shutting down are:

65 FreeSports
71 Quest Red+1
77 NOW 80s
86 More4+1
87 PBS America +1
91 That's TV
96 Forces TV

I don't watch that much tv, but when I do I might watch Freesports, Forces TV, and since they started showing old comedy, That's TV.

Never mind, I thought, my building has a communal dish on the side and a box on the wall, I'll buy a lead and retune using Freesat, been thinking of doing that anyway.

My tv appears not to support Freesat.

If I buy a Freesat box no doubt my TV will find a reason not to work with it somehow, because life is fucking shit.

Lost Oliver

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on March 31, 2022, 12:52:38 AMI don't know if it would still work in a basement but I had one like this(don't know if it was this brand, it was inherited boxless from a mate) and although it looks like a floppy bit of plastic, it was the best indoor aerial I've ever had by miles. Perfect Freeview HD.

Thanks man, I'll get it. Worth a try.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Pranet on March 31, 2022, 05:02:27 PMApparently the channels on the multiplex that is shutting down are:

65 FreeSports
71 Quest Red+1
77 NOW 80s
86 More4+1
87 PBS America +1
91 That's TV
96 Forces TV

I don't get any of those.  I get Quest Red, More4 and PBS America, not the +1's.  That multiplex must have a weak signal in my area.

One +1 channel that is a total waste of time is ITV4+1 which only seems to broadcast for 1 hour - a home shopping show at 3 or 4 am.  I don't know why that channel exists.

gilbertharding

Blue Jam

Quote from: monkfromhavana on March 07, 2022, 10:03:13 PMWhat is the point of Forces TV?

Who in the military watches this shit?

Ambient Sheep

Not that it affects me at the moment, but just curious: why are they shutting down a multiplex?

Pranet

Sell the bandwidth or whatever it is called to phone companies.

Also, I wonder, if it is partly about making Freeview less attractive so people are encouraged to get Sky or BT.

gilbertharding

Where are you getting the info that it's shutting down? I could only find this:

https://www.cordbusters.co.uk/7-freeview-channels-closing-down/

...which doesn't list it as being effected.