Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:36:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Eurovision Song Contest 2022 - Russines eunt domus

Started by Captain Z, March 10, 2022, 06:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevendaughters

greencalx

I think the historically poor performance of the UK at the contest has as much to do with our low-effort approach to entries as to general unpopularity on the continent. I suspect the TikTok effect was real.

If I'd like to see a change to the way the voting is done, it would be to make the televote window shorter. 15 minutes should be enough, surely... Or does the EBU get some revenue from the voting, which would push them towards a longer window. The songs and voting are fun, the interval is always a right drag.

danwho9

Quote from: sevendaughters on May 15, 2022, 10:36:52 AM2024 supermarket acid flashback

Those costumes from Histor's Eye aged well at least.

daf

2022 Grand Final Results :

1. 631 points |  Ukraine  :  Kalush Orchestra – "Stefania"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2. 466 points |    United Kingdom  :  Sam Ryder – "Space Man"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
3. 459 points |  Spain  :  Chanel – "SloMo"
4. 438 points |    SwedenCornelia Jakobs – "Hold Me Closer"   
5. 312 points |    SerbiaKonstrakta – "In corpore sano"
6. 268 points |  Italy  :  Mahmood and Blanco – "Brividi"
7. 253 points |    Moldova  :  Zdob și Zdub and Advahov Brothers – "Trenulețul"
8. 215 points |  Greece  :  Amanda Georgiadi Tenfjord – "Die Together"
9. 207 points |    Portugal  :  Maro – "Saudade, saudade"
10. 182 points |  Norway  :  Subwoolfer – "Give That Wolf a Banana"
11. 171 points  |    Netherlands  :  S10 – "De diepte"
12. 151 points  |    PolandOchman – "River"
13. 141 points |    EstoniaStefan – "Hope"
14. 128 points |    Lithuania  :  Monika Liu – "Sentimentai"
15. 125 points |    AustraliaSheldon Riley – "Not the Same"
16. 106 points  |    AzerbaijanNadir Rustamli – "Fade to Black"
17. 78 points |    Switzerland  :  Marius Bear – "Boys Do Cry"
18. 65 points |    RomaniaWRS – "Llámame"
19. 64 points |    BelgiumJérémie Makiese – "Miss You"
20. 61 points |  Armenia  :  Rosa Linn – "Snap"
21. 38 points |    Finland  :  The Rasmus‎ – "Jezebel"
22. 38 points |    Czech RepublicWe Are Domi – "Lights Off"
23. 20 points |  Iceland  :  Systur – "Með hækkandi sól"
24. 17 points |  France  :  Alvan and Ahez – "Fulenn"
25. 6 points |  Germany  :  Malik Harris – "Rockstars"

The Mollusk

Kind of impossible to not like Ryder isn't it, he did us proud

#notallbrits

Norton Canes

He's got the most Eurovision face ever

Didn't know anything about him as I haven't been following the build-up. Had a quick Google and sadly, the way things are these days with there being so many cunts around, first thing I did was check his politics. He appears not to be a cunt but I'm prepared to have my faith shattered.

DrGreggles

The UK doing well last night shows that there hasn't been a conspiracy against them for 20 years - it's just that their song entries have been fucking awful.

Their one last night wasn't great, but it was OK (and admittedly up against pretty poor competition), but the guy singing it played the game, schmoozing the media and generally being rather charming.

Germany's recent record is similarly bad, but nailed it with Lena about 10 years ago - and she was cute and funny and had an insanely catchy song.

It's not an exact science, but there's things that can be done to boost your chances, and for once the UK got it bang on.

the science eel

I liked Germany's song! it was naff as fuck but certainly memorable

badaids

Quote from: The Mollusk on May 15, 2022, 12:07:41 PMKind of impossible to not like Ryder isn't it, he did us proud

#notallbrits

It's impossible to like anyone from the UK that would willingly agree to represent the UK in the Eurovision.

I'd feel so patronised if I was the Ukrainian act.

The Mollusk

Quote from: badaids on May 15, 2022, 12:38:41 PMIt's impossible to like anyone from the UK that would willingly agree to represent the UK in the Eurovision.

You want to stroke his hair don't try and deny it

Jockice

We were robbed! Mind you, they were invaded. So they win.

Captain Z

The trend of copying what was popular the previous year is still alive and well, so we can probably expect lots more countries to get themselves invaded by Russia before the next contest.

Kankurette

Azerbaijan and Georgia both feeling very jealous right now.

I just figured out Mahmood was a previous entrant, who sang the banger Soldi.

I remember watching a clip of him performing the song live on some Italian TV show and loving the enthusiasm of the audience
https://youtu.be/-l1S9PIaYM8

Kankurette

Quote from: imitationleather on May 15, 2022, 02:22:55 AMWe came 2nd the year after Katrina and the Waves.

What a time to be alive that was.
Imaani?

flotemysost

I always miss the Eurovision thread as it's happening live as I'm invariably out shaking my arse off somewhere (I did briefly consider going to Turin this year but accommodation was pretty eye-watering), but this has been a great read as always.

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on May 15, 2022, 10:26:06 PMI just figured out Mahmood was a previous entrant, who sang the banger Soldi.

I remember watching a clip of him performing the song live on some Italian TV show and loving the enthusiasm of the audience
https://youtu.be/-l1S9PIaYM8

Yeah, I reckon they were banking on his existing popularity too much. Soldi was ace (and it came second in Tel Aviv!) and don't get me wrong, Brividi's a sweet song with a nice sentiment, but it was never gonna stand out in a year with that many slow/sad entries.

Better start looking up Airbnbs in Edinburgh/Manchester/Stockholm for May 2023, I guess!

greencalx

Might also consider Spain: out of the big 5, it's been the longest since they hosted.

Quote from: Crabwalk on May 14, 2022, 09:45:02 PMThey did a brilliant one about ten years ago too, with unicycles and a monocle

So Lucky

Yeah, popped in to say that's their third Eurovision attempt.

2005: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVhtWfC7RF4

Mr Eggs

Love your work on this thread, daf.
Though I have sold your location to Putin.

daf

Aw, thanks mate!

(Still got some Euro-night salt & vinegar Pringles left if anyone wants one!)

Kankurette

Catching up with this year and I'm loving the Norwegian furries and the weird gothy French group. Who came 24th for reasons I will never understand.

Jollity

French entry was my personal twelve points. People don't know what's good for them (I will undoubtedly say this every Eurovision)

Mr_Simnock

They haven't won since 1977 and their second last year was the best result since 1991. It's a worse tail for Spain who haven't won since 1969 and third place this year is their best finish since 1995, they have had 3 null points and come last 5 times. Germany have won it twice, 2010 and 1982, they also have had 8 last places and 3 null points. UK have had it good in all honesty throught the long run of the competition.

Mr_Simnock

Wonder who tried to 'influence' the voting? https://eurovision.tv/mediacentre/release/ebu-statement-voting-during-2022-shows - From this I suspect it was at least those who's results were read out that night not by the host countries - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-61463364

Kankurette

Tanxugueiras were fucking robbed. They should have been the Spanish finalist. (They're singing in Galician, if anyone's arsed.) They have hot male dancers in skirts and everything!
Did someone mention A1? They had a Norwegian guy in the group - he was the one I fancied - so it could have been him behind the Norwegian furries.

Mr_Simnock