Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,343
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:29:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical wankers' gear thread

Started by DJ Bob Hoskins, March 19, 2022, 02:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sherman Krank

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on June 27, 2022, 12:50:41 PMThat guitar looks VERY familiar!
I just put "that guitar that drummersaredeaf just bought" into google and it popped right up.

Quote from: Ferris on June 27, 2022, 01:01:07 PMREPORTED
To be fair I'd always thought Mustangs and Duo-Sonics were the same model just that they used one name in the 50/60's and the other when they brought it back in the 70/80's. It was only when they released both as part of the player series that I wondered what was going on and obviously shat brix when I saw it.

Ferris

Haha I'm kidding, they're very similar guitars. I think of the original run, the only difference was the Duo Sonic had the 3 saddle hard-tail bridge vs the mustang (which has the nice tremolo system)... and that's about it? I think the headstock just had "Fender" without the model name on the Duo Sonic.

The reissue player series ones have a slightly different angle on the two single coils so they're not parallel which I think would drive me slightly bonkers and they don't have the chrome control plate bit for the input jack vs the mustang. Once you're at the level of discussing input jack cover plates, you have to concede they're basically the same.

Still prefer my mustang though.

Ferris

Now I think about it, I think I may have some of that confused with Musicmasters. Those were so similar to the Mustang they routed the body out for the bridge pickup even though they only came with the single coil in the bridge.

DJ Bob Hoskins

I thought pretty much the same as Ferris in terms of how similar they are but this site explains it nicely. Turns out there's also a slight difference in the body shape, with the Mustang waist being more offset.

https://menga.net/fender-mustang-duo-sonic

Also I think @dummersaredeaf has the Player model with a humbucker that can be coil split with the aid of a push-pull knob. Which makes it seem very versatile.

Have no idea if the overall sound is as different to a Mustang as the above article makes out, having never played a Duo-Sonic.

Ferris

Well to add an extra layer of complexity, it looks like yer man is comparing the reissued player series Duo Sonic, but the older ones were more similar to the mustang in some ways (but not others).

It's all over the shop this.

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on June 27, 2022, 03:50:02 PMAlso I think @dummersaredeaf has the Player model with a humbucker that can be coil split with the aid of a push-pull knob. Which makes it seem very versatile.

Yeah I do, and yes it is.

Really digging it so far. It has a sound and identity like no guitar I've had before, though I do have a tendency to go for oddball instruments. I tried to conform by buying a CV Tele but I've never really got on with it. Doesn't play especially well, and sounds weak as fuck while weighing about 10lbs. It looks nice, but that's about it. I have a real habit of clinging on to guitars rather than selling, but I really don't see the point of this stupid cunt of a Tele anymore.

I can plug the Duo into a bit of spring reverb and immediately imagine I'm on a Lana del Rey record. The Tele just feels utterly characterless.

Ferris

I love the look of telecasters, but strangely enough the only "stock"/normal one I've had was similarly characterless, and was hopeless when exposed to any kind of feedback or gain at all. It just screeched at me until I turned it off.

I like my H-H telecaster but it's triggers broom, I think only the neck and switches are original at this point.

Sherman Krank

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on June 27, 2022, 03:50:02 PMI thought pretty much the same as Ferris in terms of how similar they are but this site explains it nicely. Turns out there's also a slight difference in the body shape, with the Mustang waist being more offset.

https://menga.net/fender-mustang-duo-sonic
Yeah the Mustang has a Jazzmaster/Jaguar type bottom contour and the Duo-Sonic has the strat/tele style.
Once noticed it can't be unnoticed.

What I've bought since the thread was last active.

Guitars
Kramer Baretta Special

£150 new from Thomann. Needed a setup and a few bits swapped out but a great guitar for the money. The pickup sounds fantastic.

Hamer XT Californian 2

Around £150 second hand. Had a few minor issues the seller didn't mention and I'm fairly sure there was a filter on the photos to make it look whiter than it actually now is but another good 'un. I'll be changing the electrics as it has mini pots (one of which is gubbed) and it's got one of the crappy Korean 3-ways toggles that Fender use in Squiers and Players, also the output jack has the wrong sized nut jammed on it.
Will probably also swap out the pickups as I have a couple of nice humbuckers that have been sitting in a drawer for years waiting for a suitable guitar and wiring it proper eighties style with two volumes and no tone.

Still finding excuses not to assemble the two thinlines.

Pedals
Tone City King of Blues
£40ish second hand.
A supposed clone of the Analogman King of Tone (current waiting time for a KoT is now 5 years). It's two overdrive pedals in one enclosure, one is definitely a tube screamer and the other is likely a Klon or OD1. Haven't used it much yet but it seems alright.

Donner ABY
£16.19 new from Donner's ebay shop.
Bought as a backup for my Fender ABY. The day after I bought it they went up to £26 and last time I looked they were £30 so bargain.

Digitech Trio
£50 second hand.
Play some notes or chords into it and it provides drum and bass guitar accompaniment.
Can only handle very basic stuff and seems to want to play everything back in 3/4 time.
Should have got one of the looper/drum machine pedals instead.

Behringer Slow Motion
£20 second hand
Uli's clone of the Slow Gear which Boss tried to sell for a few months in the early eighties then discontinued (as a result Slow Gears now go for hundreds of quid).
Slow Motions were also discontinued several years ago and I've seen them go for £100 so I should have no problem selling it on for a good profit.

One Control Yellow Butter Auto Quack
£25 second hand
Auto wah/Envelope Filter. They sell for around £130 new and this one looks brand new so see above.

Amps
I've almost pulled the trigger on a few amps which would be daft as I've still got about 16. Luckily 14 of them are mini heads so they don't take up that much space while they sit around not being used.

Ferris

Love the look of those Kramer/Jackson type super-strats, super pared back and all business. Look great in any colour as well which is fun.

Only reason I wouldn't get one is because I think I'd show meself up. If you've got one, you've gotta be dead good and I'm so out of practice these days it'd be driving a Ferrari to a tesco express.

Still not bought that p-90 jazzmaster from a page or two back but it's a matter of time, I can feel it.

Ferris

Submitted at offer of $1310 (850 quid) for the jazzmaster (listed for $1539/990 quid but it ain't selling at that price).

There were a few cheaper ones around that price (albeit in horrible colours) so I used that as the rationale for my lowball.

Cross your fingers lads.

TheGingerAlien

Any joy Ferris?

Krank is putting us to shame with that update

Ferris

Quote from: TheGingerAlien on July 17, 2022, 08:01:16 AMAny joy Ferris?

Krank is putting us to shame with that update

He's offered $1440 including delivery. I said this to my wife and she made a face, so I think I'll get in trouble if I go for it.

6 hours to decide, if she halfway goes along with it I'll go for it. Watch this space.

Ferris

Bought it.

Fuckin' YOLO, lads!

Absolutely delighted, don't tell the wife.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Congrats! It's the walnut model with the three pickups you posted before, right? Looks fantastic. We expect pics once it arrives!

Have you or any other posters played a Jazzmaster or Jaguar with an adjust-o-matic / Les Paul type bridge before? I haven't. Reason I ask is that some people seem to swear by 'em and others seem to think they suck, but I wonder if the difference is even particularly noticeable when playing.

Ferris

Yup, the walnut 3x P90 jazzmaster. I'll get in hot water for buying it but I'm going to say I got a good deal (which is true) and leave it there.

My MIJ Jaguar had the stock jag bridge and it was dog dirt.

Rizla

Ferris

Admitted to buying the guitar, zero divorce, got away with it.

Delighted. Next stop, p90 town.

Ferris

Try telling the wife that, she's acting like I just spent a thousand quid we don't have on something I don't need in the middle of a load of other expensive house-shit we have to pay for.

Honestly.

Ferris

(For the record though - I got a raise, a permanent and well-paid job for after I graduate, and a scholarship that covers all my fees for the rest of my degree and will pay out a thousand quid after I graduate. I'm not a total monster.)

Is that because she thinks three p90s is fully into paed territory?

You're not going to use the middle one and you know it.

Ferris

Won't use the middle positions either.

It's a pervert's rig, designed for perverts. I can't escape that.

PlanktonSideburns

3 p90s?!

Close the thread lads

badaids

Just to say that I bought a 1977 music master bass for £150 about about 20 years ago when no one wanted them. Still got it now, it's amazing.
Anyone on here ever got a better bargain than that?

I was very silly and paid ££££ for a Ric 360 last week - always wanted one. So nice and pristine Im terrified of even touching it. It was a lot of money but worth a lot more than I paid so couldn't walk away. 

When are we getting pics (and sound clips?!?!?!) of this pervy P90 thing then?

Related, I recently talked my mate out of a Black Beauty on the grounds that middle humbucker is a waste of everyone's time.

Ferris

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on July 19, 2022, 11:16:11 AMWhen are we getting pics (and sound clips?!?!?!) of this pervy P90 thing then?

It's shipping from Montréal, birthplace of Canadian perversion, so won't have it until next week.

QuoteRelated, I recently talked my mate out of a Black Beauty on the grounds that middle humbucker is a waste of everyone's time.

What kind of a wanker are you? If anything, you need 4 or 5 pickups to achieve peak-wankery. Three is the absolute minimum - this "wanker's delight" for reference:

Ferris

Quote from: badaids on July 19, 2022, 09:47:24 AMJust to say that I bought a 1977 music master bass for £150 about about 20 years ago when no one wanted them. Still got it now, it's amazing.

I was very silly and paid ££££ for a Ric 360 last week - always wanted one. So nice and pristine Im terrified of even touching it. It was a lot of money but worth a lot more than I paid so couldn't walk away. 

Nice bass guitar purchase! Is it short scale?

Also photos of the rickenbacker please, they're a solid wanker choice. Lovely things.

Quote from: Ferris on July 19, 2022, 12:28:56 PMWhat kind of a wanker are you? If anything, you need 4 or 5 pickups to achieve peak-wankery. Three is the absolute minimum - this "wanker's delight" for reference:

Gold hardware is degeneracy, right?

Thinking about it, I need new knobs on my guitar with electrical issues...

Spiteface

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on July 18, 2022, 11:54:01 PMP90s are best pickups. End of.

I at times pick up my Gordon Smith with a single p90, and have got so into the sound I have considered replacing the humbuckers in my Edwards LP with some humbucker-sized P90s.

Like, what I play isn't purely the reserve of Humbuckers, so P90s would give me the sounds I want with a bit more versatility.

I may have to research this more...

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: badaids on July 19, 2022, 09:47:24 AMJust to say that I bought a 1977 music master bass for £150 about about 20 years ago when no one wanted them. Still got it now, it's amazing.

Have a friend who owned a rickenbacker bass and a Harley Davidson, used to drive round with the rick slung over his back

I asked him, in a case right?

And he said why would you put a rickenbacker in a case? With a tone of genuine puzzlement