Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:06:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

2point4children

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 22, 2022, 02:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Just been watching the first episode of this sitcom this week and while it is an interesting look at the world of the nineties, it comes across as lazy, cliched and unfunny. Aside from the teacher dressed up, I didn't find a single minute amusing.

I'm being unfair judging it on one episode, but does it actually become funny or is it always some kind of nineties My Family?

Any 2point4children fans on here? Or would you give it 2point4 out of 10?

thr0b

The sitcom is tremendous, however the first series is almost entirely unlike the rest of it.

Look at it a bit like One Foot In The Grave - which it is associated by writers with - the first series sets a template, but the show isn't quite "there" yet.

By the time Jenny is recast, it's a much, much better show.

The Ombudsman

Not thought about this programme for years. Used to enjoy it when I was younger but I can't recall anything about it except for I thought the show ended when the dad actor died in real life.

somersetchris

Both of the kids have siblings who are also actors, which made it look like they were all over 90's TV. John Pickard (David), was in Grange Hill and is the brother of Nick Pickard, who is Tony in Hollyoaks. Clare Buckfield (Jenny) was also in Grange Hill, and is the identical twin of Julie Buckfield, who was Julie in Hollyoaks. In fact I think Tony and Julie might have been boyfriend and girlfriend but I'm not sure. Was there a very small pool of child actors in the 90's?

somersetchris

Quote from: The Ombudsman on March 22, 2022, 03:30:15 PMNot thought about this programme for years. Used to enjoy it when I was younger but I can't recall anything about it except for I thought the show ended when the dad actor died in real life.

Today I learned that not only is Gary Olsen dead, but he died over 20 years ago.

JesusAndYourBush

I liked the series at the time, not rewatched any since though so don't know how it holds up.

About 10ish years ago while looking at some photos from 1930's Radio Normandie I noticed the uncanny resemblance between Gary Olsen and "Oncle Roland".

neveragain

If you like surreal and dark plotting in an ostensibly mainstream family sitcom then you would do well to stick with it. Lots of nice moments (the odder very much the better). Although I would still only rate it around a 7.4, the more trad sitcom stuff and some shonky acting (not Olsen, who's brilliant) let it down at times.

purlieu

The first series is definitely Andrew Marshall finding his feet. There are some good moments (the first episode is a particularly bad example), but it's not anything memorable in its own right. It generally continues to improve up to the fourth and fifth series, the sixth is a bit of a step down, the seventh is a bit better again, and the eighth past its best.

The first series is very much Bill's show, the main format being she's trying to balance every aspect of being a mother in an incredibly stressful and ungrateful family. Other than the mysterious motorcyclist, it's pretty much typical family sitcom fare for the most part. It generally gets weirder - and occasionally angrier - as it goes along, with some really strange and surprising scenes and episodes later on
Spoiler alert
such as a Star Trek themed funeral, Ben being kidnapped and forced to enact an episode of The Prisoner, an imaginary dog that inexplicably becomes real, an inflatable pope, a cryogenically frozen body stored in the living room, a life size replica of Lady Penelope's Rolls Royce and the family having to repeat a certain day step-by-step every Saturday.
[close]
It would also give One Foot in the Grave a run for its money in terms of pets that are accidentally killed.

It's not afraid to go into more dramatic and emotional stories from time to time either. It's not quite OFITG level, but it's up there with Brittas in terms of '90s sitcoms that were a lot weirder and darker than their timeslot and reputations would suggest.

neveragain

Yeah, I'd say One Foot and Brittas are much more successful but it certainly occupies the same zone (and remains pleasantly watchable).

If memory serves, there's a real-time episode where they're all sat down to watch the lottery and they win at the end. I found that genuinely surprising at the time as most British sitcoms would go for the opposite outcome.

petril

Quote from: somersetchris on March 22, 2022, 03:54:14 PMBoth of the kids have siblings who are also actors, which made it look like they were all over 90's TV. John Pickard (David), was in Grange Hill and is the brother of Nick Pickard, who is Tony in Hollyoaks. Clare Buckfield (Jenny) was also in Grange Hill, and is the identical twin of Julie Buckfield, who was Julie in Hollyoaks. In fact I think Tony and Julie might have been boyfriend and girlfriend but I'm not sure. Was there a very small pool of child actors in the 90's?

there was that spiky haired kid from My Parents Are Aliens who seemed to get every role going for a bit... and 2point4 at some point

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: somersetchris on March 22, 2022, 03:54:14 PMBoth of the kids have siblings who are also actors, which made it look like they were all over 90's TV. John Pickard (David), was in Grange Hill and is the brother of Nick Pickard, who is Tony in Hollyoaks. Clare Buckfield (Jenny) was also in Grange Hill, and is the identical twin of Julie Buckfield, who was Julie in Hollyoaks. In fact I think Tony and Julie might have been boyfriend and girlfriend but I'm not sure. Was there a very small pool of child actors in the 90's?

Picard was in Hollyoaks as Tony's brother in the 2000s, he also starred in the late-90's UK Hip Hop film Rage alongside Fraser Ayres (Clint from The Smoking Room).

idunnosomename

Quote from: somersetchris on March 22, 2022, 03:55:38 PMToday I learned that not only is Gary Olsen dead, but he died over 20 years ago.
yeah it's really sad, don't think it's really common knowledge. I think it was only a few years ago too I found out. maybe because he emigrated to Australia it wasn't as widely reported as it could have been?

Bigfella

Watched some of it at the time.  Remember that it could get weird at times, also a running gag about the wife's pal being man-mad.  I wrongly remembered the young girl actress as Danny Dyer's wife in Eastenders.

The Ombudsman

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 22, 2022, 10:29:04 PMyeah it's really sad, don't think it's really common knowledge. I think it was only a few years ago too I found out. maybe because he emigrated to Australia it wasn't as widely reported as it could have been?

Well I hope I didn't drop a bombshell about his death. I do remember it from the time but I guess it was easier to miss these things decades ago.

I'm going to have to look for it now seeing the posts above have given me and itch to rewatch.

thr0b

Quote from: Bigfella on March 23, 2022, 05:01:34 AMWatched some of it at the time.  Remember that it could get weird at times, also a running gag about the wife's pal being man-mad.  I wrongly remembered the young girl actress as Danny Dyer's wife in Eastenders.

Danny Dyer's wife in Eastenders was of course the girl in The Upper Hand.

Fambo Number Mive

Watched an episode from the second series but still can't get into it. Perhaps it is just not for me. Aside from Outnumbered, not a big fan of sitcoms set around a family with children.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 22, 2022, 10:29:04 PMyeah it's really sad, don't think it's really common knowledge. I think it was only a few years ago too I found out. maybe because he emigrated to Australia it wasn't as widely reported as it could have been?

No, both the move and Olsen's passing was widely reported. There was a lot of shock about the latter as his health issues weren't in the public domain, IIRC and obviously was pretty young.

purlieu

I remember him dying and being really disappointed that it meant the end of 2point4 Children.

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 23, 2022, 09:49:02 AMWatched an episode from the second series but still can't get into it. Perhaps it is just not for me. Aside from Outnumbered, not a big fan of sitcoms set around a family with children.
If you can track these down, they might be a better introduction:
S5E5 Seven Dials
S7E2 When Saturday Comes
S4E3 Fortuosity
S3E5 Beam Me Up, Scotty
S6E4 The Trouble With Harry

They're all pretty different to the earlier ones, possibly helped by the kids being older too. If you don't like them then it's definitely not a show for you.

petril

which one has the goldfish gag? the one where Gary Olsen comes on after the credits to show how they didn't really kill a goldfish

The Ombudsman

Where are you all watching this?

Ignatius_S

Quote from: petril on March 23, 2022, 11:26:53 AMwhich one has the goldfish gag? the one where Gary Olsen comes on after the credits to show how they didn't really kill a goldfish

Badger's Bend.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: The Ombudsman on March 23, 2022, 12:55:00 PMWhere are you all watching this?

Had a look to see if it's on Gold, as it's been shown on there but see it's on iPlayer.

The Ombudsman

Quote from: Ignatius_S on March 23, 2022, 01:21:13 PMHad a look to see if it's on Gold, as it's been shown on there but see it's on iPlayer.

Great, I'll have a rewatch too. Keen to see how it holds up today.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: The Ombudsman on March 23, 2022, 01:40:19 PMGreat, I'll have a rewatch too. Keen to see how it holds up today.

Snap. A little while ago, I caught a little of a couple of episodes when Gold was showing it - really made me want to watch it again.

Pete23

I think it's all on Britbox as well

HamishMacbeth

Rewatched it a few years ago and found it inconsistent but really worth it for the times when it does land. Takes a while to settle into, but earns points with me right at the start for the shot of Bill running in the bin bags.

dothestrand

Quote from: thr0b on March 23, 2022, 09:44:34 AMDanny Dyer's wife in Eastenders was of course the girl in The Upper Hand.

I remember one gag from The Upper Hand. The boy is filling out some form or other, and one of the questions is 'sex' and he writes 'yes please'.

dothestrand

2.4 was set in Chiswick. I think most BBC sitcoms of the time were set in West/Northwest London, wherever was near to White City, I guess. My Hero was Northolt, I think. May to December might've been Pinner. Bottom was Hammersmith.

Was Belinda Lang trying to be a working-class mum in this? She's clearly plummy accented IRL.

The Ombudsman

I watched 6 episodes last night and thought it held up reasonably well. Was interesting to see a glimpse of life in the early 90s and seeing the out and about shots brought back some memories.

Overall thought it held up reasonably well. The good bits made up for the duller parts. I think perhaps the main enjoyment was as I say, seeing what life looked like in the 90s. Silly things like the Sainsburys shopping bags, cars, talk of the recession, attitudes to early laddette (sort of) culture. I'll continue to watch the rest of this blast from the past.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

" Roseanne" rip off with added pointless dead motorbiker weirdness.Haven for former " Grange Hill" cast members ( at least 3 in the cast) when " Eastenders" was full.