Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,482
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:06:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Travel Man - Joe Lycett

Started by MigraineBoy, March 24, 2022, 10:49:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

I'm always disappointed by Lycett's consumer affairs show, because he gets you really fucking angry about some horrible rich cunts fucking over ordinary people, and then just when you really want to see him stick it to them in a satisfying way, he always goes '...so me and Sara Pascoe did a half-arsed parody song across the road from their office and nobody came out and then we went home, and nothing has changed'.

I agree with chutnut on not quite getting the Ayoade hate though. I never felt like he was being sneery on Travel Man, just dry and aloof. I think even though he's obviously repeating information the producers have given him, he was believable in being this fount of knowledge about the places they went, a pragmatic and unsentimental tour guide. I'm intrigued to see what Lycett's version is like, I can't imagine he'll attempt the same detatched persona.

MigraineBoy

Lycett's 2nd ep is Aisling Bea in Split ... bit of a cheat seeing as she already had a freebie holiday with Ayoade.

imitationleather

Not even a freebie because they're paid to go the fucks

Autopsy Turvey

I'm in two minds, much of his material is pretty standard but the big end reveal of his new live show might strike some of you progressive types as quite a touching and worthwhile escapade. I'm a fan of his title puns, although 'More More More, How Do You Lycett? How Do You Lycett?' is a bit diminishing returnsy. Looking forward to him having to bust out 'Hvis Lycett Tar Oss'.

MigraineBoy

S11 starts in January, Sarah Millican is the 1st ep.

Clownbaby

I watched the Joe Lycett's Got Your Back Christmas Special that covered all that Beckham drama and had such a massive attack of Lycett fatigue. I've never been massively keen on the way he does his consumer-activism. I absolutely get why he does it, but there's something oddly pathetic about a lot of the stunts he ends up doing. I actually end up thinking more about how irritated the fed-up employees of Paperchase or whatever must be, seeing a bunch of rainbow dungaree'd, belligerent twats picketing and shouting outside while they're trying to serve customers who can't hear them. I'm on his side, or the side of the people he's trying to help, and yet they're annoying me. I should be going "yeees, come on, stick it to the cunts!" But I'm oddly not.

As plenty other people have said, I'm sick to death of the weirdly cynical churning out of vaguely smug shite from the same comedians over and over. I feel like the more they steer themselves through the grind of panel shows and then whimsical Taskmaster ripoff gameshows, and then replacing someone-else-presenting-jobs, the more their personalities and voices and presence fuse together. They're essentially all the same person now. I bet I'll pop on Lycett Travel Man one day and barely notice Richard Ayoade is gone.

So I guess I'm fine with Joe Lycett presenting Travel Man. Go for it lad

jobotic

That shit about Paperchase was pitiful. We'll explain the situation, how the CEO is the same person but they're now owned by some private equity cunts and have used a loophole to avoid paying suppliers. Then act the twat outside a shop and stick a naked bloke in for some poor shop assistant to deal with.

Like if Mark Thomas followed a cleaner round BAE offices demanding answers to his questions about arming despots.

Clownbaby

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on March 24, 2022, 08:33:58 PMYep, fucks me off no end, the stuff he used to do on 8 out of 10 Cats was fucking dire, emailing customer services about paying to use a toilet and being all hilarious. I remember there was one where he was trying to sell something stupid on ebay and someone tried to join in on the joke and he lost it, straight up telling the the bloke to fuck off. The joke was him to laugh at others, not for those being laughed at to join in too. Sneering little prick.

Ew

Clownbaby

Quote from: jobotic on December 18, 2022, 07:36:18 PMThat shit about Paperchase was pitiful. We'll explain the situation, how the CEO is the same person but they're now owned by some private equity cunts and have used a loophole to avoid paying suppliers. Then act the twat outside a shop and stick a naked bloke in for some poor shop assistant to deal with.

Like if Mark Thomas followed a cleaner round BAE offices demanding answers to his questions about arming despots.

When he said the shop assistant woman "seemed nice enough", that really irked me. Yeah, she was just trying to get on with her day. Wrong target. Gave me the impression that he'd be the type of person to blame a till assistant for something being out of stock and give them a hard time. I don't like that side of him.

I did however really like him in Taskmaster. He was one of my favourite contestants on that. And I liked him in Sewing Bee. He's a Jekyll and Hyde persona for me. Camp, arty Julian Clary-esque waspish comedian? Nice. Sneering and clumsy consumer nitpicking? Cunt. Honestly just remove him from the Got Your Back stuff and he's alright. It's a weird dissonance though because I'm never sure which Joe Lycett I'm gonna get when he pops up.

jobotic