Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:24:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Not Going Out (Series 12)

Started by The Lurker, March 25, 2022, 04:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lurker

Not seen any adverts or promotion for it so a quick heads up that it starts tonight, BBC One 9:30pm. Just seen it on the planner and assumed it was a repeat...

Be the first series without Bobby Ball too

Malcy

Not seen any promotion either but know the first ep is Bobby Ball related. Nice one cheers!

purlieu

Just a quick moment to remember that series four of this only existed because of a fan petition after the BBC cancelled it. Strange how long it's been on now.

Haven't actually seen any since the fifth series, been meaning to catch up for ages. Maybe this will be the kick I need.

neveragain

That episode was over before I knew it. Ending was a bit underwhelming (and the painting could have been more horrific) but lots of nice bits leading up, I particularly enjoyed Bobby Ball peeping out from behind the bushes. Wossname's parents both solid.

Glad to have it back.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Surprised it's only series 12, thought it'd be at least series 15 by now.

Is sole surviving original member of this enduring sit com  Lee Mack going for yet another permutation of the format? Has he bravely decided to kill off all his fucking children from the show, as he's clearly been itching to do for the last two series? If so, has he managed to bravely write an episode which involves all of him and Lucy's offspring dying which can also wring laffs from such a premise? Has he also thought " fuck it", and also wrote a sub-plot into that self- same episode involving Toby killing his wife, who he obviously hates? Has he also bravely brought Andrew Fucking Collins back into the fold as co- scriptwriter?...no, that would be going too far. Anyways, If he *has* bravely written such an episode, I'd happily watch it. If not, not too sure.

The Lurker

Back to form yesterday after a poor first episode. Nice product placement for Morrison's too

neveragain

Does it still count as product placement if you follow it with a joke at Morrisons' expense?

olliebean

No-such-thing-as-bad-publicity has taken a bit of a hit in recent times, but probably still applies in this case.

The Lurker

I'm guessing that's why the BBC allowed their logo to be shown?

olliebean

Hang on, it was Waitrose, wasn't it? So I guess the product placement didn't work too well after all.

neveragain

No, Lee and Lucy went to Waitrose but the Morrisons bag was shown before that.

olliebean

So it was. Didn't notice that at all, even with the joke. I think I am immune to product placement.

Utter Shit

Joe Wilkinson was brilliant on yesterday's episode, although the cringe level almost got too much for me a couple of times with the horribly long silences,

bushwick

I enjoy singing my own version of the theme tune, in a kind of Louis Armstrong Wonderful World gruff style:

"NOT GOING OUT, NOT GOING IN
NOT GOING OUT, NOT GOING IN
NOT GOING OUT IS THE SHOW
LEE MACK IS A BASIC BRO
NOT GOING OUT IS THE SCENE
BROWN LOAFERS, AND BOOTCUT JEANS"

A nice untucked colourful shirt, some bootcuts and some Base Carnousties, perfect attire for making relentless hilarious wisecracks.

neveragain

Quote from: Utter Shit on April 09, 2022, 07:44:43 AMJoe Wilkinson was brilliant on yesterday's episode, although the cringe level almost got too much for me a couple of times with the horribly long silences,

I'm glad you enjoyed it, I thought it was the worst episode so far. And I'm not averse to cringe comedy or the episode of Father Ted with the silent boring priest. This didn't grab me though, despite some nice lines about slaughterhouses.

neveragain

Rear Window episode much better! Most enjoyable. I have some minor issues with the dialogue these days (jokes - though funny - often too signposted, and it's not as snappy as it could be) but it's just a very likeable show.

Utter Shit

I thought Whatshisname Dan Miller was great as the neighbour. Those angry faces into the telescope, fucking hell.

neveragain

12 Angry Men episode was a bit disappointing. Lots of nice lines and I liked the car plot but the other characters, particularly Bigoted Woman and Shifty Cockney Youth (although I liked his voice) were too broad and stereotypical. The surprising return of the Community Support Officer was fine and her delivery is strong, she's clearly being built up as the new Katy Wix. Which is a bit of a shame as it would be nice to see the old one.

Also, the audience need to calm the fuck down. They were very annoying and distracting. Maybe it's that post-lockdown lack of etiquette there's a thread about.

neveragain

Oh, and I enjoyed Phone Lady's "If you vote twice, your vote may not be counted but you will still be charged at the standard network rate."

Quote from: neveragain on April 23, 2022, 10:31:22 AMAlso, the audience need to calm the fuck down. They were very annoying and distracting.

The clapping after every third joke,  distracting is the word.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I like how the last episode of this series was clearly so crap that absolutely no one could be arsed to comment on it.

There's also the issue of the kids still being treated like ...well..kids ( one episode of this series involved Anna the neighbour dropping off some DIY Play Doh (?) for them ), when they're all clearly in their early teens by now, one of 'ems almost as tall as the lad Lee himself.

Malcy

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on May 03, 2022, 10:17:44 PMI like how the last episode of this series was clearly so crap that absolutely no one could be arsed to comment on it.

No I loved it. I just didn't get around to watching it until late last night. How's your latest scouse bird thread getting on?

Whole series flew by. Was surprised this weeks was the last. Is there still 2 series of this commissioned or just this recently aired one and the next?

The way it's going it will probably end up as the third longest aired sitcom behind Last Of The Summer Eine and Chucklevision.

Paul Chuckle is well overdue a part in this as well. I can just see it working so well.

Jeffrey never disappoints. His absolute spot on interpretation of events leading to "yeah how did you know" then stating he was the most sane of them all the collapsing was great.

Bobby Ball was missed in this one. First ep this series that I thought he would have excelled in. But that's a testament to him and his character. His would be dialogue al ost jumps out at you in response to other character's comments even though he isn't here to speak them.

Still going strong if not a bit varied. Looking forward to its return(Xmas?).

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I still make a valid point about how the "kids" are treated in this show ( when they * do* appear in the show, which, outside of the opening titles isnae very often at all, It's the one playing the daughter what gets the most work), you've got to give me that much.

Also catapulting the show 8 years into the future after the "kids" had been born was an odd thing to do.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Fucked up on the posting, ignore ( story of me CaB life, eh, Readers?)

neveragain

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on May 03, 2022, 10:17:44 PMNo I loved it. I just didn't get around to watching it until late last night.

I thought the last episode was great (best of this series), very nicely written and lovely setting. Also, I don't care about the kids, it's not their show.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Other " Not Going Out" things:

* In one episode in a previous series, Lucy's mum confides in Lee that her top husband ( Lucy's dad) is 20 years older than her. This would make Geoffrey very old indeed now, at least 90 , and clearly far too old and frail to be joining Lee and Lucy and their offspring who are going to become emotionally stunted later on in life, still being shunted off to bed at 8:00 in the evening and having a dressing up box despite the eldest one being 15 or something, he's certainly too old to be messing about camping in the middle of the woods with 'em.

* I've mentioned this before, but it's also odd how Lucy's brother and Lee's best fucking mate Tim is never ever mentioned by anyone, doesn't even visit the family at Christmas or owt, and his former girlfriend who seemed to previously hang out with them all the time, even going away for a birrova mini break with em on one occasion, is also similarly persona non grata with 'em nowadays.

* In the camping episode, why was Lucy's mum behaving so weirdly? Anna mentioned it to Lucy ( abusing anti - depressants). It was never explained.

* The best episode of the series was the " Front Window" one, I reckon. Good, contrived plot, and It's always funny when Lucy's delivering those " Lee, you annoying cunt! " lines to yer man. Also featuring Tony Gardener, and you can't go wrong with a bit of Tony Gardener.

* I also liked the " Jury" one featuring Mrs. McCluskey and Her Who Played Barbara Windsor In That Biopic ( and Lee's ex- missus in " Semi- Detatched"), it reminded me of an episode of the TV series Hancock did after he'd finally ditched everyone including Sid James. What was going on with the clappy interventions of the seemingly easily pleased audience though?

* Lee Mack is a decent enough comedy performer, although there are times when you expect Eric Morecambe's ghost to wander onto the set looking irked and saying " do you mind, mate?" to him.

* I've actually seen every episode of all the serieses of this show! Where's Megan Dodds now?