Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:14:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wheesht 17: Alt-right, Alt-right, Glinner's Nearly Alt-Right (Deep Deep Down)

Started by Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse, March 28, 2022, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

Dr Rock

Quote from: DreadedScotsman on April 22, 2022, 06:06:30 PMIt's generally social transition maybe followed by puberty blockers if they're lucky. But any form of affirmation is wrong according to the transphobes. Too young to get puberty blockers so ban them but if they've been through the puberty not of their gender then they can't possibly be a "true" woman/man and mustn't be allowed into female/male spaces. So they may claim they don't want to get rid of trans people but they just want to make it impossible to be trans.

Yeah. It borders on genocide.

Ferris

Quote from: BennyHedgehog on April 22, 2022, 05:53:18 PMHis Josie antipathy goes back to hbomberguy's donkey Kong stream

Rallying around the institution he's trying to destroy is a vicious attack.

Ah so nothing recent - he's just remembered her largely for no reason and decided to have another pop at her because that's how you do feminism. Got it.

Again, for the record, I think she's great and have done for ages and whatever you think about her (correct) opinions, she is such an obviously and undeniably nice person that singling her out for abuse could make one look a bit loco in the coco.

Elfking

I bet they're all delighted by this. Never mind all the mental, emotional and physical harm that will come out of it.

It's interesting that whilst the rhetoric against trans people here is heinous the actual results have been negligible in terms of legislation, meanwhile in America they have been going straight for the throat. I know this is only one state but there are many other states passing similar legislation.

Kankurette

Speaking of 'grooming', this whole Family Sex Show thing - who was hosting the petition? Some conservative Christian group?

Twit 2

I wonder if I'll start noticing anti-trans stickers and stuff on the streets near his flat.

Quote from: Kankurette on April 22, 2022, 07:21:43 PMSpeaking of 'grooming', this whole Family Sex Show thing - who was hosting the petition? Some conservative Christian group?

Yes.

JK Rowling and Ceri Black's favourite anti-abortion, anti-gay marriage, anti-gay parents mate Caroline Farrow's CitizenGO

https://citizengo.org/en-gb/fm/207302-scrap-family-sex-show

Kankurette

king_tubby

Quote from: Ferris on April 22, 2022, 07:07:07 PMAh so nothing recent - he's just remembered her largely for no reason and decided to have another pop at her because that's how you do feminism. Got it.

No, it's cos of this: https://twitter.com/JosieLong/status/1516515450380816391 after seeing Duffield following LibsofTikTok

QuoteRosie duffield what in the living fuck pal?

I was amused to see the LibsofTikTok claiming their house was egged by leftist scum using a picture lifted from a Google search for 'egged house'.

phantom_power

Long is always popping up with the odd pro-trans, anti-TERF Tweet so she will always be at the forefront of his ire. That is because she is not afraid to state what she believes in.

All the Rowlings and Stanislands mithering about getting abuse on Twitter reminded me of Marian Keyes on the Adam Buxton podcast. She said that Twitter is a sewer but you can get through it OK if you don't get involved in any potentially contentious discussions, lest you get a death threat. That seems to be the best way to handle it, to see that all the shit and cowards on earth are on that platform and so of course you will get flak when you poke your head above the parapet, whichever side you are on. It is sad that this is true but to blame any particular side or faction when it is the platform that is the problem is just trying to elicit sympathy and provoke hatred of the other side.

somersetchris

Quote from: phantom_power on April 22, 2022, 07:58:20 PMAll the Rowlings and Stanislands mithering about getting abuse on Twitter reminded me of Marian Keyes on the Adam Buxton podcast. She said that Twitter is a sewer but you can get through it OK if you don't get involved in any potentially contentious discussions, lest you get a death threat.

Bit victim blamey innit. Let's not deal with those who harass and bully others on Twitter, let's ask people not to say anything which might get them harassed. But for some people, that will be just existing. Hey Katy Montgomerie, your existence is a bit contentious so could you please just not say anything about it on Twitter?

somersetchris

Quote from: Elfking on April 22, 2022, 07:14:44 PM
I know this is only one state but there are many other states passing similar legislation.

Texas have already done it, haven't they? Haven't they just ruled the existence of transgender children to be basically child abuse, forcing people to leave the state?

And if Florida and Texas have done it, you can absolutely bet that the likes of Alabama, Kentucky and Tennessee will do it as well. Surprised they haven't already, alhtough maybe they don't realise that trans people exist.

somersetchris

Made the mistake of looking this up, and it's grim. A huge number of US states pushing through anti-trans legislation. It is so bizarre that there are federal anti-discrimination laws and the states get to say 'nah'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/lgbt-laws-transgender-sports-ban-b2047713.html

mtpromises

Quote from: somersetchris on April 22, 2022, 09:06:02 PMMade the mistake of looking this up, and it's grim. A huge number of US states pushing through anti-trans legislation. It is so bizarre that there are federal anti-discrimination laws and the states get to say 'nah'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/lgbt-laws-transgender-sports-ban-b2047713.html
Actually this isn't quite true.  The Bostock v. Clayton County ruling in 2020 is almost 2 years old now, but in court terms, it's still a very fresh ruling.  Basically Title VII of the Civil Rights Act was ruled to cover self ID under sex discrimination. 

It's generally believed that this will also extend to Title IX, which made schools fund female sports, since the wording is very similar.  The drawback is Title IX is about Federal funding and I think is mainly aimed at colleges. 

All lower circuit courts look to Supreme Court rulings for precedence, so even with no new laws, there is some protection for trans people Federally.  We'll have to wait another few years to see how these new laws stand up to legal challenges.

wrec

Quote from: phantom_power on April 22, 2022, 07:58:20 PMIt is sad that this is true but to blame any particular side or faction when it is the platform that is the problem is just trying to elicit sympathy and provoke hatred of the other side.

Completely disagree, both sides are not equivalent. Of course there is shitty behaviour from some pro-trans people as there is in any faction but anger is justified and vital. Having zero tolerance for bigotry is entirely reasonable. The platform might encourage particular behaviour but people are still entirely responsible for their own behaviour.

Sadly it's not hard to believe that any prominent woman is getting abuse on Twitter, but it's significant the supposed death threats Rowling has shown publicly were nothing of the sort.

Kankurette

Mister Six

wrec

FalknerHinton

Is there really any doubt that Graham wrote that "Anonymous" article? It has this line in it:

QuoteYou couldn't question them, though, without being told to fuck off, shut up, sit down.

He's playing the old hits.

Cold Meat Platter

Josie Long? Scum
At least Ian Huntley knew what a woman was.
John Ronson? Your wife is ashamed of your misogyny and secretly wishes you harm.
Yeah even Vladimir Putin probably knows you put trousers on your legs rather than in your eyes he'd be able to tell you Eddie Izzard doesn't have the same genitals as your mother.
Stewart Lee (or Stewrat as I call him)? Why have you deliberately chosen to publicly hate women you traitorous swine?

Even Joseph Mengele would be able to easily answer a question about what a woman was.

phantom_power

Quote from: wrec on April 22, 2022, 10:18:41 PMCompletely disagree, both sides are not equivalent. Of course there is shitty behaviour from some pro-trans people as there is in any faction but anger is justified and vital. Having zero tolerance for bigotry is entirely reasonable. The platform might encourage particular behaviour but people are still entirely responsible for their own behaviour.

I'm not saying both sides are equivalent. I am saying that on Twitter any discussion is likely to involve arseholes who can only communicate with insults and threats due to the nature of the platform. Of course in this instance there is a right side and a wrong side but that doesn't really matter in terms of this sort of abuse because you don't actually know which side the abuse is coming from anyway. It could be someone pretending to have one sort of opinion to stoke up hate or just someone with the "right" opinion who is an awful person.

Basically to claim one side of an ideological discussion is bad because you have received threats or whatever is either a misunderstanding of the platform or a deliberate ploy to garner sympathy. It has nothing to do with the ideologies being discussed

JaDanketies

I saw famed terf Sonia Sodha was on HIGNFY. I remember one day when it felt like the kind of show that would've at least mildly criticised her in a humorous way. I didn't stick around to watch her being chummy with everyone though.

markburgle

Quote from: wrec on April 23, 2022, 12:10:50 AMNonexistent "community" = there's no such thing as society

I dunno, I can see where he's coming from there. I imagine one annoying aspect of being gay or in any marginalised group is dealing with clumsy try-hard behaviour of the "Oh you're gay? You should meet Jim - he's gay too!" variety. People acting like that's your whole personality

greencalx

Quote from: JaDanketies on April 23, 2022, 08:34:08 AMI saw famed terf Sonia Sodha was on HIGNFY. I remember one day when it felt like the kind of show that would've at least mildly criticised her in a humorous way. I didn't stick around to watch her being chummy with everyone though.

Sonia didn't do any terfing on the show, at least none that I was aware of. Mel Giedroyc seemed to be a big fan though... but at the same time it also seemed she'd been on the juice.

greencalx

The significance was lost on me. Is this a widely known thing?

Kankurette

I guess all those Liverpool fans bringing inflatable T-Rexes to the derby tomorrow are all massive TERFs too.

And no, it's only a thing in hardcore TERF circles.