Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:44:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wheesht 17: Alt-right, Alt-right, Glinner's Nearly Alt-Right (Deep Deep Down)

Started by Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse, March 28, 2022, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elfking

It doesn't even make sense at this point when you look at what the Labour Party has said regarding trans people. Literally just finding any excuse to say "Oh, I don't want to vote Tory but..."

The way they talk you would think Starmer is showing up in the Commons with a trans flag painted on his face.

The Late Satoru Iwata

Quote from: FalknerHinton on April 25, 2022, 01:25:42 PMJust wait for the earthquake when Musk buys twitter and doesn't give BC his account back.
This is the only excitement I'm getting from the Musk takeover, the inevitability of this not happening.

pigamus

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on April 25, 2022, 11:12:04 PMBut I thought the Tories knew what a woman was!?

Given how hard they're staring up Angela Rayner's flue I'm not surprised

Elfking

Quote from: pigamus on April 26, 2022, 01:49:33 AMGiven how hard they're staring up Angela Rayner's flue I'm not surprised

That's the other part of it isn't it... Whilst so obsessed with trans people these "the Tories treat women right" are ignoring the fact that Raynor this week was attacked for sitting on the front bench. Apparently her womanly charms were distracting for the Tories. Then their pathetic condemnations which at least two of them copy/pasted.

No one who is a feminist can vote Tory. No transphobe can be a feminist either for that matter.

Zetetic

Not sure that "a woman is anything that can sexually arouse the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom" is a definition that's ultimately going to please anyone.

jobotic

The implication was that no red blooded male could concentrate while a woman has her legs visible and that's down to her. Very taliban. And we already know that they approve of those lads.

pigamus

Quote from: Zetetic on April 26, 2022, 07:14:41 AMNot sure that "a woman is anything that can sexually arouse the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom" is a definition that's ultimately going to please anyone.

Well the definition of something really dirty in law used to be anything that gave the Lord Chief Justice the horn, or so John Mortimer used to say anyway

pigamus

Quote from: jobotic on April 26, 2022, 07:27:48 AMThe implication was that no red blooded male could concentrate while a woman has her legs visible and that's down to her. Very taliban. And we already know that they approve of those lads.

Yeah but she's crossing and uncrossing them! She's giving us all a glimpse of her Herbert Morrison!

phantom_power

"they are the only political party that can tell me what a woman is..........that conforms to my very strict definition that leaves a section of women out for no reason other than bigotry"

The Culture Bunker

Something that worries me is that a lot of this anti-trans narrative is slowly seeping through into a wider audience. Doesn't seem that long ago that you barely heard anything about trans people - they were just out there living their lives. Now, on other forums, I'm seeing (on a thread about Musk buying Twitter) posts like "free speech is being able to say a woman doesn't have a penis and not losing your job".

Am I being over-dramatic by thinking some very sinister people have decided this is a section of society that can be thrown on the culture war fire while they get on with achieving their goals?

JaDanketies

I would agree that the right likes to separate the socially conservative and socially liberal so it can continue with a divisive fiscal conservatism while everyone is looking the other way.

Bojo for instance is at his heart a lasseiz-faire libertarian who is skeptical about drug laws and even when he compared gay marriage to bestiality he preceded it by saying he doesn't see why gay people can't get married. In fact when I read the book I understood it as meaning he sees no reason why a human can't marry any object or multiples thereof.

I doubt he sincerely thinks that trans people can't do whatever they like without hurting anyone else and he definitely isn't interested in radfem criticism of trans rights. But he's Machiavellian more than a libertarian and he's pro-Tory party more than anything. So he'd quite happily have a social liberalism bonfire if it'd support the Tory party and his own ambitions, even if he shags anything that walks and snorts anything that doesn't

The Culture Bunker

Johnson himself wasn't really in my thinking when I wrote that post - he's far too lazy and disinterested in things beyond himself to push such an agenda. He'll have been presented with the idea and gone along with it, much like the stuff with Rayner/Mail on Sunday - only that one blew up in his face and he had to backfire sharpish. The anti-Trans stuff seems to be working much more effectively in shaping public thought.

keir

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on April 26, 2022, 10:07:41 AMSomething that worries me is that a lot of this anti-trans narrative is slowly seeping through into a wider audience. Doesn't seem that long ago that you barely heard anything about trans people - they were just out there living their lives. Now, on other forums, I'm seeing (on a thread about Musk buying Twitter) posts like "free speech is being able to say a woman doesn't have a penis and not losing your job".

Am I being over-dramatic by thinking some very sinister people have decided this is a section of society that can be thrown on the culture war fire while they get on with achieving their goals?

No, I don't think you are

phantom_power

Part of the problem is that they are quite good at framing tweets as seemingly obvious and stuff that any reasonable person couldn't possibly disagree with unless they know the back-story. I am sure a lot of people who like and retweet think they are actually defending women against predatory men rather than being transphobic shit-heels.

Kankurette

Oh yay, more men telling us silly little handmaidens how to do feminism. Fuck off, Jonny and Craig. I see you.
Quote from: The Culture Bunker on April 26, 2022, 10:07:41 AMSomething that worries me is that a lot of this anti-trans narrative is slowly seeping through into a wider audience. Doesn't seem that long ago that you barely heard anything about trans people - they were just out there living their lives. Now, on other forums, I'm seeing (on a thread about Musk buying Twitter) posts like "free speech is being able to say a woman doesn't have a penis and not losing your job".

I saw the same thing on a Mumsnet thread on the same subject. "Now they're not going to ban people for saying what a woman is." Apart from anything else, no, Twitter never autobanned people for saying 'you can't have a dick and be a woman'. The algorithm doesn't work like that. It only detects swear words (it told me off earlier for using the word 'fuck').

I wish more of these people took the time to wonder why there's a hyperfocus on trans people all of a sudden. I don't remember it being this big when Nadia won Big Brother or Hayley appeared in Corrie.

selectivememory

jobotic

Bet there's a lot of "Disappointed about Jonny Greenwood" feeling around. Less "what a shame the keyboard player out of Elbow is a prick" sentiment.

Kankurette

I have a non-binary friend who's an Elbow fan. They're not going to be happy about this.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

are Elbow fans ever happy though I mean come on what a life choice. he says as a massive radiohead fan.

shiftwork2

Elbow: ripping off Carpet Crawlers for 20 years, grafting and crafting between trips to the bakers.

dead-ced-dead

Is there a difference between Elbow and Mumford and Sons? I refuse to Google this.

imitationleather

Ex_GC

The latest 'anonymous' post on the SBG is unhinged. 'Letter to my Employer: why I won't be adding my pronouns'

idunnosomename

I can understand why people find standing up in front of a crowd and saying "my pronouns are she her" a bit weird, but putting your preferred form of address in an email? Have these people never worked in a modern office? It's mortifying when you give someone with an unfamilar given name the wrong pronouns in an online exchange. Its just sensible now we dont use Mr and Mrs in correspondence

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 26, 2022, 01:13:54 PMI can understand why people find standing up in front of a crowd and saying "my pronouns are she her" a bit weird, but putting your preferred form of address in an email? Have these people never worked in a modern office? It's mortifying when you give someone with an unfamilar given name the wrong pronouns in an online exchange. Its just sensible now we dont use Mr and Mrs in correspondence
EDIT: that's a bit violent. Let's say "if you huff enough of your own farts it makes sense".

Dr Rock

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: Ex_GC on April 26, 2022, 12:56:52 PMThe latest 'anonymous' post on the SBG is unhinged. 'Letter to my Employer: why I won't be adding my pronouns'
Yeah it's a bit weird, the whole 'I'm silently protesting something I'm enraged about', big toddler tantrum energy.  I particularly liked the way it went from 'No I'm not putting my bloody pronouns in my email sig' to '5yr olds googling animal masturbation' in the space of 4 paragraphs.

I had to read this bit twice to figure out what they meant:
QuoteNot even when if it becomes mandatory. 
Who writes like that?  Clearly it reads better as 'not even if it becomes mandatory', but they had to jam 'when' in there to make it sound like a certainty.

mippy

Mumsnet has a "poem" about how you can't vote for anyone these days because they're all TRAs, and I really wish someone had taught boomers that not all poems have to rhyme.