Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:32:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wheesht 17: Alt-right, Alt-right, Glinner's Nearly Alt-Right (Deep Deep Down)

Started by Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse, March 28, 2022, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesTC

Quote from: Ex_GC on March 28, 2022, 04:28:29 PMSorry but WTF is he going on about here? What's the issue with Owen Jones asking for opinions? Surely there's no shame in admitting you don't know enough about a subject and asking others for guidance

And it's also a bit rich coming from him as he has put many posts on Substack asking for opinions/ tweets/ examples/ how to word something. And he's also the one who copies and pastes the words of others and then charges his subscribers for the privilege

He is such a petulant child

https://gettr.com/post/p12chgn6602

This from a man who needed his journalism readers to point out to him that it might not be the best idea to send white feathers through the post to a load of women.

Ex_GC

Quote from: Better Midlands on March 28, 2022, 04:32:28 PM

Yeah, I don't get the outrage, just sparking a conversation.

I think it's the most pathetic attempt at a 'gotcha' I've seen from him in a while.

Ex_GC

Quote from: JamesTC on March 28, 2022, 04:33:19 PM

This from a man who needed his journalism readers to point out to him that it might not be the best idea to send white feathers through the post to a load of women.

Oh yes, I remember he posted that his friend told him this wasn't a good idea as they needed a more 'elegant' way of getting people around to their thinking. Elegant. Hilarious

I wonder what happened to the 'strategic ignorance award' that he sent to a few people

Janie Jones

Football v transphobia this Thursday in South London, fundraising for TRUK which provides support for the Trans community. S.London CaB meet?

https://www.brixtonbuzz.com/2022/03/dulwich-hamlet-women-take-on-transgender-truk-united-fc-in-historic-encounter-31st-march-2022/

While I'm here can I ask whether this new thread can be a bit less insulting and demeaning than the others?

The early Glinner threads used to be the most women-positive threads on CaB but that's not the tone any more. I know transphobes' views are hateful and thus people here think they don't deserve respect but this has spilt over into sneering at people in the hospitality industry (e.g. speculating that Glinner's fucked his life so badly, he'll end up working in a, hur hur, coffee shop) and mocking people's religions. There's also been gendered and ageist insults like 'mad old bitch' that have passed without comment. Some of us are looking as obsessive and hateful as the people we are trying to call out for their persecution of a minority community. I'll get the usual tirade of defensivenesses and accusations of terfery for saying this but I don't think it is indicative of CaB's finest work and I wish we looked less like a hate site sometimes.

JaDanketies

When I made that post about him working in a coffee shop I thought that people might misinterpret it at sneering at people who work in coffee shops, but I think I worded it well enough as for this to be a minority view and for it clearly to just be me wishing financial devastation that keeps him in low-income employment until after retirement age

Quote from: JaDanketies on March 16, 2022, 10:06:22 AMOne day in 20 years, you'll be exiting in a Starbucks in Norwich and you'll think, "that barista was very surly and impolite, but I suppose in a fair world they would've retired by now..." and then the penny will drop - it's Bafta-winning acclaimed comedy writer Graham Linehan! You'll turn around to tell him that you liked Father Ted, and didn't he do something for trans rights or something too? - but he'll be busy getting a warning from his 20-something manager for abusing the customers.

Actually it isn't a fair world and he'll probably be financially comfortable forever. Unless someone sues the pants off him, which is possible.

In fairness too I think that "Graham is no longer able to fleece pensioners and becomes financially insecure" is a reasonably-likely outcome and it's hard to talk about this without talking about the other shit that financially insecure people have.

While I might wish that Graham shits his pants, that shouldn't be read as a mocking of the incontinent.

Fisher Goes Berserk

Quote from: Better Midlands on March 28, 2022, 04:30:26 PM

Another really good example of transphobic brain rot there. A completely unsubstantiated claim, based on misinformation (the uterus isn't currently included in the list of organs that can be donated), made to sound scary, and rendered unintelligible by typos and non-sequiturs.

frajer

Quote from: Ex_GC on March 28, 2022, 04:28:29 PMSorry but WTF is he going on about here? What's the issue with Owen Jones asking for opinions? Surely there's no shame in admitting you don't know enough about a subject and asking others for guidance

And it's also a bit rich coming from him as he has put many posts on Substack asking for opinions/ tweets/ examples/ how to word something. And he's also the one who copies and pastes the words of others and then charges his subscribers for the privilege

He is such a petulant child

Yeah he literally does nothing but repost stuff people send him.

I'd say he's trying to be funny but I assume his brain rot is so severe that he genuinely thinks his sad grief blog content is all generated by him.

The Late Satoru Iwata

Quote from: JamesTC on March 28, 2022, 04:09:39 PMWas watching the new animated movie The Bad Guys the other day, and I couldn't help but think about how angry Glinner would be if he were watching it. The Adult Female Tarantula was sent to a jail which was not split based on gender.

Just was amusing myself with the idea of Glinner standing up and shouting "groomer" at the screen before loudly declaring that he made Richard Ayoade (who plays a guinea pig).

I think you mean Ralph Ayoade.

BennyHedgehog

It's just something Graham would never do when crafting a journalism

retsuza

Just for the record once I die any trans man who wants my dick and or balls is more than welcome to them.

oggyraiding

What's the "wheesht" referring to? I am somewhat out of the loop with the BC chronicles.

JamesTC

Quote from: BennyHedgehog on March 28, 2022, 04:59:14 PMIt's just something Graham would never do when crafting a journalism

Owen Jones wants a range of opinions based on the evidence. Glinner wants a range of evidence to fit his opinion.

Fisher Goes Berserk

Quote from: BennyHedgehog on March 28, 2022, 04:59:14 PMIt's just something Graham would never do when crafting a journalism

If I were being generous (sorry) I'd say that BC was asking for examples to illustrate his argument, whereas Jones was inviting a range of opinions. Not that that makes BC look any better, thankfully - in fact it just shows how much he relies on confirmation bias. And it says a lot about a person that they would attack someone for wanting to actually hear a range of views on something.

[Edit: JamesTC said it quicker, shorter and better]

The Late Satoru Iwata

Quote from: chip on March 28, 2022, 09:38:12 AMI suppose. Though I'd have thought if you're facing such an insurmountable challenge as to peak the world on your gender-critical ideology, you'd be a bit less choosy about your allies, and indeed strive to have one of its most visible proponents on your side - as much of a rotten banana as he so pl(ant)ainly is.

I mean, think of what (they probably think) they could accomplish if they joined forces. Baffling.
I think we've seen that they are definitely not that choosy about their allies, cosying up to open homophobes like Caroline Farrow and all kinds of right wing sods, so it really has to be about his visibility/usefulness - and he already had next to none a couple of years ago and has only eroded it further since.

The Late Satoru Iwata

Could anyone give me an example of a woman obfuscating her gender for profit?

Ex_GC

Also: 'at least I don't ask my followers'. Mate, don't pretend you have the same substantial platform and following as Owen Jones. Your Gettr interaction is mainly people mocking you, GC women criticising you and Sianrose

I think he will never ever get over losing his Twitter account

The Late Satoru Iwata

Quote from: oggyraiding on March 28, 2022, 05:02:21 PMWhat's the "wheesht" referring to? I am somewhat out of the loop with the BC chronicles.
Wheesht is a Scots word (I believe also in use in bits of Ireland) which, I think, literally means 'silence' but was more frequently used in the phrase 'haud yer wheesht' - aka 'shut up'

'Women won't wheesht'/women will not be silenced started doing the rounds a whole ago as one of the regular mantras of TERFdom and here we are, with a centuries-old word completely subsumed and ruined.

edit: in fact - https://twitter.com/Lenniesaurus/status/1288415729067462657?s=20&t=1hAR_ztnn6c9Eg-wx9ueoQ

canadagoose

Quote from: jobotic on March 28, 2022, 03:36:06 PMPresumably the enormous supportive crowds are behind the person filming?

They all have that permanent smug smirk all the time don't they?

I'm glad someone else has noticed. I call it the columnist smirk. A telltale sign of a posh cultist.

Kelvin

Quote from: Better Midlands on March 28, 2022, 04:32:28 PM

Yeah, I don't get the outrage, just sparking a conversation.

I have a lot of time for Jones, but that tweet is embarrassing imo. It's fine for him not to have a strong opinion on the issue obviously, but there's something really cringeworthy about a professional journalist saying, "tell me what to think" without any indication that he's considered the issue himself.

If you don't have an opinion, just don't tweet about it, no-one's got a gun to your head. And if you want more perspectives, there are millions already posted online about the topic. It's just another journalist trying to ride a wave they don't actually care about.

mr. logic

That Jones tweet is a bit strange, mind. Either have an opinion or don't, it doesn't matter.

Dr Rock

QuoteWhere will the donated wombs come from?

Experts in the UK say wombs will be donated from women who are "brain-dead" but whose hearts are kept beating.

No wonder terfs are worried.

mr. logic

Quote from: Kelvin on March 28, 2022, 05:18:04 PMI have a lot of time for Jones, but that tweet is embarrassing imo. It's fine for him not to have a strong opinion on the issue obviously, but there's something really cringeworthy about a professional journalist saying, "tell me what to think" without any indication that he's considered the issue himself.

If you don't have an opinion, just don't tweet about it, no-one's got a gun to your head. And if you want more perspectives, there are millions already posted online about the topic.

Snap.

Jones is surely acknowledging that it's an opportunity for the full range of social media hot takes and hand-wringing and he wants to hear them all.

What a 'nana.

Jumblegraws

I'd guess that Jones instinctively thought the slap was out of order, but then noticed that a lot of people were approaching the incident from angles he hadn't even considered (ableism, misogynoir, etc) and so was genuinely keen to canvass as much opinion as possible. Clearly this strikes Greybum undignified, an understandable position if you're a self-regarding bananacunt who is willing to alienate immediate family because you know you're right.

Quote from: Kelvin on March 28, 2022, 05:18:04 PMIf you don't have an opinion, just don't tweet about it

You're right there, no need for everyone to comment on everything all the time.

HamishMacbeth

Given his tone in the replies, I believe Owen's tweet is more about "correct takes" than... well... correct takes.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Kelvin on March 28, 2022, 05:18:04 PMI have a lot of time for Jones, but that tweet is embarrassing imo. It's fine for him not to have a strong opinion on the issue obviously, but there's something really cringeworthy about a professional journalist saying, "tell me what to think" without any indication that he's considered the issue himself.

If you don't have an opinion, just don't tweet about it, no-one's got a gun to your head. And if you want more perspectives, there are millions already posted online about the topic. It's just another journalist trying to ride a wave they don't actually care about.

I don't get why he's asking as twitter is quite literally flooded with this incident right now, he just needs to look at his own fucking timeline.

Ex_GC

Yeah I would take it to mean he just wants to hear different views. That's the point of Twitter surely. Either way, for GL to compare that to his interview with Nolan and decide that the interview is the least embarrassing of the two things is just, well, brain rot