Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:00:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Acclaimed/Popular Comedians You Despise

Started by Joe Qunt, March 28, 2022, 02:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Bently Sheds on April 09, 2022, 05:34:34 PMIain Stirling gets a pass from me due to his outstanding work with Hacker the Dog doing the programme links on CBBC back in the day. Hate his Love Island voice though...
He gets the opposite of a pass from me for being an utter tit on Taskmaster.

BritishHobo

I'll always go to bat for Sterling on Taskmaster though. He was a prick in the tasks, but he showed a huge amount of self-criticism and humility watching them back on stage that I always feel I should defend him. You can tell from his reactions to clips that he can see he went overboard and feels proper shame and regret about it.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: BritishHobo on April 09, 2022, 10:07:09 PMI'll always go to bat for Sterling on Taskmaster though. He was a prick in the tasks, but he showed a huge amount of self-criticism and humility watching them back on stage that I always feel I should defend him. You can tell from his reactions to clips that he can see he went overboard and feels proper shame and regret about it.
It doesn't make actually watching him be a prick any more enjoyable, though.

BritishHobo

JamesTC

Quote from: ProvanFan on April 09, 2022, 05:35:42 PMAbout as funny as Uncle Albert cunting it at the comedy awards

I've got to check out some Josie Long stand up.

Years ago, fans of Josie Long would react to criticism of her by making the person doing the criticising a hand crocheted cushion with something written on it like "we should all be friends because the world is just a great big onion." Now they just tell them to fuck off.

Goes to show that despite everything, in some ways the world has become a better place.

sutin

I'm very defensive of her. I genuinely think people who don't like her must be absolute cunts.

paruses

Quote from: sutin on April 13, 2022, 01:40:15 AMI'm very defensive of her. I genuinely think people who don't like her must be absolute cunts.

Same - and I'm not even that familiar with her work. Peculiar to Josie Long, they seem to be the kind of people who get upset someone else is a vegetarian (not even a vegan) or that women are talking.

Edit - I mean people who seem to go out of their way to say they loathe her rather than don't like her work.

Joe Qunt

Josie Long is a poor woman's Holly Walsh.

paruses

Holly Walsh is massively underrated (by me ... so Was massively underrated. Others might have had the correct opinion all along)

sutin

Quote from: paruses on April 13, 2022, 09:20:57 AMEdit - I mean people who seem to go out of their way to say they loathe her rather than don't like her work.

Well yeah, that's what I mean really. She's definitely one of the good eggs in British comedy, this country could do with (a hell a of lot) more Josie Longs.

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on April 07, 2022, 02:04:15 PM"Widely acclaimed" means "shite" these days, apparently. Riches is awful.

Got to disagree I'm afraid. Have seen most of his live shows and when he's at his best, they are absolutely joyous.

To be able to regularly construct an entire show out of audience participation and it not to rely on cheap bullying tactics takes a fair bit of skill.

Can understand that seeing some of his sketches out of context on cats does countdown would be baffling.

beanheadmcginty

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on April 13, 2022, 01:35:07 PMGot to disagree I'm afraid. Have seen most of his live shows and when he's at his best, they are absolutely joyous.

To be able to regularly construct an entire show out of audience participation and it not to rely on cheap bullying tactics takes a fair bit of skill.

Can understand that seeing some of his sketches out of context on cats does countdown would be baffling.
I've not seen as much as you, but I've seen some, and he's still awful.

PeterCornelius

Baddiel has already been mentioned but just wanted to add that I can't stand him. It's the air of smugness. Perhaps it's a Cambridge thing because Griff Rhys Jones displays similar traits. Neither of them are funny but believe they are. I was delighted when GRJ appeared on HIGNFY and Merton ran rings around him. The look on his face was priceless.

I can't stand David Walliams either. There's something unsettling about him - and I thought Little Britain was massively overrated.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: PeterCornelius on April 16, 2022, 10:57:21 AMPerhaps it's a Cambridge thing because Griff Rhys Jones displays similar traits. Neither of them (Baddiel) are funny but believe they are. I was delighted when GRJ appeared on HIGNFY and Merton ran rings around him. The look on his face was priceless.

Surely, all comedians must believe they're funny otherwise they wouldn't have entered the profession?  Griff Rhys Jones was never a stand up comic or has been a regular comedy panellist so Merton probably would run rings around him. Jones was brilliant in NTNON and Alas Smith & Jones, so gets a free pass from me.

DrGreggles

Jones was never a stand up though, more a comedy actor.
Not saying that means he isn't quick-witted, but stand up requires thinking on your feet a lot more.

Mr Banlon

neveragain

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 16, 2022, 05:15:51 PMJones was brilliant in NTNON and Alas Smith & Jones, so gets a free pass from me.

Yes, I'll also stick up for Jones' comedy acting. He's got more talent and a much greater range than Merton in that regard.

mattyc

I enjoy Josie Long's work, but aside from that there is definitely something really endearing about her.