Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:45:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Acclaimed/Popular Comedians You Despise

Started by Joe Qunt, March 28, 2022, 02:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Ryan seems alright and funny based on the panel show stuff I've seen however I can't imagine what her stand-up would actually be like unlike a lot of people who appear on them.

sutin

I think i've mentioned on this forum before that I can't stand Simon Amstell. A posh, smug little twerp (or at least someone who does a great impression of one).

I like Nish Kumar. He seems nice and is funny.

jobotic

Lenny Bennett

not really just saying it for effect

timebug

Never found Lou Sanders/Jessica Knappett/Tom Allen funny but some obviously rate them.

phantom_power

Joe Lycett always comes across as a smug bully. I know that is sort of his schtick but sometimes I am not sure how much of an act it is

chip

Quote from: timebug on March 31, 2022, 08:52:13 AMNever found Lou Sanders/Jessica Knappett/Tom Allen funny but some obviously rate them.

Never seen a moment of Lou Sanders' comedy, but I'm blown away by her rollerblading.

Virgo76

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on March 30, 2022, 02:07:43 AMKen Dodd. Never actually watched any of his act because everything I have seen of the way he looks and talks makes me 100% certain I'll despise him. Plus, both my parents have always expressed hate for him and we largely share comical hates as a family.
I saw him performing once in the 2000s.
He wasn't bad exactly but as others have noted his show went on for hours and hours. The interval came at the point you would ordinarily have expected the show to end. This was very impressive in some ways as even then (2004?) he was in his late seventies.
His act wasn't improved simply by being long though. Many of the jokes were very old e.g. the Do You Think He Saurus joke told in Jurassic Park (Remember that? The film about dinosaurs roaming the Earth long after they should have become extinct...)
I'm not saying he copied the joke from the film. It was an old joke even then which he may actually have originally made up.
He always seemed a bit odd to me. But I was a child of the 1980s. Older people like my parents seem to remember him very fondly (they also go on about what a great singing voice he had).
I suspect he really was brilliant. I just missed his heyday.

p.s. Katherine Ryan's stand-up is perfectly decent too. Her Netflix series was poor partly because she's not a very good actress. But she's clearly very intelligent and funny generally.
p.p.s. Never very keen on Patrick Kielty. He often seems very bitter - probably because of his father being killed etc. I don't despise him though.

chutnut

I like Katherine Ryan, I've even intentionally watched a recording of her stand up and enjoyed it

and I bloody love Lou Sanders

Fr.Bigley

Surprised no one has mentioned McIntyre yet. Unfunny, smug, milquetoast, shit-for-cunts ubertwat.

Joe Qunt

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on March 31, 2022, 09:46:44 AMSurprised no one has mentioned McIntyre yet. Unfunny, smug, milquetoast, shit-for-cunts ubertwat.

Thought it went without saying.

Bigfella

Quote from: shlug on March 29, 2022, 12:05:43 AMRussell Peters. He's like Hari Kondabolu's Manoj made manifest.
Jesus, don't tell me there's another Russell to be avoided?  I can't stand Brand, Howard or Kane.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Joe Qunt on March 31, 2022, 10:17:24 AMThought it went without saying.

I needed that bit of cathartic outburst this morning.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Bigfella on March 31, 2022, 10:20:27 AMJesus, don't tell me there's another Russell to be avoided?  I can't stand Brand, Howard or Kane.

What is you stance on Hobbs?

ProvanFan

I'd probably be Patrick Kielty too if my father had been killed etc

chip

Quote from: Joe Qunt on March 31, 2022, 10:17:24 AMThought it went without saying.

I 100% forgot Mcintyre exists. Haven't thought about him in a decade. What's he been up to?

Magnum Valentino

I listened to the introduction to his second audiobook on Amazon as a wee sampler thing out of the kind of curiosity that arrives unannounced and goes unchallenged.

He makes a reference to 'previously on' introductions to television episodes and then executes a little mini standup bit based on that and the fact he's already written a book.

I could only conclude that he either thinks everything he says is funny or is aware that it's likely his audience will find it funny even if he doesn't (which is something my brother has often said about Matt Lucas, that in some regards he's a selfless comic who didn't really believe Little Britain was any good but knew people would like it and it would make lots of money).

But it was INCREDIBLY unfunny for an introduction to a book by the country's biggest comedian.

phantom_power

Quote from: chip on March 31, 2022, 11:21:19 AMI 100% forgot Mcintyre exists. Haven't thought about him in a decade. What's he been up to?

He has pretty much become a light entertainer presenter now, and he's not bad at it

mattyc

Only Brand and Corden have me scrambling for the off button. Whitehall/Howard are just about tolerable on panel shows.

Baddiel?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on March 31, 2022, 11:30:41 AMI could only conclude that he either thinks everything he says is funny or is aware that it's likely his audience will find it funny even if he doesn't (which is something my brother has often said about Matt Lucas, that in some regards he's a selfless comic who didn't really believe Little Britain was any good but knew people would like it and it would make lots of money).

How long has Matt Lucas been blessed with the power of clairvoyance?

Magnum Valentino

I know, I've put that really badly. What I mean is, there's people out there who don't like the art they create and do it to pay the bills. Sort of a 'one for you, one for me' situation.

It's definitely a subjective point of discussion but I can believe it where Lucas is concerned. He was very frequently the funniest part of anything he did with Vid and Bob and has also made some of the worst comedy ever.

DrGreggles

Joe Qunt

I think instead of having to force the public to endure a decade or so of shite acting/singing/comedy , there should be a direct "light entertainment host pipeline".

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on March 31, 2022, 12:02:21 PMI know, I've put that really badly. What I mean is, there's people out there who don't like the art they create and do it to pay the bills. Sort of a 'one for you, one for me' situation.

It's definitely a subjective point of discussion but I can believe it where Lucas is concerned. He was very frequently the funniest part of anything he did with Vid and Bob and has also made some of the worst comedy ever.

I can't imagine any successful comedy creative seriously believes they have 'bottled lightning' to ensure a payday for the very reason of 's*bj*ct*v*ty', that comedy discussion dirty word. It's called 'the hardest job in the world' for a reason, Stew. Not harder than neurosurgery or being the proverbial miner, true, but still obviously a bugger to get right. The 'one for you, one for me' may have worked for Clint Eastwood and Mel Gibson but I don't think it applies to comedy types. At least, not off the top of my head. Once upon a time , the aforementioned Vic & Bob, perhaps?

mattyc

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 31, 2022, 12:03:48 PMNeither acclaimed or popular.
Barely a comedian.

Agreed. Although weirdly acclaimed for his writing which, from the articles and extracts I've read, appears to be genuinely terrible.

Icehaven

Baddiel was acclaimed for his comedy though, even if he isn't anymore. The Mary Whitehouse Experience and his and Newman's double act were absolutely huge in the 90s.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Icehaven on March 31, 2022, 01:57:26 PMBaddiel was The Mary Whitehouse Experience and his and Newman's double act were absolutely huge in the 90s.

Only because mrs Browns Boys hadn't been made yet.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: robhug on March 28, 2022, 04:29:13 PMCorden, Nish Kumar, Russel Howard and apparently Jack Whitehall identifies as a comedian. There can't be many people who do not despise that cunt of a quartet.

Agree except Kumar who I have no knowledge of, also agree with Rogan. Gervais, Jimmy Carr, is Jonathan Ross a comedian because he's the most contemptible man and I think he gets his knob out just to add to his despicableness.

phantom_power

Nish Kumar may or may not be funny but I am pretty sure he isn't a cunt. He seems like a decent bloke and isn't afraid to state left-wing opinions, and I didn't see him shitting on Labour during the election.

bobloblaw

Nish's podcast & panel show ubiquity is due in no small part to his generous appreciation of his fellow comics - he seems to find most of them hilarious, which must be flattering, infectious and a shortcut to guaranteeing a welcome atmosphere. He does seem above all though a nice bloke rather than a hilarious comedian.

But he did provide Taskmaster with many gold moments and the 'song for Rosalind' he wrote and performed with Mark Watson is as perfect in its own sweet way as that delivered the Bob Mortimer camp, which is no mean feat.