Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:51:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Hale & Pace query

Started by Rev+, March 30, 2022, 12:10:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on March 30, 2022, 03:57:35 PMAh, good point. They knew UK viewers would wonder what happened to the big white balloons.

Hale & Pace are huge in Australia.

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on March 30, 2022, 03:58:49 PMThat's still pretty good. Nice digs at the police and the lack of NHS beds.

Yeah thats from series 2, like I say, I stand by those first 2 series as still being good.

Spanish hospitality

The Northern Calypso

Sid of the Sunday League

The man who can't take anything seriously

All sketches I remember laughing myself silly at on a Sunday night when I was 12. Spanish hospitality in particular is fantastic - Gareth plays a brilliant drunk.

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on March 30, 2022, 03:08:15 PMHale has the best cheeky chappy face in existence. He nearly made me die one night. I was off school with bronchitis and allowed to stay up late to watch H&P on a Sunday night, and it got to a Billy & Johnny sketch where Johnny is in hospital having a vasectomy. When it got to the bit where Johnny is peeling a banana and Billy finally cottons on and does one of the greatest reactions I've ever seen, I fucking lost it, wheezing and screaming like I was under attack, I literally couldnt breathe, I nearly passed out and I woke up my mum with my nonsense and she had to come down and turn the tv off to stop me from laughing/coughing/dying.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=10154654686922925

I mean, look at his little face (from about 2:13 onwards).

I used to love Hale and Pace when I was very, very young. Too young to remember even watching it, but I can because this sketched is completely seared into my brain and has been about 30 years. I can't even explain why, it's not like I could have understood what it was getting at

Icehaven

Quote from: non capisco on March 30, 2022, 01:52:45 PMThe 'man who can't take anything seriously' Hale and Pace sketch is excellent. Hale just has the perfect face for the central idea.

Love it. And the "I'm not dead you know" moment massively reminds me of Geoff's fake suicide in LoG, right down to how he blinks.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Stone Cold Steve Austin on March 30, 2022, 07:52:17 PMI used to love Hale and Pace when I was very, very young. Too young to remember even watching it, but I can because this sketched is completely seared into my brain and has been about 30 years. I can't even explain why, it's not like I could have understood what it was getting at

I was also very young and from what I recall it wasn't until the banana bit that I twigged was he was referring to, that was part of the reason I was laughing so much.

I do sometimes think that H&P get unfairly dismissed as stuff people only enjoyed when they were kids, their early stuff was really quite good.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: non capisco on March 30, 2022, 01:52:45 PMThe 'man who can't take anything seriously' Hale and Pace sketch is excellent. Hale just has the perfect face for the central idea.

FFS. Now blocked. Good job I watched it this afternoon before that happened.

Gurke and Hare

Were they regulars on Saturday Live (or Friday Night Live, depending on which series it was) at one point?

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on March 30, 2022, 03:08:15 PMHale has the best cheeky chappy face in existence. He nearly made me die one night. I was off school with bronchitis and allowed to stay up late to watch H&P on a Sunday night, and it got to a Billy & Johnny sketch where Johnny is in hospital having a vasectomy. When it got to the bit where Johnny is peeling a banana and Billy finally cottons on and does one of the greatest reactions I've ever seen, I fucking lost it, wheezing and screaming like I was under attack, I literally couldnt breathe, I nearly passed out and I woke up my mum with my nonsense and she had to come down and turn the tv off to stop me from laughing/coughing/dying.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=10154654686922925

I mean, look at his little face (from about 2:13 onwards).

That's no vasectomy. Fantastic to hear the audience response, they're practically going berserk by the end.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on March 31, 2022, 10:54:42 AMThat's no vasectomy. Fantastic to hear the audience response, they're practically going berserk by the end.

Quite right too, my bad. But yes, thats one of those rare pieces of comedy you see where the audience are completely losing their minds.

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on March 31, 2022, 10:39:44 AMWere they regulars on Saturday Live (or Friday Night Live, depending on which series it was) at one point?

I haven't seen any of those shows since they aired so I'm not sure about that, but they were hanging around that alternative comedy scene, they made a few appearances in The Young Ones, for example, so it wouldn't suprise me if they made an appearance on those shows, they fit the bill.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on March 31, 2022, 10:39:44 AMWere they regulars on Saturday Live (or Friday Night Live, depending on which series it was) at one point?

They hosted the episode of Saturday Live that was nominated for the Rose d'Or, or something.

studpuppet

They did Da Management most weeks I think. I also vaguely remember them being walk-ons in other people's sketches a la the US SNL 'team' approach. I've got a vague memory of them being part of a Dangerous Brothers sketch, but I may be mis-remembering that.

EDIT: no they didn't, at least not for Rik & Ade, but almost every other regular had bit parts.

Virgo76

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 31, 2022, 12:27:28 PMThey hosted the episode of Saturday Live that was nominated for the Rose d'Or, or something.

The Hale & Pace show won the Golden Rose in 1989.
High praise indeed as literally only the very best stuff won back then.
In 1995, it was won by Chris Evans' Don't Forget Your Toothbrush.
In 1985, it was won by the Paul Daniels Magic Easter Show.

kalowski

They were in Pushing Up Daisies and Coming Next and I'm pretty sure those kids TV characters first appeared in Coming Next.
"What am I?"
"You're a dwarf milking a cow."