Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:10:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Seann Walsh: Kiss | Full Comedy Special

Started by banana, March 31, 2022, 10:54:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

banana

Never seen strictly come dancing but this is a full show with jokes and stuff.

up_the_hampipe

This is a really enjoyable show. Even if you don't find it particularly funny (which it is) it's still a fascinating story.

Johnny Yesno

I've never been a fan of Walsh but that's a good show, that. Thanks for posting it, banana.

Shaky

He seems like a massive bellend AND he looks like a bit like Justin Lee Collins.

Hat FM

could he not get it on netflix/prime? #desolation

j_u_d_a_s

"Yeah I cheated on and humiliated my girlfriend in the public eye after repeatedly telling her she was crazy for thinking I was cheating on her and she barely gets a mention in this hour but I lost the chance to do Michael McIntyre's Big Show so you should feel sorry for me ACTually!"

Stoneage Dinosaurs

He looks a bit like TJ Miller in that. Is there a correlation between having that look and being a massive shithead?

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: j_u_d_a_s on April 02, 2022, 12:38:16 PM"Yeah I cheated on and humiliated my girlfriend in the public eye after repeatedly telling her she was crazy for thinking I was cheating on her and she barely gets a mention in this hour but I lost the chance to do Michael McIntyre's Big Show so you should feel sorry for me ACTually!"

That's not the energy I got from it at all. I don't know Walsh well enough to know if it's all performative, and I know nothing about the story apart from his side of it, but there's a decent amount of self-reflection in the show. He's no Linehan and the only moment I can see of him putting the blame elsewhere is where he expresses his surprise at the level of vitriol directed towards him over what was a personal matter - 'Britain's most hated comedian', and that.

The Lurker

That's what his RHLSTP was like wasn't it, if I remember correctly? The panic attack sounded brutal though.

I did enjoy this though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG4vDgNrm4g, so I'll probably check out Kiss out when I can be arsed

Dickie_Anders

Watched that, it was funny, thanks for sharing. He didn't grovel the entire time saying how sorry he was but it's probably a good thing he didn't because that wouldn't be very funny

j_u_d_a_s

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on April 02, 2022, 04:13:24 PMThat's not the energy I got from it at all. I don't know Walsh well enough to know if it's all performative, and I know nothing about the story apart from his side of it, but there's a decent amount of self-reflection in the show. He's no Linehan and the only moment I can see of him putting the blame elsewhere is where he expresses his surprise at the level of vitriol directed towards him over what was a personal matter - 'Britain's most hated comedian', and that.

I'm not comfortable with the focus being on Walsh's reaction to the consequences of his own actions. His ex has been neatly airbrushed out of the picture which doesn't sit right with me considering she also had to live through the public spectacle of having her relationship become tabloid fodder. A simple "sorry" doesn't really cut it after reading Rebecca Humphries statement again:

Quote'My name is Rebecca Humphries and I am not a victim.

'It's incredibly good of Sean(n) and Katya to apologise in the media. I have received nothing, other than the support of my family, friends and a host of strangers on the internet who all wanted to make sure I was OK.

'I was alone at home when Sean texted at 10pm saying the two of them were going for one innocent drink. We spoke and I told him, not for the first time, that his actions over the past three weeks had led me to believe something inappropriate was going on. He aggressively, and repeatedly, called me a psycho / nuts / mental. As he has done countless times throughout our relationship when I've questioned his inappropriate, hurtful behaviour.

'But this whole business has served to remind me that I am a strong, capable person who is now free; and no victim. I have a voice and will use it by saying this to any woman out there who deep down feels worthless and trapped with a man they love. Believe in yourself and your instincts. It's more than lying. It's controlling.

'Tell some very close friends who, if they're anything like my wonderful network, will swoop in and take care of the logistics and of you. It's important also to recognise that in these situations those who hold power over you are insecure and fragile, and their need for control comes from a place of vulnerability.

'I think it certainly does in Sean's case. Despite everything, I hope he gets what he wants from this. I'm not sorry I took the cat though.'

I've enjoyed some of Seann's stuff in the past and here was a great opportunity for him to be more than just a crowd pleaser. He could have really dug into the self reflection for this special but he's proved he's just not capable of doing so. And I really can't relate to losing lucrative television work. There's some decent punchlines in this but the "I'm the real victim here" mentality leaves a nasty taste.

ETA: Tbf to Seann, this old review suggests that Rebecca's statement was discussed during an earlier version of the show. I can understand not including it in the recorded version that'll exist online for all time but still feels like only half the story.

banana

Yes j_u_d_a_s, I did feel a bit iffy posting that after Googling him and seeing that open letter thing, does seem there could be more to this than "oh I used to be a bit of a baddy but I was really stressed and it happened really fast etc", but the show was at least interesting, so I did post it.

The Lurker

The show was alright. The impression of Michael McIntyre was superb.

gilbertharding

Quote from: j_u_d_a_s on April 03, 2022, 05:13:52 PMETA: Tbf to Seann, this old review suggests that Rebecca's statement was discussed during an earlier version of the show. I can understand not including it in the recorded version that'll exist online for all time but still feels like only half the story.

Yeah - this

QuoteIt's a rare acknowledgment that this is not entirely his story to tell, and an uncomfortable reminder that she accused him of being a psychologically manipulative gaslighter. For a moment we feel guilty siding with Walsh over the media scrutiny. It's an aspect of the story he probably has to mention, but he cannot come out of it well, whether denying or accepting the charges, so it's all a little awkward.

...from the article makes a good point. He can't deny it, whether it's true or not.

Rolf Lundgren

Thought it was alright too. Top tier Michael McIntyre impression. It was a bizarre and unenviable situation he got himself into but got the sense he both loves and hates the infamy that came with it.

Didn't think it was a plea to feel sorry for him or indeed an explanation. He seemed happy to admit that he had messed everything up for himself and was working on improving. It's the best he can do under the circumstances really but I can understand if people don't want to forgive.

Wonder where he goes from here though. Stay on the circuit indefinitely? You'd imagine any chance of TV work has gone.

The Lurker

Sean(n), if you're reading this, feel free to use "it was alright" as a quote for your tour posters from myself and Rolf Lundgren.

somersetchris

Quote from: Better Midlands on April 16, 2022, 02:05:41 AMSeann's on the Triggernometry podcast

That's quite impressive, a four word title, two of them are inaccurate and the other two are 'for' and 'a'. He wasn't cancelled, and it wasn't just a kiss.

So many people who are supposedly cancelled are getting stand-up specials and TV / newspaper interviews I'm thinking it might be a decent career move.

j_u_d_a_s

Quote from: Better Midlands on April 16, 2022, 02:05:41 AMSeann's on the Triggernometry podcast

In which case, he can absolutely get fucked for that. I was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt and heard his side of the story. Didn't particularly agree with it but had to say fair play for at least trying to tackle it, even if it does come across as self serving.

But the second you get into bed with Konstantin Kisin and The Other One, you lose any credibility or value you may have held. Sean(n) ending his mainstream career by becoming another front for the culture war.

Ron Superior

Those Triggernometry fellas have absolutely pulled off a blinder, fair play to them. Two of the most underwhelming comedians around got in on the grift right at the right time. They aren't even that convincing in the most of the debates I've seen, and they never seem to challenge anything particularly.

I've seen Frances Foster a few times way before knowing about this, and he was truly just the most pointless comedian. When I saw the YouTube stuff kicking off I had to give a grudging "well, good for him, I guess".

jobotic

Can't decide whether to listen to this or the sound of the blood gurgling out of my newly sliced throat.