Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 767
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:01:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Servant of the People (Zelensky political satire)

Started by Pinball, April 02, 2022, 10:28:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinball

We've started watching this- up to E7 of season 1's 24 (!) episodes. Season 2 has 24 episodes too, then season 3 only 3 episodes, as it ended in 2019 when he became President.

It's quite surreal seeing him play a schoolteacher who becomes a 'man-of-the-people' President, and it moves from sitcom to satire to political drama. I'm quite impressed, and like his outlook and views. Anti-corruption, anti-oligarch, pro-democracy etc., with the perspective of history as his character is a history teacher and draws on it a lot. Some Putin jokes too.

The teacher element works well, and reminds me of Breaking Bad.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6235122

Overall, it's a Pinball Recommend.

dozybugcarrot

I've been wanting to watch this, so thank you. Here's a subtitled version tho.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8LH7ChWAg8

I suspect I'm going to end up fantasizing Mark Thomas becoming prime minister.

Pinball

It can be torrented (includes English subtitles), which is the best way to get it. So I've heard...

Channel 4 did a 90-minute moviefied version of season 1, and DVDs can be purchased in US and Canada, but not here, and nothing on Netflix etc. here. This is just the sort of thing that BBC should put on iPlayer IMO, but they haven't.

What's more, it's a surprisingly good series, and gets better as the main character switches from naive newbie to starting to make BIG changes, that naturally the oligarchs and existing politicians don't like. Always drawing on history, including appearances (in his mind) from historical figures.

There are many things we can learn for our democracy too. The main issue for Ukraine though is that they are unfortunate enough to have Russia as a neighbour. It's quite clear how far Ukraine has developed in 30 years, and they don't want to lose that, or their democracy!