Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:01:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pistol (Danny Boyle's Sex Pistols Programme)

Started by SteveDave, April 05, 2022, 01:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

"Have you lot come up with an album title yet?"
"No, Malcolm, we've been playing cards and drinking."
"Bloody hell. Never mind the bollocks, let's think of a title!"

Pink Gregory

Lydon's might be a right cunt these days (and probably always has been) but the way that Never Mind the Bollocks gets warmed over retellings again and again and again instead of any analysis or revisiting of the far superior PiL is a crime.

Less of a neat story I suppose.  Not a repeatably documentary moment when an old, now strawberry-red prog man with long, thin hair talks about Emerson, Lake and Palmer and ends with "...and then, punk happened" and New Rose plays.

Rizla

Quote from: Pink Gregory on April 05, 2022, 08:19:09 PMLydon's might be a right cunt these days (and probably always has been) but the way that Never Mind the Bollocks gets warmed over retellings again and again and again instead of any analysis or revisiting of the far superior PiL is a crime.

Less of a neat story I suppose.  Not a repeatably documentary moment when an old, now strawberry-red prog man with long, thin hair talks about Emerson, Lake and Palmer and ends with "...and then, punk happened" and New Rose plays.
Spot on. Not to mention that NMTB, much as I love it, sounds like Hawkwind compared to the Damned's 1st LP.

"Chris Thomas is lined up to produce you, lads!" "'Oo's ee?" "Oh he worked on the White Album" "What, a fackin' hippy? I don't trust 'em, never 'ave" (cut to band in studio control room, "Bodies" plays on the 24-track "Hey this sounds alright" etc

Noodle Lizard

At this point, even calling it "The Sex Pistols" would have somehow been less generic than what they've gone with. "Pistol" - singular. For fuck's sake. Following trends to the point of absurdity there.

kalowski

Quote from: SteveDave on April 05, 2022, 02:33:26 PM
This picture is still annoying me. They are so drama school it hurts. They have no   idea how to embody the band. That fucking "Sid".

Pink Gregory

Noodle Lizard

JONES: Sorry Malcolm, I can't write an iconic song today because I'm so bloody fed up with this bloody monarchy we have here in the UK, I just want to ...

*Jones angrily strums a G chord nine times*

MCCLAREN: Hang on, play that again ...

SteveDave

A friend once came with an idea for an alternate timeline where, when the Sex Pistols sign their contract outside Buckingham Palace, they inadvertently foil an IRA attack on the Monarchy and become national heroes. They should've made that rather than this.

kalowski

Quote from: SteveDave on April 05, 2022, 09:01:03 PMA friend once came with an idea for an alternate timeline where, when the Sex Pistols sign their contract outside Buckingham Palace, they inadvertently foil an IRA attack on the Monarchy and become national heroes. They should've made that rather than this.
Title: God Save the Queen

Pauline Walnuts

I liked the scene when Malcolm played Sid Vicious Tales from Topographical Oceans.

Glebe

Quote from: Pink Gregory on April 05, 2022, 08:19:09 PMLess of a neat story I suppose.  Not a repeatably documentary moment when an old, now strawberry-red prog man with long, thin hair talks about Emerson, Lake and Palmer and ends with "...and then, punk happened" and New Rose plays.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: kalowski on April 05, 2022, 09:08:06 PMTitle: God Save the Queen

Not IRA, but Neo-Fasists trying to set up a 'new regime', at the end fight with Johnny Rotten on top of the volcano the Keith Emerson, the chief fascist tells Johnny there is no future for England, and as John kicks him off the cliff, "No Future, No Future for YOU"

Now that I'd watch.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

According to the cast list, somebody is playing Nancy Spungen, so at least the cunt playing Sid will die at the end.

Butchers Blind

Sex Pistols? They weren't even the best band in punk.

Brundle-Fly

I love the Pistols, me, but this looks toe curling. You only need to watch The Filth & The Fury. However, I did enjoy Sky Art's Urban Myths episode with Steve Pemberton though. Pitched it just right.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 05, 2022, 11:23:18 PMYou only need to watch The Filth & The Fury.

Yeah, I'm not really sure what else needs to be said about a band that only existed for a couple of years. The Filth & The Fury was also made during a brief window where all the band members were getting along alright, so we got a decent enough idea of how it was from their perspective at least. Dramatising Jonesy's recollection another 20 years on seems utterly redundant.

Glebe

Who can forget Lydon's Blankety Blank appearance?

kalowski

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 05, 2022, 11:23:18 PMI love the Pistols, me, but this looks toe curling. You only need to watch The Filth & The Fury. However, I did enjoy Sky Art's Urban Myths episode with Steve Pemberton though. Pitched it just right.

Yes, that was very good.

SteveDave

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 05, 2022, 11:23:18 PMI love the Pistols, me, but this looks toe curling. You only need to watch The Filth & The Fury. However, I did enjoy Sky Art's Urban Myths episode with Steve Pemberton though. Pitched it just right.

The Johnny Rotten in that doesn't enunciate the T in "Shit" hard enough.

That whole interview is seared into my memory from a Channel 4 programme about swearing on the TV hosted by Jerry Sadowicz.

jobotic

This is going to upset blokes in their fifties or over who are gammon but with an earring, but who else will have the slightest interest?

Is a money laundering thing?

Quote from: kalowski on April 05, 2022, 08:36:47 PMThis picture is still annoying me. They are so drama school it hurts. They have no  idea how to embody the band. That fucking "Sid".

If they were casting an Adam Ant biopic the lad in the middle would be perfect, so why the fuck is he playing John Lydon?? Ridiculous.

Glebe

Quote from: jobotic on April 06, 2022, 09:07:59 AMThis is going to upset blokes in their fifties or over who are gammon but with an earring, but who else will have the slightest interest?

Is a money laundering thing?

Fat, bald, wrinkly blokes in black Chaos UK T-shirts = miffed.

Green-gilled millennials who enjoy glossy E4 comedy drama = happy.

markburgle

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on April 06, 2022, 01:10:57 AMYeah, I'm not really sure what else needs to be said about a band that only existed for a couple of years. The Filth & The Fury was also made during a brief window where all the band members were getting along alright, so we got a decent enough idea of how it was from their perspective at least. Dramatising Jonesy's recollection another 20 years on seems utterly redundant.

I'd say there's a couple of other very good ones:

The Classic Albums ep is a good alternative to TF&TF, less stylised, less Lydon-centric, more focus on the music

Nver Mind the Baubles, a TV doco which focusses on a less remembered event (a Christmas benefit they played for striking firemen), and thus gets some fresh stories and thoughts out of them (they're all in it apart from Matlock)

Head Gardener

The series Vinyl from a few years back recreated bands like Velvet Underground, New York Dolls etc pretty well, so it might have been possible to depict the Pistols with the right feeeeelings if the right folk were consulted - Julien Temple would have to be one of the producers and Jon Savage & Mark Perry too, but I am just an old punk who couldn't give a shit about it if Lydon disses it despite his issues with fucking up his own legacy.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: markburgle on April 06, 2022, 12:43:09 PMNver Mind the Baubles, a TV doco which focusses on a less remembered event (a Christmas benefit they played for striking firemen), and thus gets some fresh stories and thoughts out of them (they're all in it apart from Matlock)

I was quite surprised when I first heard about that event (I think in The Filth And The Fury) and pleased it got expanded into a documentary. It's far more interesting than that Jubilee party on the boat ("They've arrested Malcolm! They've arrested Malcolm!" is the funniest bit in Swindle, admittedly) and the footage of them doling out cake and messing around with the kids is just lovely.

Icehaven

Quote from: SteveDave on April 05, 2022, 02:33:26 PM

Making a punk biopic as a mash-up with a Goonies remake is an interesting direction but I'm not sure it's going to work.

markburgle

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on April 06, 2022, 12:54:19 PMI was quite surprised when I first heard about that event (I think in The Filth And The Fury) and pleased it got expanded into a documentary. It's far more interesting than that Jubilee party on the boat ("They've arrested Malcolm! They've arrested Malcolm!" is the funniest bit in Swindle, admittedly) and the footage of them doling out cake and messing around with the kids is just lovely.

There's that bit as well where Steve's watching the footage back and gives Lydon props for skipping all the effing and jeffing in 'Bodies' during the matinee performance.

Doing a benefit was very off-brand for the nihilistic Pistols, much more something you'd expect the Clash to do. That's partly what was great about it I suppose, puncturing the image

Head Gardener

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I'd have expected something interesting from this combination of director and subject matter. Show all the filth and fury, yes, but mixed with some sort of over the top, magical realist, theatrical thing. The Pistols may have been crass, but they weren't Crass.

The trailer doesn't look all that exciting, but I'll give the show a chance.