Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 06:01:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pistol (Danny Boyle's Sex Pistols Programme)

Started by SteveDave, April 05, 2022, 01:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Video Game Fan 2000

Coogan's Savile will first be revealed to the public in a Marvel-style post credits sequence.

"Everything's going according to plan, Johnny. Eugh eugh eugh eugh"

Jockice

Quote from: markburgle on April 06, 2022, 12:43:09 PMNver Mind the Baubles, a TV doco which focusses on a less remembered event (a Christmas benefit they played for striking firemen), and thus gets some fresh stories and thoughts out of them (they're all in it apart from Matlock)

And Vicious I presume, even though he'd replaced Matlock by that point. I have heard of this documentary but have never seen it. Sounds interesting anyway.

Egyptian Feast

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Jockice on April 06, 2022, 06:13:19 PMAnd Vicious I presume, even though he'd replaced Matlock by that point. I have heard of this documentary but have never seen it. Sounds interesting anyway.

JesusAndYourBush

I know someone who was there, but at the evening gig not the matinee.  Sid spat on him.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Jockice on April 05, 2022, 02:22:58 PMApparently the promo pics show the Pistols giving middle finger insults. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it always the two-finger v-sign insult used in Britain in the 70s?

Quote from: SteveDave on April 05, 2022, 02:33:26 PMI think these were some behind the scenes shots...

Yes, they were. They spotted a pap when they were filming and were gesturing to him.*

* or her! You never know these days!!

Twonty Gostelow

The fact that Boyle didn't want Melvyn Hayes to play Malcolm McLaren just shows he hasn't got a clue.

Noodle Lizard

It's always strange to me when a big budget biopic can't seem to find a decent actor who also looks/sounds like the real people. That Urban Myths thing did a far better job of casting the Pistols/McClaren, as far as I can tell, and some real cheapo Channel 5 docudrama managed to get a far more convincing Freddie Mercury than Bohemian Rhapsody. I understand needing star power at the expense of accuracy, but surely none of these Pistol actors are famous enough to draw in a crowd.

They haven't even got the hair right. It must be a conscious decision.

imitationleather

Quote from: SteveDave on April 05, 2022, 02:33:26 PMI think these were some behind the scenes shots...

That's supposed to be Sid on the left...I hear the cunt playing him laughing and saying "Ohhh that's so random!"

I've never been as happy as those guys.

Twonty Gostelow

Reminds me of the reaction I got when I put my copy of Camel's 'The Snow Goose' in the Sixth Form Common Room CD player.

daf

SteveDave

Please settle a furious family argument (in my head) Is it the actor Kevin Eldon playing Reg Grundy or is it Graham Fellowes?

iamcoop

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

phantom_power

It isn't listed on IMDB. Didn't recognise Maisie Williams as Jordan though

Endicott

Could it be David Cann? Actually another vote for Eldon from me.

I can't really stand all the incredibly prescient 'we are gonna destroy everything' dialogue. No one talks like that, not even Malcolm McLaren.

kalowski

Quote from: Endicott on May 05, 2022, 06:09:54 PMI can't really stand all the incredibly prescient 'we are gonna destroy everything' dialogue. No one talks like that, not even Malcolm McLaren.

Yeah, there's just no way that Steve Jones was making grand speeches about smashing the system in 1976. He may have had some vague notion of doing something disruptive and exciting with his music, but he wasn't some sort of postulating revolutionary firebrand.

I haven't read Jones' book, but it sounds like the dialogue is based on whatever he wrote years after the fact, when he was able to contextualise everything that happened.

Why are most rock biopics written in that clumsy, benefit of hindsight style? It's ridiculous. Did Oliver Stone's The Doors teach these people nothing?

Quote from: kalowski on May 05, 2022, 06:10:14 PMWhy does everyone sounds so posh?

It appears to be set in an alternative universe where the Sex Pistols were fresh-faced Oxbridge undergraduates.

Also, the bloke playing Jones looks more like a young Danny Baker.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Head Gardener

PlanktonSideburns

Gotta say, this has got me running at the weird al film with a rose in my mouth

Ah, no. It's definitely the actor Kevin Eldon.

Twonty Gostelow

Yes, definitely Eldon. And Bill Grundy, not Reg obviously.

Glebe

Oh right it is Eldon... he does look like Fellows there though.

Fuck, this looks especially phoney spliced with the vintage footage. Not a trace of real edge, grit or reality. Load of round-faced drama students doing Green Day impressions.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I think the best thing to happen would be if everybody involved in this dies.