Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,330
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:41:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Derry Girls Series 3

Started by Fambo Number Mive, April 05, 2022, 02:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samadriel

I agree that they should have built up more to the emotional bits; the brain aneurysm thing seemed like the showrunner had just put it in because maybe it had happened in her circles when she was a kid, without providing anything earlier in the series that could turn it into a payoff. A bit incompetent, writing-wise; did we even meet her dad before he died? I was baffled when Erin's dad broke the news, because, sure, an aneurysm could happen without warning to anyone at any time, but you can't write a script that way! Testament to how great the show was, that the uneven pathos didn't sink it in my estimation.

neov1974

yeah her dad is in an earlier episode, but I only know that cos we watched it over, on first watch we felt it came out of nowhere.

Loved this in our house, as noted elsewhere extremely good performances and memorable characters, Orla, Michelle, Erin of the girls in particular, and loads of fun with Colm, Sister Michael and the other adults.

Definite shame Claire had to be managed around in the final series and once your realise that it jars, but consistently funny and even allowing for some reliance on familiar tropes by the time series 3 rolled around, still overall a modern classic