Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:11:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

TIGTONE!!!

Started by The Mollusk, April 06, 2022, 10:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mollusk

Tigtone is an Adult Swim show from a couple years back, it's been mentioned in passing on here a couple times but honestly I've been enjoying it so much it deserves a proper thread. It's an animated thing about a guy and his sidekick in mythical olde worlde times who goes on quests. It borrows a great deal from fantasy fiction tropes and particularly RPGs which are a huge inspiration on the absurdism of everything that happens.

I thought I'd be turned off by the fast pacing and how much Tigtone SHOUTS A LOT but it's great, and manages to be totally off the wall and violent without being like... well, you know, those other shitty Adult Swim shows that are off the wall and violent. It's a lot of fun and it makes me laugh a lot. Even when it's not being overly funny I find myself chuckling throughout each episode. It's clearly influenced a lot by Xavier: Renegade Angel.

The daft dialogue is one of its strongest assets and it's got a fair whack of great voice talent involved. Tigtone is brilliantly voiced by Nils Frykdahl who's the frontman for avant-metal band Sleepytime Gorilla Museum (big fan), and elsewhere you've got the likes of John DiMaggio, Bill Corbett and Trace Beaulieu from MST3K, John Waters, Neil Hamburger, Fred Willard, Paul Reubens and, bizarrely, Lucy Davis has a recurring role!

I enjoyed it a lot from the very beginning but a good jumping in point is maybe the centaur episode (s1 e6) which had me howling at certain bits. Both seasons are on All 4, by the way!

Blumf

Quote from: The Mollusk on April 06, 2022, 10:58:04 PMI thought I'd be turned off by the fast pacing and how much Tigtone SHOUTS A LOT but it's great, and manages to be totally off the wall and violent without being like... well, you know

Yeah, it looks like it'd be utter shit for cunts, but actually ends up being quite engaging in it's OTT action.

Can't figure out if I like the animation style or not. Doesn't detract, at least.

Mister Six

Only watched a few episodes, but they were fun and I'll go back to it. I have a low tolerance for the shouty, LOLVIOLENCE end of the Adult Swim spectrum, but there are plenty of proper jokes, strange loops of logic and lovely, daft turns of phrase (a couple of which I've just googled because I'll fuck them up if I try to recite any by memory):

Quote"She was beautiful... as beautiful as she was deadly as the stars themselves!"

"Please, Adventurer... will you not save our sun? Our only hope lies with it. Our other only hope lies with you!"

There's also a good gag in which Tigtone, in possession of a dagger that can bring people back to life if you stab their corpses, declines to resurrect an ally in case the dagger doesn't work and she stays dead: "We just can't risk it."

It's not as off the wall or as clever as as Xavier: Renegade Angel, but fans of that will enjoy this, I think.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Blumf on April 07, 2022, 12:11:30 AMCan't figure out if I like the animation style or not. Doesn't detract, at least.

Again referring back to Xavier I think it works well in a sort of intentionally garish and unreal way. The way the characters run about and how the "camera" moves are often part of the humour for me.

The facial movements in particular strongly remind me of RPGs from I dunno like 10-15 years ago where cutscenes were aiming for more realism but the character's mouths just weren't wrapping around the words properly.

This video is good fun, showing how they used motion tracking for all the face movements which results in how hideous and funny it frequently looks:

madhair60

Want to echo the people saying it seems like it would be tedious but is actually pretty good and funny

The Mollusk

Quote from: madhair60 on April 07, 2022, 11:17:38 AMWant to echo the people saying it seems like it would be tedious but is actually pretty good and funny

I was actually meaning to message you and ask if you'd seen it as I thought it would be your thing. But here we both are in the thread and all's right with the world.