Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:39:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Supper’s Ready

Started by shiftwork2, April 07, 2022, 12:17:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shiftwork2

I've been oddly obsessed by this for the past few weeks.  For those that don't know it's the 23 minute second side of 1972 Genesis's Foxtrot.  I'm not even a particular fan of the band, although I have a soft spot for their prog phase.

Marc Riley got kudos for playing it.  But I'm not sure about him.

Anyone care about Supper's Ready?  It is an epic prog legend supposedly.  Say it's a cut-and-shut medley, it's ok you're amongst friends.

famethrowa

I'm going to attempt to get into it. I've had that album for 30 years, and Watcher of the Skies is one of my top ten favourite songs ever, but Supper's Ready has never stuck for me. I think part of the problem is it doesn't have a proper start or finish? Anyway, I'm going to do my darndest to take it all in.

shiftwork2

I'm not setting homework.  However if you like Watcher Of The Skies it may be worth the push.  It does start and end on the same notes.

Love it. Some magical moments throughout.

PaulTMA

Sean McGuire should have followed up 'Today's The Day' with a Britpopped-up version of 'Willow Farm'.

Pete23

Oh man, I love it, still gives me shivers when it goes into the end bit. Although lyrically it's all over the place it's a great example of PG taking lofty themes (greek mythology, the Bible etc) and mixing them with more day to day things, foreshadowing the whole of The Lamb.

Love it, beautifully structured from start to end, a real epic.  Prefer Phil's vocals though from the concerts around '76-'77.

Here's a favourite performance of mine, giving it everything he's got particularly during the Apocalypse in 9/8 section (he seemed to mellow out his vocals on subsequent concerts in the tour, so maybe he was wrecking his voice).

https://youtu.be/vEqGmu6x9vs?t=4404

Twonty Gostelow

I heard the Seconds Out version before Foxtrot so it took me a while to appreciate the original. Both great, and definitely in my Top 10 of 20-minute prog tracks. Something in 1970s UK prog seems to encapsulate the last traces of classical England and prelapsarian innocence, and I think I just turned into Stuart Maconie.

PaulTMA

There is something extra about the Seconds Out version - Willow Farm is far more insane with Phil on vocals, plus Apocalypse In 9/8 concludes in a far more spectacular manner.  It's comparable to how In The Cage evolved live from being relatively stiff on the record.

famethrowa

Was listening to the original, and I'm struck by how 80s Phil's drumming sounds in places... in 1972 you had Bonzo pumping up Motown styles, or Billy Bruford clattering away on the jazz snare, but the fills and feels from Phil sound quite modern. Not sure if that's a good thing or not, it just is.

iamcoop

Selling England By The Pound will always be my favourite Genesis record but Foxtrot is indeed fantastic.

I particularly like Supper's Ready because it's an epic track that never feels like a slog.

(For comparison I was listening to Gates of Delirium by Yes the other day and even though it's roughly the same length as Supper's Ready it felt a lot longer). Supper's Ready feels relatively deft in comparison.

dontpaintyourteeth

Best album for me is probably "the first two sides of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway"

But yeah maybe the best side-long prog epic with the possible exception of "A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers"

SweetPomPom

Suppers Ready, Watcher, The Knife are in heavy rotation here at the mo. I think Hackett's touring Foxtrot + other old stuff later this year.

itsfredtitmus

outside of the entire thing being stunning the jaunty willow's farm bit has been of particular obsession for a while because how many bands' sound you can trace, if you want to, to it (split enz, cardiacs and probably some roxy music and supertramp too) - bit different from the bonzo type vaudeville as its less jolly jug-band n poetry and more art-school