Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:37:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Birds of a Feather

Started by Fambo Number Mive, April 07, 2022, 08:59:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McDead

But this woeful shit was definitely on the BBC at some point, right? It did a Men Behaving Badly and flipped channels, right? Please help my burned out Covid brain

jobotic

Fucking drivel and quite depressing at the time.

WHat were their husbands banged up for? Something wholesome and Essex like armed robbery or road rage murders?

buttgammon

Quote from: McDead on April 08, 2022, 01:05:45 PMBut this woeful shit was definitely on the BBC at some point, right? It did a Men Behaving Badly and flipped channels, right? Please help my burned out Covid brain

It was on the BBC in the 90s for sure. It was part of a whole spectrum of depressing back-to-school BBC One stuff my mum watched, from Antiques Roadshow to Ballykissangel.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: kalowski on April 08, 2022, 11:29:22 AMHang on, the final series of this shit was made during the pandemic? This bollocks was on when I was a kid.

There was a big gap between the show ending and coming back but that's not unheard of. For instance, The Liver Birds came back after nearly two decades and The Rag Trade after 12 years. Also, consider the Beeb bringing back Open All Hours and what it tried a few years back with a sitcom season, which gave us a new version of Porridge.

BOF was an incredibly popular series and although it's a show that I don't particularly wish to revisit, some elements were very strong.

Also, Peter Tilbury was one of the writers - I'm a big fan of his.

idunnosomename

Feather like a tail feather like a bird's tail

Ignatius_S

Quote from: jobotic on April 08, 2022, 01:07:34 PMFucking drivel and quite depressing at the time.

WHat were their husbands banged up for? Something wholesome and Essex like armed robbery or road rage murders?

Armed robbery.

petril

Quote from: Ignatius_S on April 08, 2022, 01:04:03 PMYeah - and the two being out of prison allowed them to shake out the series; wouldn't say it worked flawlessly but did freshen things up.

I think you're right about Chris also going back to prison with Darryl - IIRC, he was actually innocent. Pretty sure that he was going straight and was genuinely sorry for being such a bad husband to Sharon.

Pretty sure that Tracey said to Darryl that she wouldn't be waiting for him again - in the ITV version they had definitely split up for good. Have a feeling the latter was killed off.

I weirdly remember squeeing that when Daryl went back to prison he got sent to HMP Slade

poodlefaker

I've had to go and look up the theme tune because I could've sworn it was quite a lighthearted song that went "birds of a feather, flock together" - Bit like the Home and Away theme

wtf am I thinking of?

idunnosomename

So here's the one been botherin' me forever
Why do birds of a feather flock together

neveragain

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 08, 2022, 01:16:40 PMGawd bless 'em

They were never portrayed as loveable salt-of-the-earth Delboyish criminals, as far as I can recall the husbands in prison angle was handled more akin to a drama than a sitcom.

It was shite, I will not deny, but not After Life awful, more Duty Free awful.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Could never get into this, it's all a bit too southern English for me to really identify with or care about. Some of the character archetypes like Dorian don't really exist in t'north.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: poodlefaker on April 08, 2022, 02:41:22 PMI've had to go and look up the theme tune because I could've sworn it was quite a lighthearted song that went "birds of a feather, flock together" - Bit like the Home and Away theme

wtf am I thinking of?

Must be this

https://youtu.be/nV0Iob4nTJw

petril

Quote from: neveragain on April 08, 2022, 04:07:57 PMThey were never portrayed as loveable salt-of-the-earth Delboyish criminals, as far as I can recall the husbands in prison angle was handled more akin to a drama than a sitcom.

It was shite, I will not deny, but not After Life awful, more Duty Free awful.

yeah, Chris was a bit more aloof and naïve seeming, but Daryl had that undertone of something worse that Trace couldn't see. and then fraud etc

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Icehaven on April 08, 2022, 09:51:25 AMWhich begat which, the cliche of Essex girls being called Sharon and Tracy or BOAF doing it?

It was popularized and possibly even started by Keith Waterhouse, who regularly featured two young working class women Sharon & Tracy (or Shar and Tray) talking about current affairs in his columns in the Mirror and then the Mail, long before the sitcom. They was a bit fick and lazee - if they said 'lovely' or 'apparently' etc Waterhouse would transcribe it as lovelee and apparentlee, which doesn't make any fucking sense because that's phonetically correct, but haha they're common and stupid.

jamiefairlie

It's not phonetically correct in many accents.

Twonty Gostelow

Well, you know what I meant - it's not phonetically incorrect. They're London/Essex girls who say 'sunnink' for something, but 'apparentlee' for apparently makes no sense.

Andy147

The "final series" without Pauline Quirke was a one-off Christmas special made 3 years after the last full series.

Incidentally, the theme tune is an old Irving Berlin song.

jobotic

Quote from: Andy147 on April 08, 2022, 09:39:06 PMIncidentally, the theme tune is an old Irving Berlin song.

I knew that and totally forgot.

Funnily enough if you search for it on youtube Linda Robson doesn't pop up

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=what%27ll+i+do

Flouncer

It's a shame sick as a pike is no longer with us - he co-wrote S05E08 with his writing partner Gary Howe. Probably not his greatest comedy achievement but he might have had something interesting to say about it.

imitationleather

COVID giveth*, COVID taketh away**.

*Birds of a Feather being cancelled

**sick as a pike :'(

Harry Badger

There is literally no way I am going to read three pages about this cack other than to say:

1. The only thing I can remember about it was a scene where Pauline Quirke did the Harry Worth window gag.

2. For some years, Pauline Quirke's laughing face featured on the back of Cardiff buses advertising some kind of acting school for presumably aresehole kids.

jenna appleseed

Nobody else ever did or witnessed other kids doing the primary school playground thing of one person sing the theme tune while other goes 'ting' at points in the lines, so when it gets to a certain line it sounds like  farting?

Icehaven

Quote from: Icehaven on April 08, 2022, 07:32:18 AMI'm sure I saw an advert on the back of a bus years ago for a Pauline Quirke stage school, and thinking it must be a joke or that I was hallucinating.

Edit: Nope it's real.
https://www.pqacademy.com/

Quote from: Harry Badger on April 09, 2022, 02:32:32 AM2. For some years, Pauline Quirke's laughing face featured on the back of Cardiff buses advertising some kind of acting school for presumably aresehole kids.

I KNEW I DIDN'T DREAM IT.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Icehaven on April 09, 2022, 06:50:47 PMI KNEW I DIDN'T DREAM IT.

But you did also dream it......and were extremely aroused

Fambo Number Mive

The first episode seemed to think someone having a name other people found difficult to pronounce was hilarious. This was the main joke in the court scene where the husbands were sentenced.

Icehaven

Quote from: jamiefairlie on April 09, 2022, 08:09:09 PMBut you did also dream it......and were extremely aroused

Well I'm only human.

badaids

Quote from: Icehaven on April 08, 2022, 07:32:18 AMI'm sure I saw an advert on the back of a bus years ago for a Pauline Quirke stage school, and thinking it must be a joke or that I was hallucinating.

Edit: Nope it's real.
https://www.pqacademy.com/

I hope that every PQ Academy has a giant revolving golden statue of Pauline which the student's must pledge their allegiance to Pauline and the Papadopoulopoulos family lineage.

QDRPHNC

The only memory I have of this show is of the neighbour describing a banker or something she's been dating and saying "... and lately his accounts have started to... harden." and the studio audience having a collective brain aneurysm such was the bawdiness of the double entendre.

dissolute ocelot

Someone I know briefly worked at a Pauline Quirke academy and as soon as he got the job, a mutual friend warned us of this and told us all on no account to mock the Quirke.

It sounds like it was a good laugh for the kids, but fuck knows what you pay for the privilege of Quirke endorsed tuition and it's all part of excluding poor kids from the arts.