Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 10:42:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Gilbert Gottfried

Started by Ham Bap, April 12, 2022, 08:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Nehamkin

Very sad. Have been listening to a lot of his old Howard Stern appearances lately and dipping in and out of his podcast. Just a joyful person to listen to. RIP.

selectivememory

Ah, man. He was hilarious.

This is one of the funniest clips ever:

Old Nehamkin

up_the_hampipe

No way! Fuck.

There's a great documentary about him called 'Gilbert' if anyone hasn't seen it. I feel awful for his wife and kids, they seemed so lovely.

QDRPHNC

Harry Badger

Ah shit. He was a seriously funny fucker.

Indomitable Spirit

THE CURSE OF NORM MACDONALD LIVE

Indomitable Spirit

studpuppet

Best bit of Penn & Teller's doc:

The Lurker

stonkers

Gilbert got freed (from life)

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Gilbert's Lifestopper

"I've just got back from the funeral."
"Was he buried?"
"No, Gilbert got fried"

It's what he would have wanted. I assume.

Aaaaw :(

He was so good at getting people to that cathartic state of just letting go and laughing for the sheer joy of it, keeping them there until they couldn't even remember why they started in the first place.

Indomitable Spirit

75% of the people around this table gone in the last 6 months. The remaining 25% is a massive nonce. Life is very unfair.

Noodle Lizard

Jesus Christ, that's unexpected. He was incredibly funny (especially in interviews/TV/radio appearances) and the documentary really endeared him to me. Seemed like a really decent sort.

I'm kicking myself that I missed a couple of opportunities to see him live out of laziness.

Twit 2

Quote from: selectivememory on April 12, 2022, 08:33:29 PMAh, man. He was hilarious.

This is one of the funniest clips ever:

An absolute must-watch.

Noodle Lizard

Yeah, that clip is hysterical! Thanks for sharing.

privatefriend

Fell into a vat of hot oil, shame.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on April 12, 2022, 09:19:13 PMI'm kicking myself that I missed a couple of opportunities to see him live out of laziness.

I've always enjoyed Gottfried on whatever he's been on, he was one of them 'funny bones' guys, just naturally gifted in making people laugh, always a great guest on anything. So I checked out his stand-up CDs and it was basically him telling public domain jokes. It was a bit of a shocker really, he was telling jokes that I heard on Mike Reid videos in the 80s, didn't really think that kind of thing went on much in America.

Hearing this news was a punch to the gut, but I found myself laughing out loud almost immediately at just the thought of his Jerry Seinfeld imitation.

Gilbert Gottfried's Amazing Colossal Podcast is an absolute treasure house of off-colour jokes and celebrity anecdotes, an amazing resource for anyone interested in American showbiz.

RIP Gilbert you maniac!

Mobius

fuck sake :( such a funny bloke

Mr Banlon

Fucking hell ! Gilbert Gottfried's Amazing Colossal Podcast was my regular Monday podcast listen.

Jumblegraws

Fuck. Sound of my childhood and sound of a respectable amount of my adulthood too.

I blame Boris clinging on, clearly Gottfried had a heart attack and died of "not surprise".

Rolf Lundgren

So sad to hear this. Horrible news. I always imagined he'd make it to about 95 and occasionally turn up at award ceremonies to say something inappropriate. He was gearing up to be that elder statesman like a Don Rickles who could say whatever he wanted and get away with it.

I've been listening to his podcast for years and did notice for a while it had been playing classic episodes. Never thought it was because he was ill. Thoroughly recommend anyone delving into the back catalogue and starting at random.

His enthusiasm for Burt Lancaster's The Swimmer made me love that film too. And his fondness for recalling his time as one of the "resident zanies" on Alan Thicke's talk show "Thicke of the Night" never got dull, even on the umpteenth telling that usually ended with him launching into the theme tune. And now I'm remembering him doing his George Jessel and singing "My Mother's Eyes". Man, such a funny guy all the time. Will be very sorely missed.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Awful news. As you've all said, he was just so inherently funny. I've spent so many happy hours listening to his fantastically scurrilous podcast.

I hope he's up there right now merrily throwing wedges of citrus fruit at Cesar Romero's bare arse...

Keebleman

Lord.  His podcast was the only one I supported with cash.

Bad Ambassador

Gilbert does his Andrew Dice Clay impression for Dick Van Dyke.

up_the_hampipe

Still don't know the cause yet, but I hope he got the chance to go out the way he wanted: