Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,469
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:44:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Gilbert Gottfried

Started by Ham Bap, April 12, 2022, 08:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twonty Gostelow

Another fan of the podcast here. "Died after a long illness" although I think he was doing gigs last month, so maybe his illness took a catastrophic turn.

Keebleman

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on April 12, 2022, 10:32:03 PMAnother fan of the podcast here. "Died after a long illness" although I think he was doing gigs last month, so maybe his illness took a catastrophic turn.

On the podcast's FB page someone said they attended a gig recently and Gilbert had to be helped onto the stage.  But on the podcast he was sounding more engaged than he had done for a while.

Video Game Fan 2000

RIP

Fans of forum favourites Sutcliffe Jugend will surely have appreciated his Bill Cosby impersonation.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Keebleman on April 12, 2022, 10:37:18 PM
Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on April 12, 2022, 10:32:03 PMAnother fan of the podcast here. "Died after a long illness" although I think he was doing gigs last month, so maybe his illness took a catastrophic turn.
On the podcast's FB page someone said they attended a gig recently and Gilbert had to be helped onto the stage.  But on the podcast he was sounding more engaged than he had done for a while.

That's sad to hear. He'd looked more frail to me for at least a year so I guess it was something he never wanted people to know about.
I still haven't seen the doc and don't know where I can get it. The whole thing with commentary was on Vimeo a while ago, but I wanted to see it properly first. (It's on US Prime, but not UK.)

I only just found out that his stage voice wasn't his real voice.

Noodle Lizard

A combination of a heart condition and a form of muscular dystrophy, it seems.

McChesney Duntz

He had a brief, somewhat infamous run as a cast member on SNL in '80-'81, an epoch he never regarded without shame and embarrassment, but, truth be told, he did fine work there when given the chance...

Bernice

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on April 12, 2022, 10:56:39 PMA combination of a heart condition and a form of muscular dystrophy, it seems.

Serious questions will have to be asked of Catherine Zeta Jones

up_the_hampipe

His classic run from Hollywood Squares:

DrGreggles

Ah man.
Got to see him live a couple a couple of times and both times I left in pain from laughing so hard.
There was absolute hysteria in the audience.

A relentlessly funny performer.
RIP

QDRPHNC

Keebleman

The podcast really did feel like a community, which is what makes this so tough.  Yes, Frank Santopadre did 90% of the talking and 100% of the preparation, but without GG being there I don't think the ACP can continue.

Noodle Lizard

I've been "aware" of his podcast for years, but I never really listened to it. Now's as good a time as any to start. Any particular episodes to dive in for?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

The Chevy Chase episode is great.

A few I remember really enjoying: Dick Van Dyke, Jimmy Webb, Alan Alda, Patton Oswalt and the very first episode with Dick Cavett.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Oh yes, Dick Cavett was the ideal Gilbert guest. Anecdotes galore.

Keebleman

Bruce Vilanch, Artie Lange, Richard Kind, the Christmas ones with Mario Cantone.

Ferris

I was just saying how great he was and recommending his version of The Aristocrats to a friend the other day.

There's a part in it mid way through, where someone in the front row looks up at the ceiling and he threatens to start the entire routine over "or it won't make sense". Completely improvised moment, but it still slays me every time. Genuinely one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Keebleman on April 13, 2022, 12:35:33 AMBruce Vilanch, Artie Lange, Richard Kind, the Christmas ones with Mario Cantone.

Yes, Richard Kind and Mario Cantone both did a few, and they were always good value.
I enjoyed Weird Al Yankovic's two appearances, and Rupert Holmes's too, both self-deprecating and funny. His duet with Holmes on the Pina Colada song was fun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdhr8vXQRj4 - about 1 hr 21 mins in.

shoulders

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on April 12, 2022, 10:16:47 PMSo sad to hear this. Horrible news. I always imagined he'd make it to about 95 and occasionally turn up at award ceremonies to say something inappropriate. He was gearing up to be that elder statesman like a Don Rickles who could say whatever he wanted and get away with it.

Same here.

Rip Gilbert

Jumblegraws

I think Gottfried must bring out any latent feelings of Jewish self-hatred I have, because his Stern Show feud with a German daughter of Holocaust survivors is for me one of the funniest things ever broadcast. For background, the woman worked as a nanny of sorts for Amy Heckerling and was sent to pick up Gilbert when he was visiting LA to dinner with the director. When the nanny told Gottfried about her parents, he compulsively and without shame began making fun of her. This led to her calling into the Stern Show on three separate occasions to berate Gilmour, who just goaded her even more each time. On the third occassion, Heckerling was actually guesting on the show, and Gottfried and the nanny both phone in. I have (non-Jewish) friends who can't listen to it because they find it too tasteless, but my reaction to it is much like Stern's. The bit in this segment at about 3m30s in when Gottfied mocks her effusive praise of Heckerling has had me in hysterics in the past.

Noodle Lizard

There's a clip of him on Stern with a (probably hoax) caller named "N***a What" which had me laughing far harder than it should've. I can't find it anywhere anymore, sadly, but Gilbert's reactions were outrageously funny.

George White

Quote from: Keebleman on April 12, 2022, 11:36:05 PMThe podcast really did feel like a community, which is what makes this so tough.  Yes, Frank Santopadre did 90% of the talking and 100% of the preparation, but without GG being there I don't think the ACP can continue.
I was thinking of who could take over as cohost.
Dana Gould, maybe, but he lives in LA.

RHX

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on April 13, 2022, 09:21:52 AMThere's a clip of him on Stern with a (probably hoax) caller named "N***a What" which had me laughing far harder than it should've. I can't find it anywhere anymore, sadly, but Gilbert's reactions were outrageously funny.

That whole clip, starting with Gilbert being unable to answer trivia about himself and roasting Tom Cruise's appearance on In The Actor's Studio going into that caller is one of those things that I can't help but laugh at every single time I hear it. I think I have a copy of it on a hard drive somewhere but it's been a long time.

Found it: https://podtrash.com/specials/2018/10/the-best-of-gilbert-gottfried/ (starts at 51:46)

Joe Qunt

Rest in peace to a brilliant, funny man.

Head Gardener

Head Gardener

Keebleman

Quote from: George White on April 13, 2022, 10:11:54 AMI was thinking of who could take over as cohost.
Dana Gould, maybe, but he lives in LA.

For at least the last year Gilbert was living in Florida, and before that the pandemic meant it all had to be done via Zoom, so that wouldn't be an issue.

I am sure Frank will continue with a similarly themed podcast and it will be perfectly enjoyable and probably more professional and thorough than GGACP, and it will definitely have the support of all the fans of the current show, but without the John McGiver impressions, the "Oh THANK you!"s, the demented singing, the Lon Chaney Jr advocacy and everything else that Gilbert brought to the show, it won't be anything like what we've lost.

George White

True. But I think before that the New Yorkiness of it was part of the show's charm.

BTW I was reminded of Gilbert because John McGiver's son, Boris McGiver plays Rhys Darby's dad in Our Flag Means Death, and though his voice isn't quite like his father's, because he's playing a British arsehole (like his father often did), he cannot but help channel his da.

Keebleman

One of Gilbert's recurring obsessions was Papillon Soo Soo, the actress best known for (actually, only known for) her appearance in Full Metal Jacket, playing the prostitute who promises Matthew Modine she will "love you long time."  Apparently she is working in London these days as a physical therapist.  I wonder if she's heard the news?