Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 05:52:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Russian Doll - series 2 [split topic]

Started by StewartLeehaslethimselfgo, April 20, 2022, 10:37:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ja'moke

Probably should start a new thread for it. But yeah, I can't wait to start watching. I loved the first season and this second season is getting great reviews. I'm a sucker for time travel shit.

Memorex MP3

Quote from: Ja'moke on April 20, 2022, 11:35:14 AMProbably should start a new thread for it. But yeah, I can't wait to start watching. I loved the first season and this second season is getting great reviews. I'm a sucker for time travel shit.
77 from 19 reviews on Metacritic suggests a fairly mixed response?

Wasn't as keen as some on season 1 but I like Lyonne so I'll check this out too I'm sure; might even prefer a bit of a messier season tbh.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on April 20, 2022, 11:46:01 AM77 from 19 reviews on Metacritic suggests a fairly mixed response?

Ah, the couple of reviews I'd read, from people whose tastes I usually trust, like Alan Sepinwall, spoke highly of it.

Mister Six

Shouldn't this be in Comedy Chat? I'm looking forward to it regardless. Saw them filming it last year (or the year before?) under the cover name "Black Gumball". The assistants who were trying to direct people out of shot maintained that the show was nothing to do with Russian Doll, but you can't hide Natasha Lyonne's mane.

PlanktonSideburns

Would happily watch just footage of Natasha Lyonne stomping about New York smoking fags

Two episodes in, liking this so far

Like how now that she knows that crazy things can happen, she just rolls with it

Rev+

I really need to be sold on a second series of this.  Loved the first one, but it felt like a one-and-done thing, with a conclusive ending.  Unless this series is magnificent I'll remember it that way.

The Giggling Bean

Quote from: Rev+ on April 20, 2022, 11:55:59 PMI really need to be sold on a second series of this.  Loved the first one, but it felt like a one-and-done thing, with a conclusive ending.  Unless this series is magnificent I'll remember it that way.

I really enjoyed the first season but I feel the same. It said everything it needed to. Also, there's been a 3 year gap between series and the momentum of interest has gone now. I felt the same about "The end of the fucking world" never bothered with the second series of that.

Bartholomew J Krishna

I will continue to watch this as long as Natasha Lyonne keeps up her captivating Rodney Dangerfield impersonation.

Ja'moke

I've watched four episodes. It's definitely not as engaging as the first season, but I could watch Natasha Lyonne wandering around endlessly.

Sebastian Cobb

I only became aware of this series at the start of the week due to the heavy promotion of S2 so jumped into S1 which I really loved.

I'm enjoying the second but it's taking some adjusting to since
Spoiler alert
the way it has jumped from being 'groundhog day' to 'quantum leap'
[close]
but then it took a while for me to adjust to the first and I was getting a little frustrated at first at how long the loops were as they were setting it up, and when that would get more succint to deal with the actual story, it passed quickly so hopefully I'll settle in to the second series.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Bartholomew J Krishna on April 22, 2022, 10:54:32 AMI will continue to watch this as long as Natasha Lyonne keeps up her captivating Rodney Dangerfield impersonation.

Ha I thought she sounded like she was trying to sound like a 40's PI.

dead-ced-dead

Sharlto Copley is one of my favourite working actors, so I'm very much looking forward to this.

Quote from: Ja'moke on April 22, 2022, 11:56:28 AMI've watched four episodes. It's definitely not as engaging as the first season, but I could watch Natasha Lyonne wandering around endlessly.

I agree, I enjoyed it but found it pretty confusing.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on April 22, 2022, 01:14:48 PMSharlto Copley

he kind of reminded me of a younger Harry Dean Stanton which is no bad thing!

Sebastian Cobb

Oh also was being able to ask a librarian to look stuff up like that really a common thing before google and that?

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 22, 2022, 02:24:54 PMhe kind of reminded me of a younger Harry Dean Stanton which is no bad thing!

Yes! He's like a man out of time, great additional character in this

Icehaven

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 22, 2022, 11:57:49 PMOh also was being able to ask a librarian to look stuff up like that really a common thing before google and that?

Yep definitely. I started working in public libraries about 20 years ago and we'd get people ringing us for help with crosswords.

Ja'moke

Finished it now. The last couple of episodes were fun but overall not a patch on the first season.

I've put season 1 on about 4 times when high and don't think I've ever made it past episode 3. Need to give it a go again in entirety, sober.

Ferris

Great performance and sound design, but as with a lot of these I find the constant self-mythologizing of manhattan a bit annoying. Maybe the place was once a cultural phenomenon of madness and excitement and danger, but not since about 1992.

Good though.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Ferris on April 24, 2022, 01:23:25 AMGreat performance and sound design, but as with a lot of these I find the constant self-mythologizing of manhattan a bit annoying. Maybe the place was once a cultural phenomenon of madness and excitement and danger, but not since about 1992.

I liked the way they showed that at the very end of The Deuce.

Ferris

Which I've never seen, much to my embarrassment as a Wire fanboy.

Rock hard for We Own This City though.

Bela Lugosi's Dead sounded brilliant in the first episode.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 24, 2022, 01:25:06 AMI liked the way they showed that at the very end of The Deuce.

Yeah, t'was good that.

badaids

I've started watching this.  My summary of the first episode:

"sass sass sass sass sass sass"

"sass sass sass, sass!"

"sass sass sass, sass sass sass, sass sass sass, Sass!"

Repeat for 40 minutes.

Bently Sheds

Oh man, I really enjoyed the first series, but this really struggled to keep my interest. They really glossed over the really interesting East Germany plot so that Natasha Leone could crack wise at Nazis. Then it got all super metaphysical with the baby and kind of collapsed in on itself.

I like Natasha Leone, but she was way too cocksure, smart mouthed and sassy in this to be any way sympathetic. It will be interesting to see if Netflix go for another series, especially after canning The OA after two and Archive 81 after one series...

Ferris

Oh yeah the OA, what a load of old shit that was. I'd forgotten it.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Bently Sheds on April 25, 2022, 07:38:34 PMOh man, I really enjoyed the first series, but this really struggled to keep my interest. They really glossed over the really interesting East Germany plot so that Natasha Leone could crack wise at Nazis. Then it got all super metaphysical with the baby and kind of collapsed in on itself.

I like Natasha Leone, but she was way too cocksure, smart mouthed and sassy in this to be any way sympathetic. It will be interesting to see if Netflix go for another series, especially after canning The OA after two and Archive 81 after one series...

Yeah it was a bit weird how late the bought in the East German stuff. Also don't really understand what happened towards the end,
Spoiler alert
did she really just shuttle forward in time a month to Ruth's wake and that's it?
[close]

Shaky

Finally caught up with the first series last week and jumped into the second yesterday - 3 episodes in, and it's not a patch on the original. The lack of any real concern or fear felt by Lyonne's character is a big problem.

Bently Sheds

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 27, 2022, 12:07:35 AMYeah it was a bit weird how late the bought in the East German stuff. Also don't really understand what happened towards the end,
Spoiler alert
did she really just shuttle forward in time a month to Ruth's wake and that's it?
[close]
Pretty much. I saw the ending as
Spoiler alert
just a massive Partridge Shrug. Dunt matter what you do in your wisecracking time travel escapades; nothing changes. The whole point of the show seemed to be that, ultimately, there was no point to the show. You just miss the death of the most important person in your whole life but, *sparks up menthol fag, pulls on greatcoat* "Ehhh watcha gonna do, eh?"
[close]