Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:49:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"‘Forgotten how to behave’: comics say audiences more abusive post-lockdown"

Started by BritishHobo, April 21, 2022, 06:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mippy

Quote from: Rizla on April 21, 2022, 07:39:28 PMDon't even get me started about dickheads filming with their phones, that is in the realms of pure insanity. Just imagine pulling out a camcorder at a gig in the pre-smartphone era, or standing in front of a singer in a pub or club and pointing a tape recorder mic or a camera at the stage with a soppy grin on your face like a fucking CUNT.

Someone did this at a cinema screening I was at pre-pandemic. She was sat right in front of me and occasionally would take out a camera (not a phone) to film scenes, covering up some of my view,  and when I told her it was incredibly distracting she told me to mind my own business.

I told staff and she argued with them too. If she was actually bootlegging a mediocre WWII drama itr would have bothered me less.

Bad Ambassador

I went to a John Carpenter gig and he would creepily wave his finger like the T1000 at anyone he saw filming.

Thomas

Sometimes people film at our gigs, even though no one there is famous. Nevertheless I was pleased to find a video of myself in an Italian stranger's Instagram story a few weeks ago, captioned 'ti amo sposiamoci'.

Replies From View

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on April 22, 2022, 10:41:28 AMI went to a John Carpenter gig and he would creepily wave his finger like the T1000 at anyone he saw filming.

Makes sense he'd prefer not to reference his own films.

Brian Molko once stopped a Placebo show I was at because a girl was filming/photographing it on an SLR camera with a big fuck off lens. She still wouldn't stop until he started calling her a cunt and threatened her with security and people started chucking things at her.

Irritatingly, there was a bloke stood in front of me who spent the whole gig browsing ebay for vintage tractor parts. I asked him if he minded standing behind me if he wasn't actually watching the show and he got quite cross and stood his ground. Some people really are just bafflingly self-centred.

Replies From View

Quote from: Thomas on April 22, 2022, 10:46:43 AMSometimes people film at our gigs, even though no one there is famous. Nevertheless I was pleased to find a video of myself in an Italian stranger's Instagram story a few weeks ago, captioned 'ti amo sposiamoci'.

They are obsessed with anagrams in that place.

Jockice

Quote from: The Ombudsman on April 22, 2022, 09:04:03 AMI went to see Jon Ronson recently, first time out in a long while. There was a chap at the front row who had obviously had a skinful who was pestering Jon, trying to get involved with the show. At one point Jon was calling out his Things Fell Apart team for audience recognition and this chap was acting like he was their boss, stood up with them etc. Very odd.

From the days before cameraphones but I went to see a special showing of Trainspotting followed by a Q&A with Danny Boyle and someone else involved with the production. During this some smart-arsed student type near me started ranting about how the film was crap and they'd 'sold out', seemingly entirely on the grounds that it didn't feature the bit near the end when Renton escapes with the money and is momentarily taken aback when he sees someone in a similar leather jacket to the one Begbie owned.. I mean without checking I think that is probably two sentences of the entire book - or maybe even one - yet the way this guy was talking it was as if its absence invalidated the entire movie and they really shouldn't have bothered making it.

I don't know if he was pissed or just naturally arrogant but Boyle and the other bloke were incredibly polite to him. If I'd been in their position I'd probably have told him to piss off. Personally I had him down as a bad lot when during the showing he cheered loudly - and alone - as soon as Dale Winton appeared on screen.

Rizla

Was he Dale Winton?

I was at the gym the other night and there was quite a nice sunset happening out the window, which has a view of the water with the bridges in the distance and whatnot. A number of folk were filming it, fair enough I suppose, but isn't the point of watching a sunset that you get a sense of the celestial movement, tranquility and natural wonder, a feeling of being in the moment? Cunts can't even be a good audience to nature's spectacle.

Fambo Number Mive

If he felt so strongly that that part of the book should have been included they should have tried to make their own adaptation of Trainspotting.

Rizla

I was more surprised at the Timmy Lea-ification of the Diane/Renton plotline - iirc in the book he's very concerned about lack of condom cos of AIDS. That and making Mark into a sexy boy and not a jug-eared ginger-haired misfit.

The Mollusk

Gonna go out on a limb here and say that whilst there's obviously a limit to what's acceptable - much the same as there's a limit to everything - I don't think it's that unreasonable or unusual for a generation of people living through the advent of incredible technology to feel compelled to use it to capture a little bit of the joy they're experiencing so they can look back on it with fondness or show their friends to share some semblance of the experience.

Like, obviously it's never going to look as good, but then talking about a gig to a friend isn't anywhere near as good either is it? It's pretty obvious why people do it, they're not monsters.

Icehaven

Filming technically bugs me if it's too nearby, however I can't deny it has it's uses. I was at a gig last week and thought it'd be good to have some pics and footage of it to look back at afterwards, however there were obviously loads of people with a better view and better cameras than me photographing and filming away from various angles and I knew it'd all be online within an hour of the gig finishing, so I just enjoyed it in the moment and trawled through the stuff posted on youtube/fb afterwards, which was definitely much better than I'd have got.

sutin

Quote from: Rizla on April 22, 2022, 06:16:37 PMWas he Dale Winton?

I was at the gym the other night and there was quite a nice sunset happening out the window, which has a view of the water with the bridges in the distance and whatnot. A number of folk were filming it, fair enough I suppose, but isn't the point of watching a sunset that you get a sense of the celestial movement, tranquility and natural wonder, a feeling of being in the moment? Cunts can't even be a good audience to nature's spectacle.

I'm jealous that you have such an awesome brain that you can store these wonderous things in there for the rest of your life and recall them vividly at will. I really am. If I see something beautiful like that, I will take a photo, for the same reason why i'd write a diary, or track my listening and watching habits online. I don't want to be old, remember nothing and have no record of my life to refer to, especially when our technology makes it so easy to do so.

This is a personal thing at the end of the day. If I was at a concert of my favourite band and everyone else in the audience was using their phones except me, I wouldn't care. It just doesn't bother me. That's it. And it's fair enough if comedians don't want bits of their sets filmed and put online, I completely understand. But if i'm there and another audience member is filming, I have no reason to care. It's their life innit, it's up to the performer or venue employees to police them if they want to.

sutin

Quote from: The Mollusk on April 22, 2022, 07:49:05 PMGonna go out on a limb here and say that whilst there's obviously a limit to what's acceptable - much the same as there's a limit to everything - I don't think it's that unreasonable or unusual for a generation of people living through the advent of incredible technology to feel compelled to use it to capture a little bit of the joy they're experiencing so they can look back on it with fondness or show their friends to share some semblance of the experience.

Like, obviously it's never going to look as good, but then talking about a gig to a friend isn't anywhere near as good either is it? It's pretty obvious why people do it, they're not monsters.

This is basically my attitude.

sutin

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on April 22, 2022, 11:05:32 AMIrritatingly, there was a bloke stood in front of me who spent the whole gig browsing ebay for vintage tractor parts. I asked him if he minded standing behind me if he wasn't actually watching the show and he got quite cross and stood his ground. Some people really are just bafflingly self-centred.

I'm baffled to why this would bother you or why it's self-centred. Was he forcing everyone around him into conversation about the tractor parts whilst Placebo were playing?

grainger

But you do understand that it does ruin it for other people?

Your response seems to imply "it doesn't bother me, so it shouldn't other people". If that's not what you mean, I apologise, but that seems to be the logical extension of what you're saying. To this, I say that people are not complaining here about your choice of t-shirt. I don't think it's a big ask not to have one or more bright screens held in my field of vision in a fairly dark environment when a big part of the experience is looking at what's presented in that environment.

grainger

That all said, I do enjoy watching video clips of gigs on Youtube, taken by audience members. So I am a total hypocrite, I guess.

grainger

I think the ideal solution has to be the venue or artist filming the gig and then making it available fairly inexpensively to audience members who want a memento. This means everyone can be present at the gig without either filming it or being distracted by bright screens, while everyone who wants one gets a copy. But not every artist is going to agree to this (even though it has to be better than amateur footag being taken anyway) and not every audience member will want to part with the money.

sutin

People who talk over gigs are my equivalent of this. That really pisses me off.

Kankurette

Probably belongs in Oscillations, but: I saw the Manics on the Everything Must Go tour in Leeds a while back and this gang of drunk lads were shouting all the way through Ocean Spray. As in the song about Bradfield's dead mum, which he was doing acoustically with the trumpet bloke. I wanted to strangle them. Like, can you just shut the fuck up for five minutes?

The absolute worst audience fuckwittage was at Cerys Matthews' solo gig in Manchester in 2006. There was this gang of loud obnoxious drunk women who kept shouting for Chardonnay and singing the damn song all the way through the gig, and when Cerys got round to Chardonnay she invited one of them onstage to sing it with her...and the woman completely ballsed up the words. And then they had a fight during Weightless Again, which is not exactly a fighty sort of song. Cerys was nice about it but it was clearly pissing her off; when I met her the next night in Liverpool and told her she seemed a bit more relaxed than she was at Manchester, she said it was because the women kept shouting and putting her on edge. Honourable mention to the fucking dipshit who kept screaming IN MY EAR at Sleater-Kinney in 2019 as well.

Famous Mortimer

I don't think I've ever sought out fan-shot footage of anything, because it's almost always shite or the sound is bad or it focuses on the wrong person or whatever.

My old man take is about the people who seem to be filming the entire show. To me, it doesn't seem like they're really experiencing the show, and all their memories are going to be of how it looks on their small screen rather than how it is in the moment.

I do have a terrible memory, and there are plenty of gigs I have no memory of being at that people confirm I was, but a shitty photograph or a tinny version of a song will not do much to jog that.

Cuellar

Pretty sure in the pre-camera phone years my dad would take a video camera with us (a small one, it would have been the very early 2000s) and film parts of Bert Jansch gigs, but that was only so he could try and work out the guitar parts at home later.

Rizla

Quote from: sutin on April 22, 2022, 09:11:50 PMI'm jealous that you have such an awesome brain that you can store these wonderous things in there for the rest of your life and recall them vividly at will. I really am.
You're not really are you?

It's a fucking sunset. Spoiler alert etc.

sutin

Quote from: Rizla on April 22, 2022, 11:59:12 PMYou're not really are you?

It's a fucking sunset. Spoiler alert etc.

I know what it is, I have a picture.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on April 22, 2022, 06:20:31 PMIf he felt so strongly that that part of the book should have been included they should have tried to make their own adaptation of Trainspotting.

Could've got the video and recorded over the end with him doing it.

Maybe start renting copies out of blockbuster and returning them with his own version.

Quote from: sutin on April 22, 2022, 09:18:54 PMI'm baffled to why this would bother you or why it's self-centred. Was he forcing everyone around him into conversation about the tractor parts whilst Placebo were playing?

Because if you're more interested in eBaying, you might be better served stood at the back where you can hear everything just as well but not block the view of people who are actually trying to engage with the gig?

ProvanFan

Since I was born I started to decay
Now I'm just browsing tractors on e-bay

ProvanFan

JaDanketies

Surely the people who claim they don't realise why it's annoying for the guy stood in front of you to be scrolling through eBay are the same people who you see missing most of the gig because they're doing something very important on their phone, or who you only ever invite out once because they're desperate to have a conversation while the show is on. You don't need to go to live shows if you don't understand the point of them, guys

If comedians want audiences to stop behaving so much like Shitty Banter Cunts, they should spend less of their time making joke-light podcasts encouraging people to be Shitty Banter Cunts.

If you condition your audience to believe they're having a laddish conversation with you, you reap what you sow.