Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:36:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedians at the boxing

Started by Spongo McChongo, April 23, 2022, 09:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuellar

Friend went to that Fury fight and posted a selfie with Armando Iannucci

The Mollusk

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 24, 2022, 08:27:57 PMStrap horns to their heads too, so it becomes a unicorn fight.

Wrap them up in a load of grey foam that conceals their legs and call it a narwhal fight

PowerButchi

Donyou know that legend Gary stuff on here, would the OP be an utter and total Tarquin/Quentin? It's only the fucking boxing.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on April 24, 2022, 05:17:16 PMI know boxing isn't very good for boxers, but at least they have a choice to compete unlike racehorses.
... and Derby County.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on April 24, 2022, 06:15:03 PMOnly just found out yesterday that he's a geordie!
He kept that quiet!

"Fatbelly on the oche..."  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQrzcu4BrhY

Utter Shit

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 23, 2022, 11:29:46 PMOf course it's a sport.
Adrian Lewis is an elite athlete.

Bit off topic and I'm not sure if you were actually being serious anyway, but the hand-eye co-ordination and muscle control required to be an elite darts player makes it a sport by any definition I'm aware of.

Joe Qunt

Is there a term for shite like darts that clearly require great skill, but require no athleticism and are boring as fuck to watch?

DrGreggles

Quote from: Utter Shit on April 25, 2022, 09:40:44 AMBit off topic and I'm not sure if you were actually being serious anyway, but the hand-eye co-ordination and muscle control required to be an elite darts player makes it a sport by any definition I'm aware of.

First line serious; second line less so.

Mr Banlon

Quote from: Joe Qunt on April 25, 2022, 09:53:38 AMIs there a term for shite like darts that clearly require great skill, but require no athleticism and are boring as fuck to watch?
Performative Leisure

Joe Qunt

Quote from: Mr Banlon on April 25, 2022, 11:18:12 AMPerformative Leisure

Pretty sure some cop got done for that on a park bench.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Joe Qunt on April 25, 2022, 09:53:38 AMIs there a term for shite like darts that clearly require great skill, but require no athleticism and are boring as fuck to watch?
It's really a craft, like woodwork, throwing pots, or watercolour or something. You need to be able to hold a brush/chisel/saw/blob of goo, and to stay awake.

Mr Banlon

I play snooker/pool (mostly pool) in billiard halls. Tennis players at tennis clubs don't wander off halfway through a game to get crisps and a toastie, put a couple of quid in a fruity, see how the footie is going on the big-screen, buy weed from a bloke in the bogs, then come back and finish the game.

Famous Mortimer

Game? Pastime?

Gurke and Hare

Darts is a competitive activity that involves a test of physical activity. It is a sport.

Joe Qunt

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on April 25, 2022, 02:34:20 PMDarts is a competitive activity that involves a test of physical activity. It is a sport.

It is shite.

PowerButchi

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on April 25, 2022, 02:34:20 PMDarts is a competitive activity that involves a test of physical activity. It is a sport.

Correct

Utter Shit

Quote from: Joe Qunt on April 25, 2022, 02:46:25 PMIt is shite.

You mean like 90% of 'legitimate' sports then? The Olympics is athletic pretty much by definition, but it's almost all bollocks.

Shaxberd

It's a game of coordination and skill, but the same could be said for shooting, which people rarely seem to dispute the sportyness of. I wouldn't mind seeing darts at the Olympics, especially if they brought in other skilled games like ten pin bowling or Super Smash Bros.

Twilkes

By that definition, Hungry Hippos is a sport.

I think the problem people have with it is that the physical 'activity' is incredibly short and requires almost no health or fitness development to become better at it, it's almost exclusively a test of fine dexterity.

Joe Qunt

Quote from: Utter Shit on April 25, 2022, 03:42:30 PMYou mean like 90% of 'legitimate' sports then? The Olympics is athletic pretty much by definition, but it's almost all bollocks.

Exactly. There's very few good sports and darts certainly isn't one of them.

Utter Shit

A few years ago I'd have agreed with you, but I randomly got into it one Christmas during the WDC and now I love it. The amount of ego that runs through such a mundane, low-key sport played primarily by normal people makes it so much fun. You can watch TOP TEN DARTS AGGRO videos on Youtube, and it's almost entirely people not moving out of the way quickly enough or putting their water back on the table too loudly. It's a dull pub game presented as if it's Hollywood A-listers playing the Superbowl, and that's what makes it brilliant. A very simple game expanded to a thoroughly stupid and entertaining spectacle.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I preferred it when the players were drunk and smoked cigarettes. See also: snooker.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Twilkes on April 25, 2022, 03:48:54 PMBy that definition, Hungry Hippos is a sport.

Don't think that quite tallies, because while you need the hand-eye co-ordination that I'd say is required to meet the definition of a sport, it doesn't really require great control over your body the way darts does. The muscle control required to consistently throw darts accurately is presumably very high, given that the size of the target means that the tiniest errors in aim or release are likely to have a huge impact on your performance.

I think a lot of people don't consider what defines a sport much beyond "if an obese person can do it to a high level, then it can't be a sport". By that logic football isn't a sport, given that Luke Shaw scored in the European Championship final.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 25, 2022, 04:11:58 PMI preferred it when the players were drunk and smoked cigarettes. See also: snooker.

If you ever want a good laugh, read the Wikipedia headings for ex-snooker player Bill Werbeniuk's career. Sport or not, that's a game I want to watch.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Utter Shit on April 25, 2022, 04:13:43 PMI think a lot of people don't consider what defines a sport much beyond "if an obese person can do it to a high level, then it can't be a sport". By that logic football isn't a sport, given that Luke Shaw scored in the European Championship final.

Equally, most of the knobs who go "Lol, Luke Shaw is fat!" would struggle to wheeze their way to the nearest pie shop.

Utter Shit

Fair point and it wasn't meant seriously, clearly he must be incredibly fit to be an elite footballer. He is certainly a baffling shape for an elite footballer though.

Uncle TechTip

Subbuteo is a sport under these terms - the same kind of close muscle control as darts but you have to be in shape to run round the table faster than your opponent.

How about you say if it has a set of rules and people spectate for entertainment, it's a sport.

Twilkes

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on April 25, 2022, 06:16:16 PMHow about you say if it has a set of rules and people spectate for entertainment, it's a sport.

Dogging.

I'm not sure this thread is ever going to reach a resolution.

But to bring it mildly back on-forum, it reminds me of the 'is soup a meal' stuff from Seinfeld.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Twilkes on April 25, 2022, 07:10:56 PMDogging.
Are there rules to dogging? Is there a British Association Of Dogging?