Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:43:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Prosecco Stormfront [split topic]

Started by Kankurette, April 26, 2022, 08:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

QuoteI think a lot of it comes down to good manners and good taste.

Never being too done up, but not too casual either. No loud prints, no polyester, no revealing too much skin, or wearing anything too tight fitting, no sky scraper heels, not too much makeup.

Not being too loud, being calm and not too emotional, not putting elbows on the dining table, not watching too much tv (especially not soaps and reality tv). News, artistic films, and the occasional documentary may be ok. Not owning a hot tub. Not carrying well known 'try too hard' status symbol designer handbags. Not getting drunk. Ever. Definitely not owning a tattoo! 😱

Being educated and knowledgeable about things (Love Island and crisp flavours don't count). Enjoys buying antiques, viewing old buildings and art galleries.

Not being a working-class stereotype

Fambo Number Mive

Who has the money to buy antiques these days?

Feel like getting a hot tub, tattoos and learning about crispy flavours just to annoy Mumsnet.

Kankurette

I have two degrees and I also have very strong feelings about crisps and crisp flavours. My ex-girlfriend and I bonded over our love of crisps, amongst other things.

Dr Rock

If you were truly 'classy' like The Queen, or a high court judge, you wouldn't even know what Love Island or a crisp was.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 26, 2022, 01:09:24 PMIf you were truly 'classy' like The Queen, or a high court judge, you wouldn't even know what Love Island or a crisp was.
The queen never buys antiques. In really posh circles, buying your own furniture is seen as tacky and plebeian.

EDIT: The Queen reportedly likes Dairy Milk, Lucozade, Weetabix, and Coke. (Daily Mail link.) But she's not really posh, just some jumped up German who very seldom goes to the opera or eats heron.

Catalogue Trousers

QuoteNever being too done up, but not too casual either. No loud prints, no polyester, no revealing too much skin, or wearing anything too tight fitting, no sky scraper heels, not too much makeup.

Not being too loud, being calm and not too emotional, not putting elbows on the dining table, not watching too much tv (especially not soaps and reality tv). News, artistic films, and the occasional documentary may be ok. Not owning a hot tub. Not carrying well known 'try too hard' status symbol designer handbags. Not getting drunk. Ever. Definitely not owning a tattoo! 😱

Being educated and knowledgeable about things (Love Island and crisp flavours don't count). Enjoys buying antiques, viewing old buildings and art galleries.

That's a lot of words to say 'I'm both snotty and boring.' Jaysus!

bgmnts

I think it speaks to how incredibly shallow and close minded these women are.

JaDanketies

What do we think makes someone classy on CaB? I think "being respectful to others," "keeping a calm head" and "being a snappy dresser." You'd think I could be more imaginative.

Kankurette

Having hair?

ETA: they're all having a go at Tom Daley for opposing the ban on trans swimmers. He's already on their shitlist because he and his partner used a surrogate, and Mumsnetters hate gay men who use surrogates.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Kankurette on June 27, 2022, 11:42:30 AMHaving hair?

ETA: they're all having a go at Tom Daley for opposing the ban on trans swimmers. He's already on their shitlist because he and his partner used a surrogate, and
Mumsnetters hate gay men who use surrogates.

FTFY

Kankurette

It is rather odd that they don't get as angry at straight couples who use surrogates, yes.

Des Wigwam

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on June 27, 2022, 11:42:26 PMFTFY

Is that a common theme? I would have thought they love the gays. I would have thought they loved the sass not to mention how clean they are.

Honestly - the mumsnetters I have met in real life have been pretty awful but came across as preferring their sons to be gay than go off with some whore. It is a small sample size admittedly.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Des Wigwam on June 28, 2022, 11:03:29 AMIs that a common theme? I would have thought they love the gays. I would have thought they loved the sass not to mention how clean they are.

Honestly - the mumsnetters I have met in real life have been pretty awful but came across as preferring their sons to be gay than go off with some whore. It is a small sample size admittedly.

I think the way Mumsnet talks about gay men is quite homophobic, but in a "respectable" middle class way. On one hand there is some degree of cooing and "I'd rather my son..." as you say, which, let's be honest is still a form of othering. Cooing is a way you'd treat a pet or a baby, not a fully grown man.

They also use gay men as tools in their transphobia. "All of my gay friends agree that this is a hateful ideology."

But on the other hand, as Kankurette says, they're far more judgmental. Like the way they sneer at pride events, or the kinds of costumes worn at pride ("what's all that about, eh?") and they're also a lot more judgmental about gay men who used a surrogate than straight or lesbian couples.

It's not as naked as their transphobia, but it's there.

MojoJojo

So they've had to close new registrations. Apparently been having a lot of trolling the last few days, and the speculation is that the "upgrade" either forgot all the old banned user information or it's easy to avoid bans now, and trolls have worked this out.

Kankurette

Yeah, a lot of banned users have been re-registering. Of course, the gendercritters will blame it on ~TRAs~ even though most trans people wouldn't touch that site with a barge pole.

And they are very homophobic. It's pretty insidious, they're not ranting about poofs and faggots but they can get quite unpleasant when Pride is mentioned. I know some of the FWR regulars are lesbians (and I had some fuckwit Tory claim that Darren Grimes can't be far right because he's gay), but it is a very straight site.

hamfist

There's a posting pattern on the old mother's network where an op asks a question, then others follow up with an answer but the answers are all the same thing over and over.

OP: What's that plant that smells of cum ?

RagingQueef69: Is it ornamental pear ?

NannyMoon: It's ornamental pear

Boner: we have those in our road, ornamental pear

AnotherMum: +1 for ornamental pear

It seems really redundant and it doesn't happen in this lovely place. but it's rife over there.

My awkward question: is it uh a woman thing ?

#cancelled

imitationleather

It's because of the way their stupid forum is laid out. It's far more like a Q&A thing than a discussion, with the OP always at the top.

gilbertharding

Quote from: hamfist on June 30, 2022, 03:57:51 PMThere's a posting pattern on the old mother's network where an op asks a question, then others follow up with an answer but the answers are all the same thing over and over.

OP: What's that plant that smells of cum ?

RagingQueef69: Is it ornamental pear ?

NannyMoon: It's ornamental pear

Boner: we have those in our road, ornamental pear

AnotherMum: +1 for ornamental pear

It seems really redundant and it doesn't happen in this lovely place. but it's rife over there.

My awkward question: is it uh a woman thing ?

#cancelled

Dunno. I used to like the format of the old popbitch message board (or the very similar bobpitch message board, where everything was like a tree, so you could reply to any answer. It's not like that though, is it?

Quote from: Kankurette on June 28, 2022, 01:03:06 PMI know some of the FWR regulars are lesbians

Gay men are more misogynistic then straight men in there, also a gay man who supports trans people is the worst - they hate Owen Jones more than anything in the world.

Kankurette

Because a lot of Mumsnetters are either thick or can't be bothered reading the thread, hence why you get several posts saying 'OP, do the thing' long after OP has updated to say she's done the thing.

An example of as long as you hate the trans you can do no wrong.

This is from halfway down a thread in FWR about how amazing Baroness Nicolson is for her letter saying how much she dislikes seeing the pride flag on Regent's Street.

Kankurette

Oh Christ. They really are thick. There's having an opinion, and there's actively acting on that opinion to take other people's rights away.

Fun fact: Mother Theresa was actually a pretty terrible person. Believing that suffering was good for her patients. Amazing.

Kankurette

Jordan Peterson is good for women's rights. Jordan. Fucking. Peterson.

Some posters are calling it out but there's the usual 'he's being taken out of context' crap.

Pink Gregory

If Pordan Jeterson can be apparently be taken out of context so much then maybe that's something he has to look at.

JaDanketies

It seems like the logic of some of these guys is, if you're a transphobe, you're automatically a GBOL. Your character hinges on whether or not you're mean about trans women.

jobotic

He didn't speak up for JK Rowling

phantom_power

"keen on women's rights"? What sort of phrasing is that? Odd fucking phrasing, that's what.

Kankurette

Women's rights = not thinking trans women are women in Mumsnetland, so by that logic many of the conservatives who helped overturn Roe vs Wade support women's rights, as do ISIS, Vladimir Putin, and that guy who threatened to shoot up a dictionary.

Since when has Peterson ever supported feminists anyway? I always got the impression he didn't like us. His fans don't. I've said it before on here but Phil Hartley, the bassist out of Space, is a Peterson fanboy and he's very into all those alt-right types - he had an enormous go at me for slagging off Ben Shapiro - and IIRC he was pretty anti-trans as well. I remember he once posted something about 'pronoun this, pronoun that' and also went into a drunken rant about how women don't really care about music, they just pretend to. Which is news to, IDK, all of Space's female fans.

(G-d I miss Yorkie. He would never have been into all that crap.)

Quote from: Kankurette on July 01, 2022, 07:18:41 PMThere's having an opinion, and there's actively acting on that opinion to take other people's rights away.

This is what annoys me most about FWR, people have different opinions and that's cool but when someone is sponsoring a bill in the House Of Lords to reduce the gestation period for abortion down to 12 weeks then...