Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:46:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Late Late James Corden (Edit: Leaves the Late Late Show)

Started by rude soil, April 28, 2022, 11:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robhug

reading this news this morning I was instantly taken back to waking up to find out they'd voted for brexit or watching the planes fly into the twin towers. Life's about to get a whole lot worse and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

thr0b

In many ways, it's a shame the show is hosted by Corden, because it means the show itself is unfairly maligned, usually by people who don't watch it.

An extended sketch featuring Bananaman to an audience of Americans who don't get the references at all, for instance; that's good stuff.

Captain Z

I bet all of yous sticking up for Corden are the same ones who eat Oreos. Disgusting.

thr0b

Quote from: Captain Z on April 29, 2022, 11:25:27 AMI bet all of yous sticking up for Corden are the same ones who eat Oreos. Disgusting.

To be clear, Corden is clearly a twunt. But he hosts a good talk show.

QDRPHNC

I still don't know how he got the job in the first place. I feel like I woke up one morning and without explanation, James Corden was huge in America.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

What's the big deal about these American chat shows anyway? Are the significantly better than the ones we have over here? People talk about them like they're the height of comedy, but I've watched clips of them and didn't laugh once.

Corden Sanitaire - James travels the world getting enemas, trying out bidets, futuristic Japanese toilets, etc.

thr0b

Aye, it was a very bizarre choice, but one that's arguably worked very well for them.

Quite a big risk for CBS as well; they went from Letterman's very mainstream show at 11.30 to Colbert at 11.30 with what was initially a very political and less mainstream show, so I think they decided they needed to go more mainstream with the Late Late Show; certainly at the time Corden started, Colbert was tanking, and there was even talk of swapping the shows within a few weeks of Corden's debut.

Again though, I'd give the last half decade of Corden for another week of Craig Ferguson larking about with Josh Robert Thompson.

thr0b

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 29, 2022, 11:33:00 AMWhat's the big deal about these American chat shows anyway? Are the significantly better than the ones we have over here? People talk about them like they're the height of comedy, but I've watched clips of them and didn't laugh once.

I mainly watch Colbert and Corden. It's always been  the case over here that we see the BIG GUEST interviews mentioned, without noting that at least 70% of the guests are B/C list.

With Colbert in particular - you get a decent twenty minute (usually political) monologue, filled with jokes and back-references. The interviews are wildly variable, and nobody really watches the musical acts at the end.

Colbert's band leader's performance of his single over on Corden's show is a thing of excellence, however. Channeling Danny John-Jules in all the right ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93GnwDK_Rqg

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Oh God, don't even joke about that, Colbert. A horrifying thought.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on April 28, 2022, 11:50:29 PMJesus, don't get my hopes up like that.

Presumably he's leaving to begin another even more well paid, high profile job somewhere else. The continued failing upwards of the likes of Corden and Piers Morgan is baffling. Presumably their contemporaries are wondering what the rules are of "breaking America" and sustained, lucrative success in the entertainment industry, despite being bang average.

Traditionally I prefer people like Corden to be on chat shows because I don't like that format and they're more easily avoided.

chutnut

I hope Reggie Watts leaves too so he can go back to being good

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Mobius on April 29, 2022, 12:02:19 AMHorden and Corden reunion, well lush.

Did you see Horne in the Nan Movie? He looks like he's been haunted by Corden's inexplicable success in America, and hit the bottle hard to numb the pain.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: wobinidan on April 29, 2022, 03:50:44 AMCarpool Karaoke

I think Limmy nailed it recently when he said the problem with Corden is his insincerity. There's loads of insincerity on TV but the trick is hiding it, which Saturated Fat is terrible at. I've never watched a single second of Carpool Karaoke but I can see his lack of sincerity just by looking at a thumbnail pic of him with Tom Cruise.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: thr0b on April 29, 2022, 11:23:23 AMIn many ways, it's a shame the show is hosted by Corden, because it means the show itself is unfairly maligned, usually by people who don't watch it.

An extended sketch featuring Bananaman to an audience of Americans who don't get the references at all, for instance; that's good stuff.

I could probably be convinced the show has good comedy ideas, but liking the show is impossible for me when it's piped through Corden's odiousness.

Fwiw, it's a mark of how much I detested the Spitting Image revival that whenever I saw clips where they slagged of Corden for being obnoxious, I thought "You lot [the Spitting Image writers] are fine ones to talk"

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Corden Bennett - James Corden and Alan Bennett team up to tackle the big issues of the day in Bennett's front room over a plate of macaroons and a pot of Earl Grey

Corden Ramsey - Gordon Ramsey screams abuse in James Corden's face for half an hour, and then they both take their shirts off

Angst in my Pants

Corden Blaah! - James Corden revives Mallet's Mallet and doesn't even bother renaming it

Corden Blue - The same thing he's been doing, but with extra swearing.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: thr0b on April 29, 2022, 11:46:25 AMI mainly watch Colbert and Corden. It's always been  the case over here that we see the BIG GUEST interviews mentioned, without noting that at least 70% of the guests are B/C list.

Isn't it that Norton is the only game in town? He seems to get A list every week. If Cruise or Hanks have a film to flog they go to him, don't they?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: checkoutgirl on April 29, 2022, 02:42:21 PMPresumably he's leaving to begin another even more well paid, high profile job somewhere else. The continued failing upwards of the likes of Corden and Piers Morgan is baffling. Presumably their contemporaries are wondering what the rules are of "breaking America" and sustained, lucrative success in the entertainment industry, despite being bang average.

Traditionally I prefer people like Corden to be on chat shows because I don't like that format and they're more easily avoided.
The only late night host I could tolerate was Craig Ferguson, but even that involved copious use of skipping forward (through about three-quarters of all the celeb interviews). When he left, he went straight to a daytime quiz show, "Celebrity Name Game", which sounded awful. Since then, another awful and quickly cancelled game show, but not much else.

Hopefully Corden, Ferguson's inferior in pretty much every way, has a similarly inferior post-Late Late career.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: checkoutgirl on April 29, 2022, 03:39:36 PMIsn't it that Norton is the only game in town? He seems to get A list every week. If Cruise or Hanks have a film to flog they go to him, don't they?

I feel a bit bad for Jonathan Ross nowadays. He used to get all the big stars, now he has to interview Will Young or somebody off Gogglebox.

Mister Six

Quote from: checkoutgirl on April 29, 2022, 02:45:45 PMDid you see Horne in the Nan Movie? He looks like he's been haunted by Corden's inexplicable success in America, and hit the bottle hard to numb the pain.

Did you put an ageing filter on him? Honest question.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on April 29, 2022, 03:55:36 PMThe only late night host I could tolerate was Craig Ferguson

Ferguson is okay, probably the pick of the following pack, all behind the ultimate king, Conan. Even so I can't watch anyone interview celebrities at all. I could watch Conan chat to a Haitian entrepreneur or Korean speech expert on location all day long. The Conan package show they had on Netflix for a while was great, I think it was called Without Borders.

The only exception to the celeb interview rule would be a vintage interview here and there with Dick Cavatt. The guests he had were absolutely insane, Orson Wells or an in his prime Paul Simon or Mel Brooks. Fascinating stuff. Although Craig Ferguson seemed to be the man of choice when John Waters was selling his latest plug so I've checked them out.

Compare that to Graham Norton interviewing Didier Drogba or Benedict Cumberbatch. Urgh! Terrible.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 29, 2022, 03:58:55 PMI feel a bit bad for Jonathan Ross nowadays.

Your powers of compassion for Jonathan Ross are infinitely greater than mine. If he fell down a man hole and died today he'd still be the luckiest cunt ever. He asked David Cameron if he imagined Margaret Thatcher while masturbating. Fuck Jonathan Ross, the dick flashing cunt.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Mister Six on April 29, 2022, 04:01:40 PMDid you put an ageing filter on him? Honest question.

Maybe he'd had a rough night or the colour balance is off. The pics of him in the van with nan make him look completely defeated and not into it at all. His eyes have the question how did Corden break America and make 20 million and I end up making this piece of shit just to pay a big tax bill?

Nobody's going to see me in this and want to give me a job.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 29, 2022, 03:58:55 PMI feel a bit bad for Jonathan Ross nowadays. He used to get all the big stars, now he has to interview Will Young or somebody off Gogglebox.
I blame shitty British chatshows on the decline in/shortage of modern celebrities. Which is ironic because Graham Norton started out having fun chatting to normal people, and even Jonathan Ross did a lot of more variety-based formats in days of yore. You have to feel for Alan Carr who needs to get paralytic drunk before he can talk to Nick Grimshaw or Josh Widdicombe.

I've no idea who American talkshows interview but I'm sure it's just as bad. Didn't Letterman use to have animals on his show?

Matthew Horne is 43, but has evidently had a hard life. (Is it really only 15 yrs since Gavin and Stacey started? It seems like a lifetime.)

I hope this is like when the singer quit Kasabian, because he knew he was about to be cancelled for something the next day.