Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,400
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:15:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Late Late James Corden (Edit: Leaves the Late Late Show)

Started by rude soil, April 28, 2022, 11:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

checkoutgirl

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on April 29, 2022, 04:31:09 PMthe decline in/shortage of modern celebrities.

The internet has sort of knocked the arse out of it. Tik Tok, Youtube and people like Rob Brydon or Norm McDonald diluting the pool with their online, no audience interview things.

Plus Orson Wells and Oliver Reed are dead and they haven't been replaced.

I knew the chat show format was dead when in 2001 Parky interviewed Tamzin Outhwaite off of Eastenders as the "big star" and I'm sure she was delighted to be on but I was like, hey, she's nobody, this chat show thing is bullshit. I've got better things to do.

Time was being on Parky was a big deal and the interviewee should be a big star but Tamzin Outhwaite? Come on man.

robhug

The Gay Cordon's - James Scottish country dances his way around pride

Cordon Brown - James lives as a one eyed politician for a week

Cordon for Gordon - James bangs Trudie Styler

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: checkoutgirl on April 29, 2022, 02:45:45 PMDid you see Horne in the Nan Movie? He looks like he's been haunted by Corden's inexplicable success in America, and hit the bottle hard to numb the pain.

He looks like a cross between Tommy Robinson and my auntie.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on April 29, 2022, 04:59:36 PMHe looks like a cross between Tommy Robinson and my auntie.

He looks rough but I feel bad now, having a go. 

Corden The Act. Hidden camera show where James watches the general public perform lewd acts when they think they're alone while their extended family sit in a studio with him laughing.

Cor Blimey Den. James reviews classic 1970s confessions of a window cleaner type films. With sexy results.

Martin Van Buren Stan

Just watching him on Chris Moyles(!!) two year ago. Looks well enough. Sounds very posh too. Dunno if I've heard him speak out of character before.

Rolf Lundgren

Still can't get my head around the time of these late night talk shows. Settling in to watch something at 12:30am?!

I don't think Corden is coming back here. He must fancy a go at movies or something, can't believe he would quit Hollywood to muck about on British panel shows again.

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on April 29, 2022, 04:31:09 PMI blame shitty British chatshows on the decline in/shortage of modern celebrities. Which is ironic because Graham Norton started out having fun chatting to normal people, and even Jonathan Ross did a lot of more variety-based formats in days of yore. You have to feel for Alan Carr who needs to get paralytic drunk before he can talk to Nick Grimshaw or Josh Widdicombe.

Norton's obsession with Miles O'Keefe seems a lifetime ago. I think Norton's show is still the best over here but there's definitely room for someone to do something different with the format like he did in the old Channel 4 days.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

One for Matty:

Horne Dog - Matt Horne decides to set himself up as a budding dog breeder in this new reality show on ITV2. Watch between your fingers as he artificially inseminates an Alsatian using a squeezy ketchup bottle.

The Dog

Corden the cob, in which James Corden investigates the history of cobs.

Spinal Corden. Celebrities compete to perform the best spinal surgery, with hilarious consequences. Hosted by James Corden.

Not sure why everyone hates this man, he seems entirely average to me. All American chat shows are dreadful though, just absolutely awful.

poodlefaker

Corden is a Moron - the "Gary and Stacey" actor goes undercover to find out how society treats the mentally ill.

wrec

How have chatshows that air at 12.30am remained a popular thing when Yanks have to get up at 5.30 to sit in traffic for hours on the way to the first of the three jobs that they need to pay off crippling college debt, skyrocketing medical insurance and multiple alimonies? Some people probably record it but still.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: The Dog on April 29, 2022, 05:43:32 PMNot sure why everyone hates this man

Because of the insincerity. It's in this thread repeatedly. He'll never be a good actor because he can't even fake enjoying being in a car with Tom Cruise.

His one acting success as Smitty or Jonesy or whatever in that show with Larry Lamb is his version of Gervais as Brent. He can play basically himself but step outside that even slightly and he's fucked.

Did you see that gay character he played a couple of years ago? Oof!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on April 29, 2022, 05:34:27 PMI don't think Corden is coming back here. He must fancy a go at movies or something
He's done movies. I'm don't know whether they were all that successful though. He was in that freakish looking Cats one a few years ago and I'm pretty sure that was a flop.

Quote from: The Dog on April 29, 2022, 05:43:32 PMNot sure why everyone hates this man
A general feeling that his success far exceeds his talent and that he seems very, very smug about it.

tourism

re-cordens - a stonefaced james corden watches his own output in its entirety without commentary

Mister Six

Quote from: checkoutgirl on April 29, 2022, 04:15:32 PMYour powers of compassion for Jonathan Ross are infinitely greater than mine. If he fell down a man hole and died today he'd still be the luckiest cunt ever. He asked David Cameron if he imagined Margaret Thatcher while masturbating.

What's wrong with that?

I'm more bothered by him being a crypto-TERF cunt who bullied Andrew Sachs.

Quote from: checkoutgirl on April 29, 2022, 05:55:04 PMBecause of the insincerity. It's in this thread repeatedly. He'll never be a good actor because he can't even fake enjoying being in a car with Tom Cruise.

His one acting success as Smitty or Jonesy or whatever in that show with Larry Lamb is his version of Gervais as Brent. He can play basically himself but step outside that even slightly and he's fucked.

He was good in The History Boys, The Wrong Mans and Doctor Who. He did a decent turn in Ocean's 8, if you can get over his character being completely irrelevant to the plot/being played by James Corden. He's a very competent actor when he has a role to play, basically. That doesn't necessarily translate to being easy in his own skin (which is where the Tom Cruise insincerity issues arise).

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on April 29, 2022, 05:34:27 PMI don't think Corden is coming back here. He must fancy a go at movies or something, can't believe he would quit Hollywood to muck about on British panel shows again.

Yeah, that'll be it. He voiced Peter Rabbit and other animated characters, and made supporting appearances in Cinderella, Cats, Oceans 8 and several other underwhelming films. He probably wants to have a crack at some starring roles, and that'd be harder to commit to when he needs to do all that Late Late Show recording.

So who'll replace him? Gonna sound like a cunt here and say Russell Brand would've been a good shout if he hadn't turned into a conspiracy nut/Kremlin shill; he's a gifted improviser and has an unusual energy that sets him apart from the slicker US hosts. And he's an annoying English cunt, which is clearly on trend.

Martin Van Buren Stan

He had a chat show that bombed hard iirc. Brooker would actually be pretty good I think. Wouldn't surprise me if they gave it to Whitehall

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Whitehall would wheel his coffin dodger dad on all the time if he got the gig. You just know he would.

checkoutgirl

Peter Cook's dead, can't give it to him. Although Peter Cushing's career continues unabated.

poodlefaker

Corden via Bank - he's a tube driver, or a bank manager, whatever

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: wrec on April 29, 2022, 05:54:28 PMHow have chatshows that air at 12.30am remained a popular thing when Yanks have to get up at 5.30 to sit in traffic for hours on the way to the first of the three jobs that they need to pay off crippling college debt, skyrocketing medical insurance and multiple alimonies? Some people probably record it but still.
Time differences between LA and New York? God knows.

Thosworth

Quote from: checkoutgirl on April 29, 2022, 02:45:45 PMDid you see Horne in the Nan Movie? He looks like he's been haunted by Corden's inexplicable success in America, and hit the bottle hard to numb the pain.

He looks fine. Thing with aging is, with friends and family you can't perceive daily changes in decrepitude, but when you see a celebrity face regularly and then don't for 20 years, it suddenly looks like they've made a poor choice in an Indiana Jones movie.

Having said all that, he looks like Ricky Butcher crossed with Frank Butcher.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I got a similar thing with Joe Pesci in The Irishman recently. The last time he was really in anything he was in his 40s, then you don't see him for decades and suddenly he's a slightly wizened looking old man.

Midas

Corden's notoriously a twat, with a history of mistreating his staff, and infamously advocated for lower wages for late-night writers at a Writer's Guild meeting.

Martin Van Buren Stan

Have you heard his material? They definitely deserved a cut

thr0b

Quote from: checkoutgirl on April 29, 2022, 04:12:35 PMFerguson is okay, probably the pick of the following pack, all behind the ultimate king, Conan. Even so I can't watch anyone interview celebrities at all. I could watch Conan chat to a Haitian entrepreneur or Korean speech expert on location all day long. The Conan package show they had on Netflix for a while was great, I think it was called Without Borders.

Conan is currently on a break - he's got a new show coming on... one of the streaming services. Not sure which.

But he also does a terrific podcast - Conan O'Brien Needs A Friend - long form interviews with celebrities he likes, but also shorter shows in which he chats with people who do interesting jobs and hobbies. If you like the Without Borders stuff (which is still an ongoing thing, and there will be more), the podcast is worthwhile.

beanheadmcginty

Corden the Gopher - Pip Schofield with his hand up Corden's arse in a broom cupboard.

Also, I know someone who worked in the costume dept of the Horne and Corden sketch show and she says he is the most unpleasant person she has ever worked with.

poodlefaker

Corden's About - the unfunny cunt pulls meanspirited pranks on the undeserving public. while cackling.

Cuellar

Cold Meat Platter

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Cuellar on April 29, 2022, 10:46:00 PMCorden Cock - it's just a title really

James Corden gets his cock out while an assembled crowd, including his parents, point and laugh at it.

Cuellar

Corden Giltrap - he is given gills then put in a trap