Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:33:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Singular visions than have stayed with you

Started by shoulders, April 29, 2022, 07:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buttgammon

Quote from: steve98 on May 13, 2022, 12:43:15 PMYou got have got that from the ground; no need for a plane.

I've flown from Dublin to Manchester or Liverpool dozens of times and I swear that on a clear day, you often reach a point where you can see Wales, England, Scotland, the Isle of Man and Ireland at the same time if you look through the windows on both sides. This might just be me mistaking peninsulas for other peninsulas, of course.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: buttgammon on May 13, 2022, 01:02:39 PMI've flown from Dublin to Manchester or Liverpool dozens of times and I swear that on a clear day, you often reach a point where you can see Wales, England, Scotland, the Isle of Man and Ireland at the same time if you look through the windows on both sides. This might just be me mistaking peninsulas for other peninsulas, of course.

That should be quite easy on a plane over the Irish sea

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: steve98 on May 13, 2022, 12:43:15 PMYou got have got that from the ground; no need for a plane.

How tall are you?

Quote from: jobotic on April 30, 2022, 10:27:14 AMDriving to Legoland and coming off the motorway near Heathrow. Presumably due to our velocity, the plane's velocity and the angle that we viewed it, a plane coming into land seemed to be stationary in the air, suspended above us, for what seemed ages.

Is there a word for that phenomena?

The nearest word is probably 'vection'.

In Rome, I saw this beggar whose body was so deformed, he could only crawl along the pavement. His 'takings' were in a box that he slid ahead of him as he crawled along. His body was facing the pavement, but his head was turned 180 degrees, so he was looking directly at the sky.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: J Peasemould Gruntfuttock on May 13, 2022, 08:27:28 PMIn Rome, I saw this beggar whose body was so deformed, he could only crawl along the pavement. His 'takings' were in a box that he slid ahead of him as he crawled along. His body was facing the pavement, but his head was turned 180 degrees, so he was looking directly at the sky.

Was probably from pompei

Mortimer

Quote from: robhug on May 13, 2022, 01:01:39 PMGood friend at college who happened upon a battered looking crash helmet on the windy roads around his family's very rural farm in north wales only to find out it was a lot heavier than anticipated before realising why. the rest of him and the bike were in a ravine obscured by trees and gorse bushes. Stay away from motorbikes.

Thats my singular vision and I didn't even see it.

Reminds me of mine. I wish it didn't.

Aged about ten, a friend and I drawn into one of those crowds of ghouls that form around a traffic accident. A motorcyclist lying in the road flat on his back, intact and un-mangled, looking for all intents and purposes like he was having a nap. His bike also flat on the road some distance away.

Then the paramedics removed his crash helmet. What appeared to be the entire content of his skull plopped out of the back of his head into the tarmac, followed by a pool of blood that seemed as if it would never stop expanding.

Yeah, stay away from motorbikes.

Dex Sawash

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Mortimer on May 14, 2022, 02:45:43 AMThen the paramedics removed his crash helmet

I wonder if anyone was disciplined for that.  In the event of accidents you're not supposed to remove the crash helmet.  That's basic stuff.
In this case it sounds like the poor guy was beyond saving, but still.

TrenterPercenter

Not completely in line with this thread but I've decided motorbikes are S4Cs.  Just had loads of them on the road as I was travelling back from Buxton as it happens.  Utter posers.

It's weird, people with unhealthy obsessions with cars (rightly) get mocked whilst bikers are seen as all edgy or something when most of them are middle class racists from the shires driving around for the purposes of being seen on their bikes.  Or at the other end of scale you've got kids from the estate dropping wheelies and letting everyone know they have a very loud bike.

But yeah also all the people that end up dead from using them (worked in a brain injury clinic with lots of the "lucky" ones that survived).

Pink Gregory

Not my vision, but was driving to a regular work site with someone who had only recently joined, and they just casually mentioned that on this one stretch of hill they'd seen a cyclist go under an HGV.

Don't really want to go into any more detail.  Not particularly pleased that he shared to be honest.

Mortimer

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on May 14, 2022, 01:56:55 PMI wonder if anyone was disciplined for that.  In the event of accidents you're not supposed to remove the crash helmet.  That's basic stuff.
In this case it sounds like the poor guy was beyond saving, but still.

These days probably yes, but a ten year old me was decades ago.

petril

were they even paramedics back then, or just ambulancemen?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Pink Gregory on May 14, 2022, 06:24:20 PMNot my vision, but was driving to a regular work site with someone who had only recently joined, and they just casually mentioned that on this one stretch of hill they'd seen a cyclist go under an HGV.

Don't really want to go into any more detail.  Not particularly pleased that he shared to be honest.

I did some temp work on a weighbridge at a commercial tip and would chat with the guys that drove the machinery on the site. One of them said he used to work on the highways and got to watch the horror show of a young lad who was sat having a break on the tracks of a stationary cattarpillar get his lower-half pulled into it when someone started driving it.

jobotic

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on May 14, 2022, 06:13:59 PMNot completely in line with this thread but I've decided motorbikes are S4Cs.  Just had loads of them on the road as I was travelling back from Buxton as it happens.  Utter posers.

It's weird, people with unhealthy obsessions with cars (rightly) get mocked whilst bikers are seen as all edgy or something when most of them are middle class racists from the shires driving around for the purposes of being seen on their bikes.  Or at the other end of scale you've got kids from the estate dropping wheelies and letting everyone know they have a very loud bike.

But yeah also all the people that end up dead from using them (worked in a brain injury clinic with lots of the "lucky" ones that survived).

Citation needed

PlanktonSideburns

What is this, the singular visions of other people telling you stories about people getting destroyed by machinery and bikes thread

non capisco

A woman who looked like Pam Ayres on Holloway Road at around 8am on a Sunday doing the slow walking Genesis dance across a zebra crossing whilst screeching "AHHHHHHHH CAN'T DANCE! AHHHHH CAN'T SING!" with a load of traffic angrily beeping at her.

Sherringford Hovis

A skinny Santa-bearded Octogenarian resplendent in striped blazer and straw boater examining the contents of his nostril on the end of his pinkie finger before carefully wiping it on a leaf still attached to a bush, then delicately pressing another leaf onto it to create a bogey-conjoined miniature topiary feature.

Getting mightily concerned that the discombobulated lorry driver we'd just dragged out of his burning cab was having some sort of Tom & Jerry-esque massive arrhythmia only to discover a shivering chihuahua nestling inside his sweater.

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

A flinty-faced proto-babushka, arms weighed down by two string bags laden with whatever miserable produce she'd been able to glean from the impromptu street-markets that sprang up around Russian metro stations in the 1990s. We were out at the far end of the green line, where the bitter wind comes howling onshore at the end of a clear run along the Gulf of Finland. She had on a long blue raincoat and a headscarf - for all the world like a member of the St. Petersburg Last of the Summer Wine cosplay club. As I watched, she slipped on a banana skin. Her legs went up, her back went back, but her arms still hung down vertically, at what seemed like a perfect right angle. For a moment, she seemed to float there, like the magician's assistant after he's whipped away the table, before gravity inevitably reasserted control and she fell to the floor. It must have been excruciating, and it didn't look like she'd been greatly enjoying her day before this happened.