Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:28:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

austin powers is fucking funny

Started by madhair60, May 02, 2022, 11:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Twilkes on May 03, 2022, 06:18:36 PMOr as it's known in Scotland, 'Sauchiehall Street'.

Is it true that The Guru pretty much killed Mike Myers' career and he's done nothing of note since apart from Shrek?

Also crazy to think I probably watched him when I was little on the Wide Awake Club on Saturday mornings.

Wasn't he in that film about the music business mogul Shep Gordon like 5 years ago?  The name escapes me.

druss

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on May 03, 2022, 07:04:39 PMMy father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Some times he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really. At the age of 12 I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking, I suggest you try it.
Comedy is subjective but I would have a hard time with anyone who doesn't find this funny.

DrGreggles

There was a 20 second deleted scene on the 2nd DVD where Mini Me is riding a tricycle with Dr Evil on a platform behind him.
It's gloriously silly and I can't understand why it was cut.

shiftwork2

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on May 03, 2022, 06:35:34 PMLove the off camera "there's the bastard" when Dr Evil is escaping in the first scene in the first film.

It is now impossible to watch the bit in OHMSS when Telly Savalas does a runner without saying this phrase.

Twit 2

Chalk me up as another fan of the silliness of these films. Laughed my arse off as a teen when these came out in the cinema.

Magnum Valentino

First one has been one of my favourites since I was wee (had the lovely pink and orange wide-screen VHS) and yet I haven't seen Goldmember since it came out in the cinema.

Despite the notices in this thread I doubt I'll revisit the sequels as the presence of Fat Bastard and Mini-Me typify a cruelty that the perfect first film is entirely bereft of. "Look at the fat man, look at the dwarf" is so far in the opposite direction of the look on Austin's face when he finds out we've landed on the moon that not even curiosity to see what other good gags might be in there is enough to draw me in.

Glebe

Most of the funny stuff in the Powers movies is Dr. Evil based.

frajer

Judo CHOP!

The sincere screaming and thrashing of the guard as toothpaste batters his eyes is terrific.

Also just after the lovely moment of Austin losing patience enough to break casanova superspy character. "Yes, I get it, I have bad teeth."

dead-ced-dead

I think about the steam roller slowly running over the screaming guard way too often.

It's just a great gag.

Twonty Gostelow

First one is superb, yes, and diminishing returns from then on, although you're never far away from a good gag at least.
Some of the deleted scenes and outtakes on the DVDs are interminable though, especially the Fat Bastard ones. Maybe Myers was running out of inspiration so had to do a lot of self-indulgent riffing in the hope of something sticking.
I remember seeing one of them (the first, I think?) where there was a long driving sequence in the Hollywood hills, but a red British phone box would appear at intervals in the background. I mentioned it to someone who saw it with me and she said that she hadn't noticed it. Baffling.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I think that was the second one. They played on it by having a graphic come up at the start of the sequence saying something like "The English Countryside (Definitely not Southern California)".

Twonty Gostelow

Ah right, thanks, I wasn't sure. I'd forgotten the caption, which now seems too on-the-nose, but I remember loving the sight gag.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Glebe on May 03, 2022, 09:41:17 PMMost of the funny stuff in the Powers movies is Dr. Evil based.

I agree with you.

Cold Meat Platter

If anyone's not seen 'Our Man Flint' from 1966 starring James Coburn I recommend a look to see the influences on this. The special phone noise is a straight 'homage'.

C_Larence

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on May 04, 2022, 12:50:23 AMI think that was the second one. They played on it by having a graphic come up at the start of the sequence saying something like "The English Countryside (Definitely not Southern California)".

It's not a caption, Austin turns to Felicity in the car and says "You know what's remarkable? That England looks in no way like Southern California". Apparently the line was improvised, and it kind of shows as Heather Graham treads over the second half of the line.

I watched the second and third movies recently so they (and their respective IMDB trivia pages) are fresh in my memory, I'm not a freak.

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on May 03, 2022, 09:34:51 PMFirst one has been one of my favourites since I was wee (had the lovely pink and orange wide-screen VHS) and yet I haven't seen Goldmember since it came out in the cinema.

Despite the notices in this thread I doubt I'll revisit the sequels as the presence of Fat Bastard and Mini-Me typify a cruelty that the perfect first film is entirely bereft of. "Look at the fat man, look at the dwarf" is so far in the opposite direction of the look on Austin's face when he finds out we've landed on the moon that not even curiosity to see what other good gags might be in there is enough to draw me in.

Haven't seen them for decade but there is a genuinely pathos laden speech by Fat Bastard in one of them. He talks about his issues with food and the how the ridicule he receives upsets him. "I eat because I'm unhappy and I'm unhappy because I eat" stuck with me

Yussef Dent

"Yeah, and I can't believe Liberace was gay. I mean, women loved him! I didn't see that one coming, no!"

Two Headed Sex Beast

I saw this on twitter, I know it's a joke but I also don't hate the idea

Quotereboot Austin Powers using the same formula as Indiana Jones and Star Wars et al. where the aging star discovers he has a son who would ostensibly take over the franchise but the son of Austin Powers is also played by Mike Myers

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on May 04, 2022, 01:48:40 AMHaven't seen them for decade but there is a genuinely pathos laden speech by Fat Bastard in one of them. He talks about his issues with food and the how the ridicule he receives upsets him. "I eat because I'm unhappy and I'm unhappy because I eat" stuck with me

Right enough, I can remember that as well, great line.

notjosh

Quote from: madhair60 on May 03, 2022, 11:37:00 AMDr Evil just makes me laugh. Even thinking about him gives me the giggles. Why am I so basic. Myers' facial acting when Dr Evil sees the mole in Goldmember and goes from staring to gurning to making an apologetic "you know how it is" face then going straight back to the stare. Kills me.

Just went to watch this scene and was amused by the clunky insert shot at 1:07. Lots of lovely small details like that across all 3.

https://youtu.be/rc5G04nJecI?t=64

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: notjosh on May 04, 2022, 07:16:11 AMJust went to watch this scene and was amused by the clunky insert shot at 1:07. Lots of lovely small details like that across all 3.

https://youtu.be/rc5G04nJecI?t=64

I don't think I've had noticed if you'd not pointed it out, but that is brilliant. BIG DELIBERATE CIRCLE and two wee taps. Fantastic. I also love the surprisingly aggressive MOLE, BLOODY MOLE. Unexpected.

If anyone else wants to post good clips from 2 and 3 so I don't have to watch them I'm sure no one would object.

Sonny_Jim

That bit where Dr Evil and Mini Me go all gangsta rap is fucking awful and no one should post it.

Replies From View

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on May 03, 2022, 09:57:32 PMI think about the steam roller slowly running over the screaming guard way too often.

It's just a great gag.

Fish Called Wanda had a good one, and Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

madhair60

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on May 04, 2022, 12:16:28 PMThat bit where Dr Evil and Mini Me go all gangsta rap is fucking awful and no one should post it.

I would agree except for the fact that the way the majority of the rap has been censored is very funny to me, just drops to silence

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Replies From View on May 04, 2022, 12:16:51 PMFish Called Wanda had a good one, and Who Framed Roger Rabbit.
Deadpool also did a spin on/rip off (caution: contains naughty word)

QDRPHNC

Am I imagining it, or was there a scene where Austin touches the mole with a twig?

Replies From View

Quote from: QDRPHNC on May 04, 2022, 12:38:49 PMAm I imagining it, or was there a scene where Austin touches the mole with a twig?

Just a fantasy that you spawned within your mind's eye.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

shoulders

Quote from: Pink Gregory on May 03, 2022, 07:09:50 PMWasn't he in that film about the music business mogul Shep Gordon like 5 years ago?  The name escapes me.

While we're on the subject of post-Powers stuff, years earlier he did a nearly completely incongruous turn as a British officer in Inglorious Basterds. He has added to his repertoire of English pronunciation but slips back into Powers at points.

https://youtu.be/s5Azs_6uaCA

Still impossible to quite know what to make of it.