Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:37:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Graham Linehan Episode XVIII: Help Me Elon Muskenobi, You're My Only Hope

Started by Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse, May 03, 2022, 09:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Ex_GC on May 23, 2022, 07:57:14 PMBut then only days later he will talk about "vindication". I've lost count of how many times he has said the tide is turning. Which is it!

Well to be fair, if he's right each time then it will ebb and flow, like tides do, never changing position on average. In summary, Tides are a stupid metaphor.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: king_tubby on May 23, 2022, 08:09:03 PMI thought him and Kermode both were evangelicals, though naturally I could be wrong.

Really? That's sinister.

Barry Admin

Oh god, I've been wanting to find this open letter about Helen Joyce again for ages, click to enlarge:

Quote from: some mad twatI just typed this, two beers down.
I call it "An open letter to my boyfriend, who is washing up in the kitchen", or "You, me, and gender identity ideology".

Pink Gregory

Quote from: king_tubby on May 23, 2022, 08:09:03 PMI thought him and Kermode both were evangelicals, though naturally I could be wrong.

Pretty sure Mark talks about not being a man of faith whenever he discusses the Exorcist, but then he did become friends with William Peter Blatty, who very much was, though not evangelical.

king_tubby

Quote from: Pink Gregory on May 23, 2022, 08:33:37 PMPretty sure Mark talks about not being a man of faith whenever he discusses the Exorcist, but then he did become friends with William Peter Blatty, who very much was, though not evangelical.

I have done the most basic research.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2009/apr/09/film-mark-kermode-interview

QuoteHis fascination with the devil must also, it seems to me, be connected with his interest in God. His listeners may be surprised to know that Kermode is a practising Anglican. (Intriguingly, Mayo is also a churchgoer, which may be an aspect of their underlying chemistry.)

Barry Admin

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 23, 2022, 08:35:32 PMEnjoying your work @idunnosomename

Lol called it. I still can't get diagnosed over here for it without going private, but he can certainly afford that.

thenoise

Remembering two things in a row without getting confused? What an intellectual heavyweight.

wrec

Quote from: canadagoose on May 23, 2022, 01:55:09 PMOh God I didn't mean to sound like I was telling you off, sorry, I think it's a very Linehan thing and it's part of the whole banana caricature. I think it was the same for me too, although I was anxious so much of the time that it's hard to correlate now.

No worries, didn't take it as telling off at all. It's a thin line sometimes between legit pisstaking and stuff like bodyshaming so didn't want to be insensitive. Better that I reckon than doubling down, dedicating my life to defaming anyone with a shaky limb, attempting to get neurological disorder charities defunded etc.

Dr Rock

somersetchris

Quote from: Barry Admin on May 23, 2022, 08:49:58 PMLol called it. I still can't get diagnosed over here for it without going private, but he can certainly afford that.

Also he's calling autism and ADHD 'unverifiable', as if they're made up conditions. He's such a cunt.

Quote from: Barry Admin on May 23, 2022, 08:32:30 PMOh god, I've been wanting to find this open letter about Helen Joyce again for ages, click to enlarge:

I feel like this, but with Angelos and Barry talking about Michael Fabricant and  Kim Woodburn with that snake on her head.

somersetchris

Quote from: jamiefairlie on May 23, 2022, 08:31:47 PMReally? That's sinister.

Why's it sinister for someone to have a religion?

Mayo is a Christian I believe but given that I have never heard them discuss it, ever, in their podcast I don't think 'evangelical' is a word you can use. Even when they discuss films in which religion, or criticism of religion, is a plot point, they never relate it to their own personal beliefs. It never comes up.

And Mark Kermode's favourite film is the Exorcist, as surely everyone knows. But sure, he's an evangelical born-again Christian. 

Barry Admin

Quote from: somersetchris on May 23, 2022, 09:20:13 PMAlso he's calling autism and ADHD 'unverifiable', as if they're made up conditions. He's such a cunt.

Yeah I kind of missed the first tweet tbh.

It's weird really, as he's obviously joining in with that kind of closed minded "ha they're just saying that for attention" mentality, while simultaneously pretending to care about children with autism as part of his anti-trans crusade.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: somersetchris on May 23, 2022, 09:24:16 PMWhy's it sinister for someone to have a religion?

Mayo is a Christian I believe but given that I have never heard them discuss it, ever, in their podcast I don't think 'evangelical' is a word you can use. Even when they discuss films in which religion, or criticism of religion, is a plot point, they never relate it to their own personal beliefs. It never comes up.

And Mark Kermode's favourite film is the Exorcist, as surely everyone knows. But sure, he's an evangelical born-again Christian. 

Because it's an underlying agenda that's always on their minds and guides their actions. Evangelicals live to convert so I don't trust them and do find them sinister. I say this as someone born and brought up with Catholicism so I know the misery religion brings.

Brundle-Fly

Cold Meat Platter

I hope Graham does get treatment for his mental disorder to own the libs.

TommyTurnips

Fuck you Glinner, you're not a hero, you didn't eat lunch with J.K. Rowling.

damien

I sense a 'vibe shift' at The Guardian; there appears to be an interview with Yasmin Finney in tomorrow's paper, her picture is on the front page.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

fuck me 61 pages in 20 days

I have slenderised the opening post from 5 pages to 3.5.

mippy

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 23, 2022, 08:35:32 PMEnjoying your work @idunnosomename

Well, it took me three years, so plenty of time left to slag off young women for late-life diagnoses of conditions notoriously under-diagnosed in women and girls.

Mister Six

Quote from: damien on May 23, 2022, 10:57:42 PMI sense a 'vibe shift' at The Guardian; there appears to be an interview with Yasmin Finney in tomorrow's paper, her picture is on the front page.

Christ, I hope so. The rampant transphobia in the British media is pretty fucking bleak.

Quote from: somersetchris on May 23, 2022, 09:24:16 PMWhy's it sinister for someone to have a religion?

Yeah, I don't think I've ever heard (or heard of) Kermode proselytising, so the claims being made about him here are weird.

bgmnts

Quote from: Kankurette on May 23, 2022, 11:51:04 PMLeft-wing? LEFT-WING?!

I suppose they could be left wing just with this massive blind spot of hatred and fear.

Unsure how that all works though.

Mindy Simmons

The Late Satoru Iwata

Quote from: Buttered Ghost on May 23, 2022, 01:14:43 PMYou know, I think [BC] might actually be the hardest person on the planet to parody. Pretty much anything and everything you could possibly think about, he's probably already done or about to do. The bananas never stop growing.

It's going to be tough to beat him using his ban-evasion Twitter account (and not even the one he claims isn't him, but the one he's very open about) to report someone else's ban evasion. Someone who wasn't evading a ban.