Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:00:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Graham Linehan Episode XVIII: Help Me Elon Muskenobi, You're My Only Hope

Started by Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse, May 03, 2022, 09:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Barry Admin on May 13, 2022, 02:47:50 PMI'm trying to work out if there are any parallels for Linehan. I've said before that I think he'll go down in history being reviled as the new Anita Bryant, and he does use some of her methods, but that doesn't seem to cover it.

It's the fact he 1) so palpably doesn't give a shit about the "issues" and 2) dedicates his time to methodically frightening the minority he claims to want to protect. (E.g. "I write about the current all-out assault on woman's rights".)

I can only really think of cult leaders like Jim Jones.
Quite honestly (and I realise you were thinking more along the lines of people who once had stature, but still) I think the best parallel is Chris-Chan, for no other reason than they both should have stepped away from the keyboard but instead over the course of years made life worse and worse for themselves out of pure compulsion. Of course, CWC can claim some considerable mitigating factors that Greybum can't.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Jumblegraws on May 13, 2022, 06:50:26 PMQuite honestly (and I realise you were thinking more along the lines of people who once had stature, but still) I think the best parallel is Chris-Chan, for no other reason than they both should have stepped away from the keyboard but instead over the course of years made life worse and worse for themselves out of pure compulsion. Of course, CWC can claim some considerable mitigating factors that Greybum can't.

It's not so much about stature or anything, I think I'm always just fascinated by how fake he is and by what actually drives him.

I'd boil it down to: 1) some kind of Superman syndrome where he has to be heralded as a hero, yet is simultaneously fine manipulating people by crying and lying and generally appearing weak and 2) just being horrible and negative and telling people off in a very controlling manner.

monkfromhavana

I think it's a desperate desire to be liked and heralded. Someone came along and attacked him with good cause, his fragile ego couldn't handle it and he attacked back from the flimsiest of ground, which caused more people to attack/disagree with him, which he doubled down on, ad finitum.

We get to the point where he's invested so much in trying to protect his ego, right down to making totally absurd statements and holding fantastical opinions, that he can't get out of it. He can't quite have a full-on meltdown and get help and get better cos his ego won't let him. So he's trapped in this circle-jerk with his ego being stroked by "mentalists".

Ex_GC

I actually think there's a few parallels between GL and JK Rowling. Both received so much adoration and praise (her on a much bigger scale obviously). That must get addictive. Though they may have both gotten into GC stuff for different reasons I'm sure they both felt the slide into irrelevance that most people in the public eye probably feel at some stage especially when there's a constant batch of new talent and voices. To get praise and worship again and be told they're fighting for womens rights etc I'm sure that's addictive and makes them feel relevant all over again

shoulders

Quote from: Ex_GC on May 13, 2022, 04:07:02 PMDoes the fact that he's now cheek to cheek with far right homophobes and bigots ever bother him? Or does he even have enough self awareness for that

...And Christian 'family values' fundamentalists who are anti-abortion. A self-declared feminist promoting these people.

Anyone who is onside on the trans issue is fine, apparently. All justified in his massive, massive brains.

shoulders

Quote from: Ex_GC on May 13, 2022, 07:44:00 PMI actually think there's a few parallels between GL and JK Rowling. Both received so much adoration and praise (her on a much bigger scale obviously). That must get addictive. Though they may have both gotten into GC stuff for different reasons I'm sure they both felt the slide into irrelevance that most people in the public eye probably feel at some stage especially when there's a constant batch of new talent and voices. To get praise and worship again and be told they're fighting for womens rights etc I'm sure that's addictive and makes them feel relevant all over again

If JKR can't successfully popularise trans-hate with her global profile and instead a generation of young people just go 'Huh... Fuck you on about mate', then transphobes can't win. What chance does the ogre BC stand if she can't do it? Zilch.

Nice to consider.

shiftwork2

I think there's a (kind of) similarity with David Icke.  Both were safe-hands media figures who had a controversial moment in public.  Both were embarrassed but proud and stubborn; to save face they had to plough on so far and so deep they made it into their lives.  It helps that they both made / make a good living out of it.

Famous Mortimer

That's a pretty good comparison. I like that Icke's not underselling his 2020 book "The Secret":

QuoteIt is not religious, economic or political, but something from which all else comes.

There is nothing more important to turn the world around than for the content of this book to be globally known.

The future of humanity depends upon it.

mtpromises

Neither BC or Icke managed to graduate college.

Speaking of which, Graham is giving his uneducated views on Planned Parenthood Toronto's Cotton Ceiling workshop from 10 years ago.  I was curious how wrong he got it, and it sounds like completely wrong is the answer.

From PPT Facebook:
QuoteThe purpose of the workshop "Overcoming the Cotton Ceiling: Breaking Down Sexual Barriers for Queer Trans Women" is to draw attention to the ways in which trans women are socially constructed as undesirable, and are denied full participation in queer women's communities. Stigma and social exclusion can have immense impacts on the health and well-being of all marginalized people, trans women included. PPT's mandate is one of equity; as such, we strongly stand behind queer trans women's right to participate as full members of LGBTQ communities, and are committed to promoting and upholding trans women's sexual health and well-being. Our programming for LGBTQ women serves all women who have sex with women (WSW), and since trans women are women, we provide programming that addresses the needs of the lesbian, bisexual, pansexual, and queer-identified trans women in our community.

https://m.facebook.com/PPToronto/posts/10150615471958021

Ex_GC

Quote from: shoulders on May 13, 2022, 07:49:22 PMIf JKR can't successfully popularise trans-hate with her global profile and instead a generation of young people just go 'Huh... Fuck you on about mate', then transphobes can't win. What chance does the ogre BC stand if she can't do it? Zilch.

Nice to consider.

Transphobes will never win. How do we know this? Because despite hate coming from all directions trans people continue to exist and will always exist no matter how many Substack posts are written

Who could Jon Ronson be talking about here I wonder

https://twitter.com/NewstalkFM/status/1525189635214819328

"I was sitting there watching friends get too involved in the transgender battle for instance and they kind of lost their minds. They lost their reputations, they lost their families, they lost all of their work. And their life just became this battle."

Ex_GC

I'm getting the popcorn ready for GL's inevitable meltdown when he sees that

Mindy Simmons

Quote from: waste of chops on May 13, 2022, 08:20:57 PMWho could Jon Ronson be talking about here I wonder

https://twitter.com/NewstalkFM/status/1525189635214819328

"I was sitting there watching friends get too involved in the transgender battle for instance and they kind of lost their minds. They lost their reputations, they lost their families, they lost all of their work. And their life just became this battle."

BC's shit stack is going to explode in verbal diarrhea in 3...2...1.

Ex_GC

I can picture it already. 'You're an intellectual fraud and a coward, Jon Ronson!'

For the non-Twitter people

Kankurette

Quote from: Ex_GC on May 13, 2022, 06:15:45 PMAnd they'll say 'I've been left wing my whole life'. Ok so the right have been wrong on marriage equality, wrong on reproductive rights etc but they just happen to be right on this thing? What are the odds!
And they never stop to question just why the right agree with them, or why a notoriously misogynistic tabloid agrees with them on their pet issue.

Barry Admin

Quote from: mtpromises on May 13, 2022, 08:14:57 PMNeither BC or Icke managed to graduate college.

Speaking of which, Graham is giving his uneducated views on Planned Parenthood Toronto's Cotton Ceiling workshop from 10 years ago.  I was curious how wrong he got it, and it sounds like completely wrong is the answer.

Wow, thanks for actually looking into that. Very easy for people to just base all their rage off titles and covers online.

Anyway, weirdest bit of that update for me is he linked to a site called ChangingMinds.org

QuoteWelcome to ChangingMinds.org, the largest site in the world on all aspects of how we change what others think, believe, feel and do. There are already around 7000 pages here, all free and with much more to come!

Gee I wonder why he's been reading that site for aspiring salesmen and creepy fucking pickup artists:

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Barry Admin on May 13, 2022, 08:59:47 PMWow, thanks for actually looking into that. Very easy for people to just base all their rage off titles and covers online.

Anyway, weirdest bit of that update for me is he linked to a site called ChangingMinds.org

Gee I wonder why he's been reading that site for aspiring salesmen and creepy fucking pickup artists:

No no Barry you see that's what the TRAs are doing! Fixing YouGov polls and denying reality and NAME-CALLING, all things Graham would never do, except when somebody deserves it

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

he says that as if he doesn't have at least one sockpuppet account that goes around calling everyone paedos

phes

Swapped his whole life for causin aggro on a social media site then got shitcanned

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on May 13, 2022, 09:45:49 PMBecause that all worked out so well for him before?

Love that Sian copied this for BC but left out your comment. She knows it would be too much for him.

Also, hi Sian *waves*

TommyTurnips

Quote from: BennyHedgehog on May 08, 2022, 02:33:06 PM

I would love it if there was a version of this where he is watching the sitcom "My Hero" starring Ardal O'Hanlon.

Alberon

Part of what fucked Linehan up so bad was being an early adopter of Twitter at the height of his fame.

All the followers convinced him he was a leader with important things to say. It first manifested with him being a Twitter Policeman, but it led him to believe he could use his influence to end this silly gender debate easily.

Then he kept, and indeed keeps, doubling down and we end up here.

Astonishing really.

Kankurette