Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:44:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recession thread Part XXVIII

Started by Alberon, May 05, 2022, 12:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

It looks very likely that the UK is heading officially into recession this year. Inflation is expected to peak at 10% and the Bank of England has just announced interest rates are going up a quarter percent to 1%.

In short things are looking like they're going to get a lot rougher over the next few years than they've been over the last ten. It looks like the biggest decrease in the general standard of living since the 70s.

Still, we've got the jubilee to look forward to, eh?

Butchers Blind

Always crashing in the same car.

Blumf

Well, better start punishing the people responsible for this mess again: Time for Austerity 2™!

bgmnts

According to news, eergy bills skyrocketing and Shell posting a MASSIVE profit.

Absolutely incredible level of evil there innit?

Seriously though is there any wonder so many people end up committing suicide when this is life. Just a series of endless injustices and crimes like this that we just have to suck up? It boggles my mind that more people aren't topping themselves because what's the point? Like okay if you're fine with all this absurd level of injustice and you can just get on but there is literally no solution for anyone who isn't okay with that. You can't pop a pill to block that out can you?

Jerrykeshton

Quote from: bgmnts on May 05, 2022, 11:07:41 PMAccording to news, eergy bills skyrocketing and Shell posting a MASSIVE profit.

Absolutely incredible level of evil there innit?

Seriously though is there any wonder so many people end up committing suicide when this is life. Just a series of endless injustices and crimes like this that we just have to suck up? It boggles my mind that more people aren't topping themselves because what's the point? Like okay if you're fine with all this absurd level of injustice and you can just get on but there is literally no solution for anyone who isn't okay with that. You can't pop a pill to block that out can you?

It boggles my mind that the people behind the continual injustices aren't rounded up 'sheepdog' style and forced off a cliff.

bgmnts

It makes me sad that that is what I want. It shouldn't be that way.

For clarity, 7 billion profit this QUARTER for Shell. 5 billion for BP I think.

Hope Putin does go mental with the nukes to be honest.

SpiderChrist

I feel the same way. Just shit upon shit upon shit heaped on to people.

Found myself last night hoping that I didn't wake up this morning. I'm absolutely terrified of the future.

The Dog

Quote from: bgmnts on May 05, 2022, 11:51:42 PMIt makes me sad that that is what I want. It shouldn't be that way.

For clarity, 7 billion profit this QUARTER for Shell. 5 billion for BP I think.

Hope Putin does go mental with the nukes to be honest.

Actually BP lost $20bn this quarter.

WSJ

Hope that makes you feel better.

The Giggling Bean

Quote from: SpiderChrist on May 06, 2022, 07:15:58 AMI feel the same way. Just shit upon shit upon shit heaped on to people.

Found myself last night hoping that I didn't wake up this morning. I'm absolutely terrified of the future.

I'm really glad I'm not alone in that. My anxiety is beginning to spike again because the future just looks like a dark tunnel. I genuinely can't see how things can improve.

QuoteSeriously though is there any wonder so many people end up committing suicide when this is life. Just a series of endless injustices and crimes like this that we just have to suck up? It boggles my mind that more people aren't topping themselves because what's the point? Like okay if you're fine with all this absurd level of injustice and you can just get on but there is literally no solution for anyone who isn't okay with that. You can't pop a pill to block that out can you?

This is exactly it. Whilst I'm not contemplating suicide I am wondering what the point of living is. I've got my wife and child who make me think "no matter how bad things are, I've got them" but then I feel guilt when I look around at the world I've brought my little one into.

I'm angry about everything that's going on. I'm angry that our futures and wellbeing are dictated by a gang of obscenely wealthy psychopaths who'd think nothing of seeing us all dead if there was a few more quid in it for them. What the fuck is the end game? You can look at your bank balance and know you've got more money you can spend in 5 lifetimes yet you do nothing with it?

I'm not okay with the injustices, crimes and blatant lies that are being rubbed in our faces every day. It's obvious that there's one vat of shit with 3 pipes and our choice is only "what colour Conservative do you want".

It seems they're actively going out of their way to hurt the population now. It infuriates me that there's still people out there voting for them and believing they're doing a good job.

I'm tired of this country. I'm tired of the constant hate that's spilled out and the scapegoating. It seems we're a nation running on hate at the moment...but not at the people who most deserve it. If I could afford it I'd look to move to Scotland, Wales or somewhere like Finland.

I spend far too much time worrying about politics and the implications on my and my families lives and its really depressing me.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: The Giggling Bean on May 06, 2022, 08:20:32 AMI'm really glad I'm not alone in that. My anxiety is beginning to spike again because the future just looks like a dark tunnel. I genuinely can't see how things can improve.

This is exactly it. Whilst I'm not contemplating suicide I am wondering what the point of living is. I've got my wife and child who make me think "no matter how bad things are, I've got them" but then I feel guilt when I look around at the world I've brought my little one into.

I'm angry about everything that's going on. I'm angry that our futures and wellbeing are dictated by a gang of obscenely wealthy psychopaths who'd think nothing of seeing us all dead if there was a few more quid in it for them. What the fuck is the end game? You can look at your bank balance and know you've got more money you can spend in 5 lifetimes yet you do nothing with it?

I'm not okay with the injustices, crimes and blatant lies that are being rubbed in our faces every day. It's obvious that there's one vat of shit with 3 pipes and our choice is only "what colour Conservative do you want".

It seems they're actively going out of their way to hurt the population now. It infuriates me that there's still people out there voting for them and believing they're doing a good job.

I'm tired of this country. I'm tired of the constant hate that's spilled out and the scapegoating. It seems we're a nation running on hate at the moment...but not at the people who most deserve it. If I could afford it I'd look to move to Scotland, Wales or somewhere like Finland.

I spend far too much time worrying about politics and the implications on my and my families lives and its really depressing me.

Just on that one point - I agree about how shit things are right now, but you shouldn't feel guilty about bringing life into it - there's still joy in life, even when things are shit, you'll find people from much worse situations than we're going through who are still glad they were born

The Giggling Bean

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on May 06, 2022, 08:26:42 AMJust on that one point - I agree about how shit things are right now, but you shouldn't feel guilty about bringing life into it - there's still joy in life, even when things are shit, you'll find people from much worse situations than we're going through who are still glad they were born

At the moment it's really only my little one who manages to take my mind off things and brings me joy. At least I can try and raise her to try and make a difference (or at least, hate the Tories).

It's just when I'm hearing threats of nuclear war and the rising struggles and stresses of life along with the pressures of school etc.

However my kid is my anchor that brings me joy.

ZoyzaSorris

I mean I feel sorry for all the poor people and that who are about to find it basically impossible to live.

But the most important question is, do I sell my London house I was stupidly lucky to happen to buy at the 2010 dip and pocket the 600k its since gone up in currently useless paper value (due to no effort on my part) before it goes all up in smoke, go live in a caravan for a bit or something? Of course with inflation running rampant, any money I was sitting on would be eroding anyway, although if house prices were to crash that'd potentially outweigh that...I know Tory policy is firmly based around propping up house prices no matter what, but surely at some point the tools to battle reality begin to fail??

(slight addendum before I get lynched, I don't have a large income at all and am basically just about getting by in terms of real money, and the massively inflated house prices are basically of no use to me whatsoever other than making it prohibitively expensive to move house)

Butchers Blind

Basically just existing, not living.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: The Giggling Bean on May 06, 2022, 08:34:53 AMAt the moment it's really only my little one who manages to take my mind off things and brings me joy. At least I can try and raise her to try and make a difference (or at least, hate the Tories).

It's just when I'm hearing threats of nuclear war and the rising struggles and stresses of life along with the pressures of school etc.

However my kid is my anchor that brings me joy.

If I got nuked tommorow, i would not begrudge being alive today. Gonna make a daal in a bit

KennyMonster

Since the 2008 crash, (maybe even before that), the is/is not recession seems to be irrelevant.

Personally I thought that we've been in recession all that time since then.

When the economy is doing well the poorest still get fucked over and the middle work more, longer and for less for fear of becoming the poor, only the "1%" thrive.

In a recession, the margins change for those groups, apart from at the very top, don't they?

Paul Calf

I'm amazed and a little bit comforted by the optimism of someone who would bring a child into this world as it is now.

At the same time, I wonder how much some of them have really thought about it.

KennyMonster

Quote from: Paul Calf on May 06, 2022, 10:35:45 AMI wonder how much some of them have really thought about it.

I think about this stuff, like, ALL the time,

although to be fair, I focus my thoughts a lot more on the act of creation rather than what to do afterwards.

The Giggling Bean

Quote from: Paul Calf on May 06, 2022, 10:35:45 AMI'm amazed and a little bit comforted by the optimism of someone who would bring a child into this world as it is now.

At the same time, I wonder how much some of them have really thought about it.

My little one was born in 2016, just as Brexit and Trump were taking off. Things weren't as bleak as they are now, still on the verge of relative stability. In fact we never thought we'd be able to have children as we tried unsuccessfully for 10 yrs, she felt like a miracle it. My kid is a shining light of joy and hope and I'm delighted to have her.

My biggest concern is being able to continue providing for her and my wife. We both work relatively stable jobs but obviously this cost of living crisis is rising with no end in sight. The world is in such an unstable state its hard to find any hope or optimism for the future.

Paul Calf

Quote from: KennyMonster on May 06, 2022, 10:53:00 AMI think about this stuff, like, ALL the time,

although to be fair, I focus my thoughts a lot more on the act of creation rather than what to do afterwards.

It wasn't aimed at you, or anyone else in this thread. I know a few people who've done it, and I just can't understand how someone looks at this world and thinks "This is a world I wish to bequeath to my offspring". It seems that the future of the West - and in fact, the whole world - is to subsist on diminishing access to resources, pandemic, vulnerability to domination by a richer, stronger, more ruthless culture and eventually scratch out a living in the ravaged dirt and extreme weather of a post-temperate world.

Zero Gravitas

Quote from: Paul Calf on May 06, 2022, 10:59:43 AMIt wasn't aimed at you, or anyone else in this thread. It seems that the future of the West - and in fact, the whole world - is to subsist on diminishing access to resources, pandemic, vulnerability to domination by a richer, stronger, more ruthless culture and eventually scratch out a living in the ravaged dirt and extreme weather of a post-temperate world.

I like to group most of that under the general heading of 'The Water Wars' but yeah, it is a terrible sin to have committed, over and above having dragged a new consciousness from the void, having dragged them into this.

Paul Calf

I don't know if it's a sin - I like to think of it as something that pricks my righteous pessimism. I honestly don't know whether it is though.

Fry

Quote from: Paul Calf on May 06, 2022, 10:59:43 AMIt wasn't aimed at you, or anyone else in this thread. I know a few people who've done it, and I just can't understand how someone looks at this world and thinks "This is a world I wish to bequeath to my offspring". It seems that the future of the West - and in fact, the whole world - is to subsist on diminishing access to resources, pandemic, vulnerability to domination by a richer, stronger, more ruthless culture and eventually scratch out a living in the ravaged dirt and extreme weather of a post-temperate world.

I'm doing it so my wife and mum will stop having a go at me.

Paul Calf

:D

Quote from: Fry on May 06, 2022, 11:08:36 AMI'm doing it so my wife and mum will stop having a go at me.

I think that's one of The Three Reasons.

Harry Badger

My apologies for returning to this theme which I do tend to shoehorn in (though it is very relevant here) and to those of you who are suffering mentally at the moment with the continuing economic fuckdown. You have my sympathy for I am in the same boat and have been struggling to see the point for a while now.

I believe we are now entering a new stage in this version of civilisation. What we, in the west at least, have come to regard as the norm over the past decades - by this I mean relatively cheap energy and all that that permits in the form of commerce, agriculture cheap credit and technology - will eventually come to be seen for what it is: a temporary upward blip, and one-off splurge that is now coming to an end. Previous energy crunches were oversome by bringing a newer, better form of energy online - wood to coal, coal to oil.

There is no equivalent new and better form of energy coming to the rescue now, as our dwindling supplies of gas and oil become more expensive (both in terms of energy and money) to extract.  I don't think people really understand the implications of this.

pk1yen

Quote from: Harry Badger on May 06, 2022, 11:29:44 AMThere is no equivalent new and better form of energy coming to the rescue now, as our dwindling supplies of gas and oil become more expensive (both in terms of energy and money) to extract.  I don't think people really understand the implications of this.

I mean, renewables, surely? We were never going to move to renewables without being forced to. You could argue that we need these mad price rises to push us into actually making a move.

They're being held back for political reasons, so that's something that could be fixed if we weren't a nation of sycophants.

Alberon

Renewables and Nuclear.

Problem is that even if we make it as legally easy to build nuclear stations as possible it's still going to be a good decade before they come online. One day, decades from now, we should get cleaner Nuclear Fusion, until then we're stuck with fission.

Fossil fuels are expected to drop in price again, in a year or two, but the second energy price hike to hit in the autumn will be the breaking point. Things aren't sustainable now, but that is going make the situation many times worse.

shoulders

The potential renewable energy capacity of the UK is ridiculously good versus most countries (excl those with large hydro power), and it's excruciatingly embarrassing that due to the fossil fuel lobby and similarly archaic political figures we still haven't exploited it and are left lumbering the nation with another generation of nuclear plants and the enormous decommissioning costs and waste legacy.

Why don't green campaigners just promote green on the basis of energy security.

Endicott

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on May 06, 2022, 09:24:05 AMI mean I feel sorry for all the poor people and that who are about to find it basically impossible to live.

But the most important question is, do I sell my London house I was stupidly lucky to happen to buy at the 2010 dip and pocket the 600k its since gone up in currently useless paper value (due to no effort on my part) before it goes all up in smoke, go live in a caravan for a bit or something? Of course with inflation running rampant, any money I was sitting on would be eroding anyway, although if house prices were to crash that'd potentially outweigh that...I know Tory policy is firmly based around propping up house prices no matter what, but surely at some point the tools to battle reality begin to fail??

(slight addendum before I get lynched, I don't have a large income at all and am basically just about getting by in terms of real money, and the massively inflated house prices are basically of no use to me whatsoever other than making it prohibitively expensive to move house)

Unless you are going to move out of that London and buy a house significantly more cheaply somewhere else, I don't see the point. I presume your work means you can't do that?

I mean, it's still a house. It has intrinsic worth of providing you with good permanent shelter, above whatever the market says it's worth in pounds pence.

Twit 2

I've been thinking all this stuff for years. Had my daughter in 2010. No way I would have had her post-2015. The human race (along with nearly all life on Earth) will be extinct a lot quicker than most people are willing to accept. The coming decades will be a slide into hell. My only solution: enjoy what you do have now, before it's gone.