Glebe
45381 Posts

Buelligan
41523 Posts

NoSleep
33122 Posts

Jemble Fred
30627 Posts

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

May 21, 2022, 12:54:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Standup Comedy Lessons on the NHS

Started by TrenterPercenter, May 09, 2022, 10:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

"You know what it's like, Saturday night, all alone, those intrusive thoughts, cmon you all know."

"D'ya remember cutting your arm as a cry for help when you were a kid eh!? Eh!?"

"Counselling! What's all that about?"

Seriously though what a cool idea. Although I have found the pressure to be funny immense and I am surprised it works.

Flouncer

Can confirm that NHS mental health services are a joke.

Fr.Bigley

"My wife left me, I've lost my job, I'm facing homelessness and I can't see a way out.."

"Well if you can't laugh...."

The Mollusk

Not much to add except that it sounds like a lovely idea. As someone who's battled depression and occasional suicidal thoughts for many years and found a lot of healing and comfort in comedy, reading this got me quite choked up.

H-O-W-L

This sounds like one of the ideas banded around in The Thick of It but might actually do some good.

Mr_Simnock

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I get the feeling that the 100 people they perform in front of at the end are probably carefully selected, or at least told to be nice. I doubt there'd be any heckling if they bottled it.

retsuza

thenoise

privatefriend

I was actually referred for this by my GP after feeling like a pair of curtains.

The Ombudsman

Would a nasty side effect of this prescription be bombing?

H-O-W-L

Sebastian Cobb

The Ombudsman

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 10, 2022, 12:33:56 PMThey're getting free prostitutes as well?

They tried in Germany.

QuotePatients would need doctor's approval before filling a sex prescription.

sex prescription!

Memorex MP3

I done one of these a few years ago with zero intention of following up on it (i.e. didn't even attend the final thing); the class was shite but tbh the setting was pretty great as a group therapy type thing. Actively a positive to be a bit weird (once it's not excessive and you're somewhat receptive), got people to open up pretty quickly; the people who were absolutely hating it bailed after one week too.

Def felt like the kind of environment where you could potentially adapt it somehow into a means of indoctrinating people into a cult.