Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:04:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Detectorists special

Started by Wayman C. McCreery, May 11, 2022, 07:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twilkes

Yes maybe loopy wasn't the right word, but it definitely feels (in retrospect, that may even have been the way it was discovered while S2 was being written) that Sheila is in some kind of post-breakdown state and Terry is being hugely supportive but still slightly wistful for the woman he originally married, just based on some of the looks he gives her directly and some of the looks he gives when she or others aren't watching.

Malcy

Quote from: mobias on January 09, 2023, 07:43:31 PMGOOD GOD! I didn't know that either.

Neither did I until a couple of years ago.

Quote from: Twilkes on January 09, 2023, 07:52:43 PMYes maybe loopy wasn't the right word, but it definitely feels (in retrospect, that may even have been the way it was discovered while S2 was being written) that Sheila is in some kind of post-breakdown state and Terry is being hugely supportive but still slightly wistful for the woman he originally married.

I'd never considered that until now. If your interpretation is right (and who's to say if it is or isn't?) then that makes Mackenzie's writing of those two even better.

Quote from: mobias on January 09, 2023, 06:55:41 PMSo many of the set ups would never happen in real life but it doesn't mean to say they can't be done for comedic dramatic effect. The series has been like that from the start. If it was aiming for searing social realism I don't think for a single second Andy would have got the job in Africa on the strength of his non interview at the end of series 2. You could pick plot holes and unrealistic set ups in it all day long if you really wanted to.

Yeah, I understood some of the criticism of the special (I personally thought it was superb) but I thought any comments about it being a bit far-fetched were off the mark given some of the show's form for unrealistic moments: Terry surviving a bomb exploding with minor injuries, the farmer being arrested for murder because some dog bones were found on his land, Lance hearing horses before he decides to go back to the spot where he then finds gold, THE CURSE OF THE GOLD, gold coins falling from a bird's nest as Andy and Lance are walking past...

People didn't like the perfect conclusion to the third series being undone by the special (which, again, I get - though I was fine with it myself), but if anything what ended up happening was realistic - it made much more sense for Simon and Garfunkel to have been awarded the money for the gold than for DMDC to have been given it. It certainly wasn't a Fools and Horses-style reset. It's just that it hadn't ended quite as perfectly as we thought it had.

jobotic

Quote from: Malcy on January 09, 2023, 07:27:26 PMIt's Sophie Thompson isn't it? Sister of Emma Thompson.

I didn't know that either. She's great but looking at her credits I've never seen her in anything other than playing a shite character in Eastenders.

Twilkes

Quote from: jobotic on January 09, 2023, 09:14:59 PMI didn't know that either. She's great but looking at her credits I've never seen her in anything other than playing a shite character in Eastenders.

She's done a lot of stage work, nominated for an Olivier six times.

jobotic

Yes I see. I wasn't meaning to be disparaging about her, I just don't go to the theatre.

spicedgold

I think I would've preferred if this special didn't exist, all in all

Ferris

Ferris

Noodle Lizard

idunnosomename

M&S bag for life in the boot lol

Ferris

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 17, 2023, 08:16:30 PMM&S bag for life in the boot lol

I had a chuckle at that and all. Lovely stuff, couldn't even be arsed to move it when taking the photos.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

QuoteLocation: PICKERING

that's great though, presumably it'll fetch a bit more than that estimate?

Armed Traffic Warden

You know how every once in a while you suddenly realise something blindingly obvious as a great revelation?

Well, lord knows why, as I don't believe I was thinking about the detectorists but it suddenly occurred to me that all of Andy's temp/agency jobs involve him walking around with something in his hand, focusing on the ground. It's so obviously a gag and I'm no doubt alone in not noticing but I thought I'd share my birth from the vagina of ignorance.

shiftwork2

That was done so subtly.  I like the implication that even Andy hadn't realised it.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Armed Traffic Warden on May 03, 2023, 10:31:04 AM...all of Andy's temp/agency jobs involve him walking around with something in his hand, focusing on the ground...

I wish there was a way of posting this without sounding like I'm calling you a massive dimbo...

No, sorry. I suppose it is done quite subtly (like most of the jokes in this, it's undersold). I was sure someone mentioned it on one of the other Detectorist threads, but I can't find it. Actually, those threads are well worth a read, as it seems that it seemed to take a while for the *average opinion* on here to warm up.

Ferris

I'll put my hand up as someone who never connected the "Andy's temp jobs are just like detecting" gag.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

yeah me neither that's great

Quote from: gilbertharding on May 03, 2023, 02:15:49 PMI was sure someone mentioned it on one of the other Detectorist threads, but I can't find it.

I seem to remember someone mentioned the similarity when he was spraying the weedkiller by the road (the episode where he discovers the cottage?)

Edit: tempted to rewatch the xmas '22 special now.

Quote from: Rob1969in on January 09, 2023, 07:44:30 PMbut yes I was very annoyed Simon And Garfunkel became the bad guys again as it was a lovely ending in series 3 with them all getting on.

I agree with this, I was annoyed too and get like the special somewhat spoilt a perfect ending in a few ways.