Support CaB

Subscribers don't see this.

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

May 24, 2022, 10:51:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Hacks (2021) (Amazon Prime)

Started by Blue Jam, May 12, 2022, 03:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Not to be confused with the 2012 phone hacking comedy or the 1997 film. This is the 2021 sitcom from the people who brought you Broad City and Parks and Rec:

Deborah Vance (Jean Smart). Insufferable diva, lousy mother, and veteran comedian whose Las Vegas residency may be coming to a premature end. Enter Ava (Hannah Einbinder), a young and entitled Hollywood-based writer at the start of what is obviously going to be a long and successful career, and who thinks the job of writing jokes for a has-been while living in a tacky resort hotel is beneath her, but takes it anyway because she's admittedly desperate for work. Deborah and Ava meet and it's contempt at first sight... and after trading a few insults and realising they both give as good as they get, Deborah gives Ava the job. Hey, it might even be fun embracing the las Vegas high roller lifestyle, acting the diva and enjoying all those free drinks...

Started this last night on a recommendation, only two episodes in and loving it so far. As a show about writers with a fish-out-of-water situation, it has a bit of an Episodes feel, a bit Curb with the awkwardness of all of Deborah's diva-like behaviour and how people deal with it, a bit Kominsky Method with a fading celebrity desperately trying to stay relevant and cling onto their career, and Ava has a bit of Kimmy Schmidt's naive sense of fun and energy she can't quite hide under the affected cynicism. Enough of comparing it to other things though, Jean Smart is great as an entitled old bitch and Hannah Einbinder is great as an entitled young brat, and I can feel a strangely heartwarming undercurrent developing already. It's also nicely shot and edited and looks beautiful. Any other fans here?

Also I did look for a thread and couldn't find one, someone link me up if I missed it please!

Wezzo

Big fan of this - Smart and Einbinder are fantastic together - and fortuitous timing for creating the thread, as season 2 starts on HBO Max in the US today.

Yeah, I watched this last year and it's good stuff - didn't know S02 was starting so thanks.

Dex Sawash

Doing my once every six month peek at comchat to say I liked it too.